BBO Discussion Forums: All children should be delinquents - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All children should be delinquents

#1 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-13, 08:31

From John Beckman's story in today's paper:

The older we got, the more dangerous our fun became. We raced on wobbly plastic skateboards down smooth, fast Devon Drive. We crafted jumps from boards and bricks and caught premium air on our Schwinn Sting-Rays — which we also sent sailing off alone on comically reckless “ghost rides.” At one point or another, just about everyone took the plunge from the top of the train bridge into the mouth of Catfish Creek. And while I never had the guts to join the BB-gun wars over in the Southgate neighborhood, I deeply admired them.

But even at our most delinquent — swilling bottles of altar wine stolen from the sacristy or passing around fiery “suicide” concoctions siphoned from our parents’ liquor cabinets — we were learning.

Much of my very worst behavior flooded me with wild, unfamiliar feelings — feelings that, in lasting ways, mapped the outer limits of my ethics. In sixth grade, a shoplifting contest in a convenience store thrilled me to the point of nausea. It was an experience I never wished to repeat. And I still shudder to recall the hair-raising afternoon when three of us, armed with 7- and 9-irons, chipped a bucket of golf balls off a cliff, over four lanes of highway traffic and into the Regal 8 swimming pool. That night I couldn’t sleep for all my fear and regret.

A key component of all this fun, from the wholesome to the ugly, was that we sought it out on our own. Many parents (like mine) were actually quite strict and culturally conservative, but their prohibitions only inspired us to find rowdier and more independent diversions. But many other parents — most, it seemed — were just checked out; they were either exhausted by broods of seven to 12 kids (at one point we counted five such clans in a one-block radius from our house) or simply invisible.

There was one notorious kid with invisible parents who, when he was an eighth grader, already wore the blond bristles of a beard. He was supernaturally tough and athletic — every boy in two schools feared and revered him. But what made him godlike (to me) was his absolute freedom: He didn’t fear crime, thugs or drugs; he was indifferent to grown-ups, whether priests or police; and yet he was cool enough to be sweet to friends and brutal with enemies.

During the summer after my sixth-grade year, on the thrilling afternoons when, for mysterious reasons, he let my friends hang out with his circle, I saw a Bottle Caps wrapper filled with cocaine, sat for a few minutes in a hot-wired car and held a loaded handgun. My parents were off in a different galaxy, and I felt it.

By making things, breaking things and taking real risks, by becoming citizens in our ad hoc community, we used the fallow days of summer to put our Catholic-school education, and our parents’ parenting, to the test. Trial and error often proved that they were right. But in discovering what we enjoyed most — not what we were taught to enjoy — we also discovered new parts of ourselves: artists, engineers, combatants, daredevils, explorers, criminals, comedians and more. Our summer fun was a field study in life, which is the last thing we would have thought at the time.

My godlike (to me) hero was also fearless and feared but also loved by everyone, especially girls. He was Irish, Catholic, knew more about the world than any of us, read seemingly everything Balzac, Beckett and Myles na Gopaleen ever wrote before he was old enough to drive. I think about the night he lead us out onto the railroad bridge over the Potomac River to paint the small shed above the bridge, half way out, every time I drive by, which I still do frequently. Those were the days.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-13, 11:09

Adolescence can be exciting, tense, and dangerous One the many good things of my own adolescence was that, unlike Beckman, I never saw cocaine or even marijuana. I had my own shotgun for hunting at quite an early age, but I never had my hands on a loaded handgun. Except for the cop across the street, I can't think of anyone who owned one. I never hot-wired a car. But then I bought one myself a few months after my fifteenth birthday.

I do see the 1950s as a much freer time for kids, despite its reputation for conformity. Starting from quite an early age, I would go off on my bicycle, or later in my car, and my parents had no idea of where I was or what I was doing. Mostly I was exploring. I fully agree with Beckman that this was an excellent environment for learning to think for yourself. I had modest run-ins with authorities and once was hauled down to the police station, but far and away most of my adventures were not risky or troubling, and when they were they were a risk primarily to me, not to society.

It's a tough choice. We have to grow up, and it cannot be done in a cocoon. Mostly I thnk that we as adults should urge realistic caution. Few kids need any help at all in finding ways to put themselves at risk.

Sample adventure: I think it was when I was 12 or 13, I rode my bike to the Salvation Army and bought some golf clubs, the most expensive one was seventy-five cents. Then I would get up early in the morning, before the grounds keepers were on the course, and play for free until the staff came and kicked me off. No one I knew played golf, I played golf. This hurt no one. I had been a score runner at the St. Paul open in the days of Sam Snead and Tommy "Thunder" Bolt and I guess that's how I got the idea.

Indeed, those were the days.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users