Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Does anybody do this any more 4 card transfers over 1N

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-11, 03:52

Spawned by some discussion in the "Where do bad players get their ideas from" thread about methods over 1N.

20+ years ago I seem to remember that one of the top Italian pairs used to use 4 card transfers over 1N. We used 4+ card inv or better red suit transfers over a wide range (11-16 1st/2nd, 14-19 3rd/4th) no trump with some success, does anybody do this any more ?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-11, 04:23

In Italy I got a standard convention card template where one of the conventions one could "check" was canape-style transfers. So apparantly they have some popuarity there.

I think Heeman comes up occasonaly if you play tournaments in NL or Belgium. I played it for a while with Shogi, if it wasn't because we switched to an artificial 1NT opening, we would probably still use it. I like it better than standard transfers. It tends to leak less info about opener's hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-July-11, 04:35

The Scanian NT structure also uses transfers that show 4+ card suits.
The only time you transfer with a 4 card suit is when you hold invitational or better values
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2014-July-11, 05:32

Older versions of MICS used them, as well.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-11, 07:58

I think Brian Callaghan & Chris Duckworth use them.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-July-20, 17:56

There is also the ETM Weak/Mini system that is based on 2-under asks. Ben allows (or did last time I looked) 4 hearts for his 2 transfer but the 2 transfer is always 5+. Both of these ideas seem to me to based on sound principles although I also see nothing wrong with 5+ card transfers; it is all just a matter of how you want to collect together the hand types.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-July-21, 17:29

I did get this transfer from Ashton Bridgematters page. Transferring into a four card suits draws directors calls nearlly every time you table dummy.

Currently not using it, but still like it a lot.
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-22, 16:50

I play one 4-card transfer: 1NT-2; 2-2 is "invitational, both majors 44, 54, or 55. Will only have 4 hearts unless 5-5."

We follow the same procedure as: "An Announcement also is used for those methods that initially treat the bid as a transfer even though rarely the bidder will have a strong hand without the next higher suit. When the message is sent that the transfer was not a transfer, just the first step in showing another type of game-going hand, the call that sends that message must be Alerted." even though we don't have a game force, and we actually promise 4 hearts. If I "expected" 4+cards, I probably would Alert, never mind the regulation. That would increase the number of questions, but decrease the number of director calls (not remove them, of course; people will ask if it's legal.)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users