Is this a reasonable Gib CC?

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-14, 23:45

Now let's look two Gib example hands.

Hand-A

Hand-B

After sequence 2 - 2,the responder rebid 2nt showing majors stoppers in the normal situations.
But Gib don't follow this rules - rebid-2nt shows 2-3 card ,even with two small card.Gib's 2nt don't promise stopper in .
is this a reasonable Gib CC?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 11:39

What I find more objectionable is the ambiguity over whether 2NT rebid by responder promises enough for game and/or is forcing (thereto).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 13:20

Given the description of the 2NT rebid as 11-13, one would assume it is not game forcing. Descriptions do indicate forcing to 3NT when that is what is intended. So I see no problem on Hand one, opener should rebid 3D which will probably be passed.

On the second hand, responder is certainly too strong for a non-forcing 2NT. Playing 2/1 with the exception of the auction 1D-2C, which some do, responder would have to rebid 3NT. But this is a very difficult hand, no game is good but I am not aware of a system that can stay out of one. Possibly it could go 1D-2C-2D-2NT (if GF)-3S and with the inability to bid 3NT N would bid 4C and pass S's 4D. But even that contract will often be defeated.

Let's think about the second hand without the SQ, making the 2NT rebid reasonable in a non-GF world. Opener with the misfit should still rebid 3D rather than 3NT. You overbid both hands IMO Lycier.

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-16, 01:19

View Postiandayre, on 2014-July-15, 13:20, said:

Given the description of the 2NT rebid as 11-13, one would assume it is not game forcing. Descriptions do indicate forcing to 3NT when that is what is intended. So I see no problem on Hand one, opener should rebid 3D which will probably be passed.

On the second hand, responder is certainly too strong for a non-forcing 2NT. Playing 2/1 with the exception of the auction 1D-2C, which some do, responder would have to rebid 3NT. But this is a very difficult hand, no game is good but I am not aware of a system that can stay out of one. Possibly it could go 1D-2C-2D-2NT (if GF)-3S and with the inability to bid 3NT N would bid 4C and pass S's 4D. But even that contract will often be defeated.

Let's think about the second hand without the SQ, making the 2NT rebid reasonable in a non-GF world. Opener with the misfit should still rebid 3D rather than 3NT. You overbid both hands IMO Lycier.

The first one is way over bid by Lycier. The first is 10 only good in diamonds- North GIB bidding 2NT is bit of an over bid- really should have started with 1NT or rebid 3D.
The second one is reasonably bid by Lycier- its a great 13HCP hand- gotta go for 3NT especially against GIBs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users