BBO Discussion Forums: How many keys do you show - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many keys do you show

Poll: How many keys do you show (31 member(s) have cast votes)

How many key cards would you show over the exclusion 5 Club bid

1. One (31 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Two (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Three (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-July-17, 21:26

Had this one and partner and I were not on the same page despite a meta rule for this situation. Ignoring for the moment, how many key cards do you think you have for partner? After some voting, I will mention what the meta rule is and see if that might alter your answer.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-17, 21:34

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I couldn't have a worse hand for partner on this auction, could I?
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#3 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2014-July-17, 21:59

Partner asked a question I give the answer. I appear to have one key card I can't think of a reason to show a different number. Exclusion is not used for me in the first instance to exercise any judgement. It is for me to count up my key cards and trust that partner has exercised good judgement.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-18, 00:26

I thought the question was going to be about 0 vs 1, not 1 vs 2... If we had had an agreement about 5-keycard exclusion, I trust you would've told us.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-July-18, 02:19

One key card.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 02:42

I can see a case for two keycards: With 6 or 7 hearts, p might have taken a different route since he would have been interested in the queen. If he has eight small ones we have effectively AK. Then again, he could have eight to the king in which case he'll probably bid seven missing A if we show two.

If he has seven to the king it probably doesn't matter since he won't bid seven missing Q anyway. Or maybe he would? We could have three heart or the queen or the finesse could work.

Obviously if he has eight he is more likely to have the king. So showing two keycards is much more likely to work poorly than to work well.

I show one. If he signs off we might just be missing one ace but again, he is more likely to have K and be missing the other aces.

Edit: lol, I somehow thought he had transfered rather than Stayman :)
It would make some sense to show two, then. It's only if p is 4-6 in the majors that the queen is not relevant.

This post has been edited by helene_t: 2014-July-18, 03:04

The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-July-18, 02:57

Helen, which hand with an 8-card suit bids Stayman?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 03:01

Gee how many do I have? Can I make any valid excuse to tell I have more or less? Highly doubtful imho. If partner doesn't have his call it isn't my problem.

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 03:47

Why is this posted under "Expert-Class Bridge" ?

Do you want to establish a meta rule whereby a limited hand shows the number of key-cards minus the ones held in the void suit?

There may be merit in this idea, but my mental capacity for disasters at the Bridge table is already on overrun. :D

Rainer Herrmann

#10 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 03:52

I give the simple answer of one, but I can see that there is a case for playing 6 ace responses, as partner is likely to be {445}x shape, so two might be your agreement.

Edit :

If that is your agreement, I play a 3-suited method of ace asking that also counts the Q of trumps in the initial response, so that makes 3 key cards. Putting them all in one bid, when you know all 3 suits are important, gives room for a side suit Q ask when this can be important for a running suit and the 13th trick.

#11 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 04:38

I don't see how a meta rule can really apply. If you wanted a specific rule that the side kings count in situations where our trump fit can't be that big, then that's fine (although I think it is folly, since it is surely an accident in waiting).

Besides, partner could have:

Axx
AJxx
AKQxxx
-

On which he just wants a straight response.

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 05:33

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-18, 04:38, said:

I don't see how a meta rule can really apply. If you wanted a specific rule that the side kings count in situations where our trump fit can't be that big, then that's fine (although I think it is folly, since it is surely an accident in waiting).

Axx
AJxx
AKQxxx
-

I don't think he has the HAJ given that we have those. :)

I also can't see why one would give any other response than one key card here. We have wasted KQ so no upgrades are possible, and we don't want partner blasting grand off an ace... I will show the HQ if he asks for it, of course.

ahydra

#13 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 05:43

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-18, 04:38, said:

Axx
AJxx
AKQxxx
-

Does he? Wouldn't he like to know immediately of the K, so that he can then ask for the Q?

#14 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 05:49

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-July-18, 05:43, said:

Does he? Wouldn't he like to know immediately of the K, so that he can then ask for the Q?

How would he go about that, if that were his aim?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 05:52

Wouldn't he like to know immediately of the K, so that he can then ask for the Q?

no

#16 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 06:26

Not unless you need 15 tricks for a grand slam.

And yes, I transposed the heart honours, but the point about answering honestly holds.

#17 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 06:57

View Postgordontd, on 2014-July-18, 05:49, said:

How would he go about that, if that were his aim?

If your keycard reply showed the number of keycards (out of 7, AK in each suit plus the trump Q), and you had all of them between you, then the next step could be the side Q ask.

I have 4 step responses to the side Q ask; none, lower ranking, higher ranking, both. For this to work and keep below 6 on the wrong reply, this hypothetical responder hand would need to hear 6 or lower as the keycard response. Over 6, 6 is the side Q ask, and "none" puts you in the small slam, while the hoped-for 6NT lets you bid 7.

I don't play this over exclusion myself, but have it as part of the 3-suited open continuations, where the bidding starts lower. If you played it over exclusion, you would probably want to have compacted responses with an assumption that when teller has opened he will have a minimum of 2 out of the 7 - he can't have 0, and 1 is unlikely in this case. Your step keycard responses here could then be 2or5, 3or6, 4or7. The bidding could go 5 5 showing the 3 you need to make the complete set of 7, 5(side Q ask) 6(1, the higher ranking), 7.

#18 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 07:03

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-18, 06:26, said:

Not unless you need 15 tricks for a grand slam.

Maybe that's why I am not an expert; I never trust myself in a grand slam unless I can see 15 tricks.

#19 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-July-18, 07:58

It seems that world is voting one key card.

See if this would affect your decision. Partner's auction showed hearts and spades. Why? With just hearts he would transfer to 2 then use Exclusion. The fact he went through stayman then jumped to 5 showed a spade suit by clear implication.

Our agreement is after notrump opening (1 or 2NT), if responder shows a two suiter then uses Blackwood after a fit is found, we use SIX keycard blackwood, four aces, and the kings of the two anchor suits partner showed (this we got from Book on Keycard Blackwood years ago). Partner agreed with all of you that say to show only one keycard. I followed what I thought was our agreement to show two (spade king, and heart ace). No real problem for us, we reached the laydown 6 contact, partner just tanked for a week before he bid it. He was missing the diamond ACE, and probably should have asked about the heart queen to see if I could I could show the K and heart queen.

If YOU HAD SUCH an agreement related to responder with two suiters, would you have shown two key cards?
--Ben--

#20 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-18, 08:13

No, I don't see why he couldn't be 3460. In any case he hasn't shown a two-suiter. As it happens my diamonds are weak but p doesn't know this. He might think that K is not important because my spade losers might go on his diamonds.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users