• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adjust ? and if so to what ? MI EBU

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-14, 16:54

see below

2 by system is 4+4+ majors, weakish, and was alerted, then announced as such when asked by S, who was unhappy that W then passed out 2N. This went -2 when S showed up with AQJ10xxx, NS can make 2, no more.

Presumably W will show bad hand or bad hand bad suit whichever he plays if he thinks he's playing a weak 2, and then what does E do ? Knowing the players I suspect their arrangement for weak 2s would be fairly classical, so this is already a bent bid, and E should be bidding 3N.

Sorry I mistyped, should be UI rather than MI.

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-July-14, 17:15

Systemically, what are the responses to 2NT?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-July-14, 17:23

View PostRMB1, on 2014-July-14, 17:15, said:

Systemically, what are the responses to 2NT?

The law has an error in cases like this. The question should really be 'what would the systemic responses to 2NT be if they were playing a weak 2?'
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-14, 18:27

View PostVampyr, on 2014-July-14, 17:23, said:

The law has an error in cases like this. The question should really be 'what would the systemic responses to 2NT be if they were playing a weak 2?'

Exactly, I suspect they bid a long suit feature with a maximum and repeat the suit with a minimum when playing a weak 2, I have no idea what 3 is in response to the 2N 44M relay and I suspect neither do they (scratch partnership that randomly agreed to play this without much discussion).

#5 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 01:07

Pretty sure I can find a normal sequence to 6 doubled. Then a PP for West.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#6 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2014-July-15, 01:30

View PostVampyr, on 2014-July-14, 17:23, said:

I wanted to know (about 2-2NT-3m) to determine what responder would do, but it appears that 2NT was just passing the time of day with no agreed responses. If East takes 3m as a feature then he will be encouraged but with no agreements he can't find out about a fifth heart. East is very likely to bid 3NT which West can pass.

Does South have enough to double 3NT? Can East redouble, to play? More knowable unknowns.

I fancy adjusting to a weighted mixture of 3NT-3 NS +150, 3NTX-3 NS +500, 3NTXX-3 NS +1000.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-15, 01:46

S's hand was AQJ10xxx, J10x, K, xx so not enough to double, declarer has Kx, N has basically A and out so unlikely to double.

#8 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 03:39

Hang West high!

#9 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 04:24

View Postpaulg, on 2014-July-15, 01:07, said:

Or maybe 6XX. West rebids something that shows five hearts.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 07:26

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-July-15, 04:24, said:

View Postpaulg, on 2014-July-15, 01:07, said:

Or maybe 6XX. West rebids something that shows five hearts.

I was giving the offending side some degreee of latitude in that West had already run from 5 redoubled.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#11 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 07:36

Are we sure West forgot the system, rather than psyched? I mean, that doesn't look like a first-seat weak two to me.

If West psyched, he can do whatever he wants next. And East has no UI, so no issues there.

ahydra

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-15, 08:13

View Postahydra, on 2014-July-15, 07:36, said:

Are we sure West forgot the system, rather than psyched? I mean, that doesn't look like a first-seat weak two to me.

If West psyched, he can do whatever he wants next. And East has no UI, so no issues there.

ahydra

W thought he was opening substandard weak 2, I'm not sure what the director does if he claimed to have psyched the 44M variant.

#13 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-15, 09:11

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-15, 08:13, said:

W thought he was opening substandard weak 2, I'm not sure what the director does if he claimed to have psyched the 44M variant.

That would have been a self-serving claim which I wouldn't normally believe.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-15, 09:43

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-15, 08:13, said:

I thought he meant that he might have been psyching a weak 2. While he has the appropriate length, 2 points all outside the suit could be considered a gross misrepresentation of his strength.

Since they're a pick-up partnership, they probably never discussed weak 2 style very much. The default assumption would probably be something "normal", not that piece of cheese.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-15, 10:42

View Postbarmar, on 2014-July-15, 09:43, said:

I thought he meant that he might have been psyching a weak 2. While he has the appropriate length, 2 points all outside the suit could be considered a gross misrepresentation of his strength.

Since they're a pick-up partnership, they probably never discussed weak 2 style very much. The default assumption would probably be something "normal", not that piece of cheese.

Where the borderline is between substandard and psychic is always a movable feast. The players have played at the same clubs for years and know each others' general styles, I played with E last week and have played with W before, so it's a partnership that understands partner's general style, but may not have concrete agreements. Both players' general styles would be 4-8/5-9 6 card suit ish.

#16 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2014-July-15, 13:46

"West thought that he was opening a substandard weak 2".

Therefore West should make his next call as though East has responded 2NT to a weak 2. If this is a forcing response then the question becomes: Is pass demonstrably suggested by the UI? The answer is obviously Yes as West is basically panicking (hoping not to be doubled). So the next step is: are there any logical alternatives? Answer 'Yes' - the correct response to 2 Diamonds: 2NT. Now I don't know what the system response is but I cannot see East doing anything else but launching the Old Blackwood and ending up in <some silly 5-level contract - doubled or redoubled> Even 3NT (X or XX) can go more than 3 down (losing 6 Spades, a diamond and a club as EW will surely finesse the Diamond as the only chance of getting a plus score)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#17 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2014-July-15, 14:36

I must say I'm not a fan of adjusting to something redoubled here.

I have never redoubled a contract like any of those mentioned. I have never felt that I missed out. The times I redouble are to suggest doubt or to show an otherwise good hand after a take-out double. The last time a partner of mine redoubled like that we had a massive falling out after we went for 1000 when trumps didn't break (as you could tell from the double!)

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-15, 14:40

View Postweejonnie, on 2014-July-15, 13:46, said:

"West thought that he was opening a substandard weak 2".

Therefore West should make his next call as though East has responded 2NT to a weak 2. If this is a forcing response then the question becomes: Is pass demonstrably suggested by the UI? The answer is obviously Yes as West is basically panicking (hoping not to be doubled). So the next step is: are there any logical alternatives? Answer 'Yes' - the correct response to 2 Diamonds: 2NT. Now I don't know what the system response is but I cannot see East doing anything else but launching the Old Blackwood and ending up in <some silly 5-level contract - doubled or redoubled> Even 3NT (X or XX) can go more than 3 down (losing 6 Spades, a diamond and a club as EW will surely finesse the Diamond as the only chance of getting a plus score)

I think you're going overboard, W will show a bad weak 2 with his next bid and I think E will just bid 3N as W for a bad weak 2 can't have 2 of the 3 missing keycards.

Nobody will double 3N and in practice it will go -3 or -4.

#19 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-16, 02:01

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-July-15, 14:40, said:

I think you're going overboard, W will show a bad weak 2 with his next bid and I think E will just bid 3N as W for a bad weak 2 can't have 2 of the 3 missing keycards.

That doesn't sound right. W will show a bad weak 2, but E will read it as something quite different. Without knowing both the actual system over their conventional 2 and the likely assumed system over a weak 2 it is very hard to know what will happen...

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-July-16, 02:26

View PostWellSpyder, on 2014-July-16, 02:01, said:

That doesn't sound right. W will show a bad weak 2, but E will read it as something quite different. Without knowing both the actual system over their conventional 2 and the likely assumed system over a weak 2 it is very hard to know what will happen...

E has no fit for 4-4M and with that shape, no real chance of slam. I don't know what 3 would mean in the 4-4M sequence and I suspect they don't either, but I strongly suspect E just bids 3N as with the 5-5 or 6-5 partner would need for slam to be good, 3 is probably not what he bids in an undiscussed sequence.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users