• You cannot reply to this topic

Desperately Seeking 3NT

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-14, 00:24

My link

Match Points, ACBL robot individual

I'd be interested to know why South's 3 bid, according to the system notes, conveys no more info than the original overcall. Logic would dictate that the bid show a stopper in furtherance of reaching 3NT; if it's a slam try (unlikely given the original overcall and tepid response) that could be clarified by bidding on over 3NT. I'd also be interested to know why North, holding stoppers in both unbid suits, would not stop off in 3NT on the way to 4 in the given auction. As it is, the successful South's bid 3, which shows a "likely stopper" and then guessed to pass when partner converted to 3NT, or just bid 3NT over 3. Is it not possible to develop the capability to exchange accurate info about stoppers in this type of auction?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-July-14, 13:47

There are some situations dealing with GIB that you just cannot solve. This is one where you are trying to get CHO to cooperate to bid 3NT if it has major suit cards. It does, but it either thinks that they its major suit holdings are insufficient for purposes of bidding 3NT or it never occurred to it to bid 3NT.

So you are forced to guess.

As for the explanation for the 3 bid, that is just silly. Obviously, you are showing extras. And just as obviously, it is a game try - presumably for 3NT but it could be for 5 (you can clarify later if necessary).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users