BBO Discussion Forums: sad lack of gadgets - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

sad lack of gadgets

Poll: sad lack of gadgets (64 member(s) have cast votes)

your plan?

1. not being able to splinter is too absurd for me to answer (2 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. transfer and bid 2NT (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. transfer and bid 3NT (0 votes [0.00%])

4. transfer and bid a minor (FG) (0 votes [0.00%])

5. stayman and over 2D bid 2NT (26 votes [40.62%])

Percentage of vote: 40.62%

6. stayman and over 2D bid 3NT (22 votes [34.38%])

Percentage of vote: 34.38%

7. stayman and over 2D bid a minor (4M5m FG) (6 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

8. would have opened some number of hearts (0 votes [0.00%])

9. other (8 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-12, 00:50

View Postthe hog, on 2014-July-11, 20:04, said:

for the first time in my memory I actually think Nigel's ratings are correct and not off on planet Zorg.

View Postthe hog, on 2014-July-12, 00:18, said:

I was being polite, Justin.

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-July-12, 00:59

View PostMickyB, on 2014-July-12, 00:50, said:

that is very polite for me. Anyway, I praised Nigel, what more do you want?
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 03:03

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-July-10, 14:40, said:

So, those who voted for "other" must be the clever ones who would unilaterally violate the basic system in use.

There are truly two choices. I chose the invitational one. Anything I might upgrade is offset, IMO, by my least favorite distribution.

Maybe partner will be the clever one and bid a surprise 3m while accepting over my 2NT.

JXX Jx AKQXX AJX gets to slam after a game invite sequence; film at 11.

I voted other - Stayman followed by 2. The real issue is what to do if someone then bids 2. If it is pard, I will bid 3. If it is the oppo I will bid 3. I remember Gawrys bidding this way against me once with a 1435 and it worked on a one hand sample. Maybe it will still work with only 4 clubs. I think this should be a scramble with short spades, but obviously I am winging it.

#24 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2014-July-12, 04:18

View Postthe hog, on 2014-July-12, 00:27, said:

So you are playing a convention that looks vaguely like, but is vastly inferior to Keri?

No Sir/Madam,the Explorer Relay is vastly superior to the Keri as developed by Klinger.It covers and caters for all possible combinations for a part game hand ,game going hand ,slam ambition hand,and slam forcing hands wherein Responder can find out exact distribution of the openers hand.With Keri ,Klinger nor anyone can depict or find out much about the distribution and strength.Klinger would never be able bid many hands using Keri or Stayman .the Explorer beats all the commonly played conventions outright.The Explorer can be used by a beginner,or upto Experts and gives immense satisfaction.Keri is totally a very inferior convention by Klinger whose short and long suit tries are miserable to say the least.

#25 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-July-12, 05:32

duplicate post.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#26 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-July-12, 05:39

roflmao. Based on these ill informed comments, I can only surmise that you have not read the Keri notes, let alone ever played the structure. Pray tell also, why on earth do long and short trials have to do with a NT structure?

#27 User is offline   wenwylie 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-12, 07:55

We must have 3 Spades available to show this hand 1444 and game force

#28 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 09:55

View Postthe hog, on 2014-July-12, 00:27, said:

So you are playing a convention that looks vaguely like, but is vastly inferior to Keri?

Kindly read my edited comments.

#29 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 09:59

View Postthe hog, on 2014-July-12, 05:39, said:

roflmao. Based on these ill informed comments, I can only surmise that you have not read the Keri notes, let alone ever played the structure. Pray tell also, why on earth do long and short trials have to do with a NT structure?

I have thoroughly read the Keri but you do not know the Explorer.Keri is a third rate development comparatively,pardon me. as regards short and long suit tries described by Klinger which he applies after a 1H/S opening and a single raise are horrible.

#30 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 11:23

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-12, 03:03, said:

I voted other - Stayman followed by 2. The real issue is what to do if someone then bids 2. If it is pard, I will bid 3. If it is the oppo I will bid 3. I remember Gawrys bidding this way against me once with a 1435 and it worked on a one hand sample. Maybe it will still work with only 4 clubs. I think this should be a scramble with short spades, but obviously I am winging it.

I think 3415 is a more classical shape to bid that way on (since you gain the added upside of passing a 2S response).
The artist formerly known as jlall

#31 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 15:26

View Postmsjennifer, on 2014-July-11, 23:05, said:

...1NT --2C is a relay promising at least 8 HCP and at least one 4 card major.Opener bids 2D with 15 or BAD 16 even if he holds one 4 card major.Opener bids 2H holding both majors but 15 or BAD 16. opener bids 2 S holding both majors and 17 or Good 16.

It seems playable, where Keri, to me, does not. OK, critics, what's the downside?
Where do we find details of the other bids?

#32 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 17:47

View Postmsjennifer, on 2014-July-12, 09:59, said:

as regards short and long suit tries described by Klinger which he applies after a 1H/S opening and a single raise are horrible.

I'll bite. What's your favorite game try structure on that auction?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#33 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-July-12, 19:09

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-July-12, 15:26, said:

It seems playable, where Keri, to me, does not. OK, critics, what's the downside?
Where do we find details of the other bids?

Clearly someone else who has never played it. Perhaps you should change your nic to fromage chevre. I have played it for more than 2 years. It is emminently playable and superior to Stayman.

Already one poor feature of the other convention mentined is that you need values and a 4 card M to respond 2c. This makes it useless ver a wnt and far inferior over a snt, and that is even without seeing the rest of the structure. Anyway, the poster got a number of things wrong - namely that you cannot show exact shape with Keri. If someone gets such a fundemental fact wrong, it is obvious they nothing about it and are probably just promoting some home grown rubbish. No?

#34 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-12, 19:38

2nt for me; I would be worried about the spade suit... if partner had bid 2 to stayman I would have bid 3nt though.

Usually I play methods where I can show these sorts of hands (the sequences are different in different partnerships) but I've been surprised by how many established pairs have no bids for them. It's pretty high-value, allowing us to reach better games and the occasional light slam.

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of Keri, after playing it for many years. My observations were that the 4-3 major fits on declined invites never seemed to work as well as Klinger advertised them in his book, and that the loss of garbage and crawling stayman seems significant (ability to sign off in 2 seems lower value). This "Explorer" method doesn't excite me on first pass either, because I very much believe that relaying out opener's shape is a poor approach, but I'd have to read the notes to know for sure.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#35 User is offline   ladydoc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-12, 21:26

My partner and I use a 3 spade response to indicate a 1444 hand that is gameforcing over a strong 15-17NT opening . It hasn't come up very often.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users