• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Come in or not

#21 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-14, 07:49

Generally speaking, people who play Acol with weak NT can't afford to respond on trash, since partner will raise to 2NT with 17 (disaster) and raise to 3NT with 19 (catastrophe).

Also, we have to be wary that lefty has a strong NT in his range more than is the case elsewhere, in which case coming in will be hugely minus ev. When he does not, we usually get a second chance by passing - he is unlikely to pass, since a minimum balanced hand with five spades tends to open 1NT these days unless the suit is decent, and since we are looking at the AK, the chances of that are much reduced.

#22 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-July-18, 06:05

thanks everyone I see that its virtually 50:50 in terms of coming in or not. I passed teacher said he would bid but its close. nothing hand really because opps are playing in a making spade partial regardless of what we do but just interested in whether people were bidding or not

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users