Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are you getting to slam?

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-18, 04:03

Playing 2/1 with some gimmicks, do you have a sensible auction to get to a diamond slam? How about if you are playing Kokish/2C?

xxx
x
Axxxxx
A10x

AKx
AQ10xxx
KQ
Kx

Thanks
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-July-18, 05:13

2C-P-3D
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 06:03

View Postkenrexford, on 2014-July-18, 05:13, said:

2C-P-3D

Probably works, but I would open 1, likely stopping in game.

Are we sure we want to be in this slam?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 08:13

2C-P-3D

To me, 3D should promise 5+ cards and 2 of the top 3 .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#5 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 08:45

2C-P-3D

What are your suit quality requirements for this bid. I thought Axxxxx wasn't quite good enough - or is it dependent on the rest of the hand?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-July-18, 09:59

A positive response shows values (two Aces surely qualifies) with a good suit. A suit is good if good enough for a weak two, meaning two of the top three honors if a five-card suit. Ace sixth is good enough, especially when holding a second Ace.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-July-18, 11:13

View Postthe_dude, on 2014-July-18, 08:45, said:

What are your suit quality requirements for this bid. I thought Axxxxx wasn't quite good enough - or is it dependent on the rest of the hand?

Bear in mind that some posters may tailor their bidding theories to cater to the hand known to exist :P

In addition, my own views are that the North hand has too much potential in spades and clubs, and far too much slam potential opposite a 2N rebid by opener, to pre-empt the auction via 3. My preference is to reserve 3m responses for very one-dimensional hands with limited values....2 of the top 3, and if they are KQ, then a side K or Q, but definitely no side A. Give me a KQxxx suit and a side Ace, and we are almost in a slam force opposite a 22-23 balanced hand.

Given that most experienced pairs have complex methods over strong 2N rebids by partner, and are generally just groping their way after, say, 2 3 3N, and basically starting slam exploration a level higher, my opinion is that 95% of responding hands to 2 will bid one of an immediate negative 2 (if that is in your tool box) and a positive, gf (or waiting, if you don't play immediate negatives) 2.

Note how hearing either a 2N or a 2 rebid will make you happy you stayed low, and even a 2 bid doesn't ruin your day, despite the fact that it may prove to be a kokish action.

Anyway, for me this is all moot. While I have, in recent years and partly as a result of reading these forums, lowered my 2 requirements, they haven't quite got this low.

I really think that the minor holdings are not worth as much as I suspect most 2 bidders feel them to be, and I really don't like not having at least the heart J. So I would open 1.

Now, if you need a 6 count to respond to 1, by all means open 2 :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-July-18, 11:43

I should have said: I don't think I am getting to slam. Long ago stopped worrying about missing some borderline contracts, especially slams.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-July-18, 12:50

View Postmikeh, on 2014-July-18, 11:13, said:

Bear in mind that some posters may tailor their bidding theories to cater to the hand known to exist :P

In addition, my own views are that the North hand has too much potential in spades and clubs, and far too much slam potential opposite a 2N rebid by opener, to pre-empt the auction via 3. My preference is to reserve 3m responses for very one-dimensional hands with limited values....2 of the top 3, and if they are KQ, then a side K or Q, but definitely no side A. Give me a KQxxx suit and a side Ace, and we are almost in a slam force opposite a 22-23 balanced hand.

Given that most experienced pairs have complex methods over strong 2N rebids by partner, and are generally just groping their way after, say, 2 3 3N, and basically starting slam exploration a level higher, my opinion is that 95% of responding hands to 2 will bid one of an immediate negative 2 (if that is in your tool box) and a positive, gf (or waiting, if you don't play immediate negatives) 2.

Note how hearing either a 2N or a 2 rebid will make you happy you stayed low, and even a 2 bid doesn't ruin your day, despite the fact that it may prove to be a kokish action.

Anyway, for me this is all moot. While I have, in recent years and partly as a result of reading these forums, lowered my 2 requirements, they haven't quite got this low.

I really think that the minor holdings are not worth as much as I suspect most 2 bidders feel them to be, and I really don't like not having at least the heart J. So I would open 1.

Now, if you need a 6 count to respond to 1, by all means open 2 :P

Sometimes, I swear you drive me nuts. Tailoring responses to the situation?!?!

It is fairly universal that the "standard" positive response shows sound values (8+ HCP -- this qualifies) plus a "good suit." The "definition" of a "good suit" is fairly universally HHxxx if a five-card suit, but lesser honor contributions if a 6+ suit. A couple of minutes checking various reliable sources available on the internet will establish this.

Thus, first of all, it seems rather unnecessary and rude to suggest catering when the call meets nearly exactly the accepted definition for a positive response simply because your style happens to be narrower.

You dislike 3 in part because of the preemption. The spade suit is not preempted, as Opener can easily bid 3, which you can raise. The diamond suit is only preempted if you do not bid 3, because few have a way to show a good hand with diamonds below 3NT.

If your point was to describe an alternative treatment, that's fine. Limited meanings for 3 are playable. But, your suggestion is that "bidding theories" have been tailored by me to a situation, in response to a question about what a positive response "shows." You are doing a disservice providing a pet treatment as if it were standard. The standard for a positive is 8+ HCP with a good suit, and a good suit means 2/3 top honors if 5-card, or a longer suit.

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 14:38

May miss slam:

2c=2d
2h=3d
3h=3nt?
p?

or

2c=2d
2h=3d
3h=4nt(quant not rkc)
?

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-18, 15:02

This is an awkward hand, we wouldn't open 2 unless we were going to treat it as a 22-23 3523, so I suspect we'd start with 1 and miss it.

It's not a great slam but is OK, you are likely to be able to ruff the hearts good.

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-19, 09:05

View Postmikeh, on 2014-July-18, 11:13, said:

Strongly agree. Short suit honors and a long suit full of gaps. Conceivably, this hand might only take 6 tricks opposite a yarb. For sure 1 in my book.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2014-July-19, 10:01

As a related aside, I wonder if the time has come to have a puppet 3H rebid show 5 or 6 hearts, with 3S unwind.

-P.J. Painter.

#14 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-July-19, 15:04

I count 8 winners, plus one potential winner by finessing in hearts. I've got more brains than to WANT to get to slam.

#15 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-19, 18:17

This ain't a 2 opening. I like to open 2 pretty light, but I have a yardstick - game is basically cold opposite a perfecto 3334 with one king AND I have a bunch of high cards.

I would probably bid 1-1NT-3NT pass. For me 3NT show 19-21 bal with 6 hearts and responder will probably drop. Given that we have decent play for grand, the answer is that responder maybe should move - the two aces are huge. But I would need to do a sim to prove it.

#16 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-July-19, 18:45

My sims, all double dummy, suggest that 4 is usually better than than 3NT (91% v 85%). 6 is great whenever partner has three diamonds (74%). 6 is ok when partner has two diamonds (44%).

Given that it seems right to pull to 4 and if partner makes encouraging noises drive to 6 otherwise hope to rest in 4, if that is natural (or maybe 4NT).
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users