Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Content

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-09, 09:58

The New Content page refreshes frequently, seemingly at random. Could it be programmed not to refresh, or to let the user decide the starting date or time for new content to be displayed?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-09, 10:25

I've never had this happen. I've always used IE, various versions. What browser are you using?

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-July-09, 14:35

There is a dependency between "New Content" and "Items having been read"

Content that you haven't looked at or marked as read is "new"
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-July-09, 15:13

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-09, 10:25, said:

I've never had this happen. I've always used IE, various versions. What browser are you using?

I'm using Googlt Chrome. Maybe it' a browser issue, but it seems more like the software just decides, maybe every day or every couple of days, that some "content" no longer qualifies as "new".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2014-July-09, 15:57

If you do something on a page (including refresh), it resets the "new since" time to that value.

+1 to suggestion to be able to "search since time" - especially because I frequently bring up page 1 of new content, get called away for an hour or so, and try to go to page 2 only to find that it's now "new since I brought up the 'new content' page, rest of those new items are lost to the ages"

ISTR that I raised this as a problem before - like three years ago before. Was impossible with then-current forum software.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-July-09, 16:01

View Postmycroft, on 2014-July-09, 15:57, said:

If you do something on a page (including refresh), it resets the "new since" time to that value.

+1 to suggestion to be able to "search since time" - especially because I frequently bring up page 1 of new content, get called away for an hour or so, and try to go to page 2 only to find that it's now "new since I brought up the 'new content' page, rest of those new items are lost to the ages"

ISTR that I raised this as a problem before - like three years ago before. Was impossible with then-current forum software.

Yes, my experience is the same. Odd that it is not happening to some people.

#7 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-09, 17:35

View Postmycroft, on 2014-July-09, 15:57, said:

I work around this by opening in new tabs (ctrl-click) everything that looks interesting before reading any of it. Prior to doing this I had the same problem.

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2014-July-09, 18:11

View Postjeffford76, on 2014-July-09, 17:35, said:

I work around this by opening in new tabs (ctrl-click) everything that looks interesting before reading any of it. Prior to doing this I had the same problem.

I used to do this, but now I mainly use my iPad mini, which has a limited number of tabs.

It is strange, really, that "new content" needs to refresh at all. If there are posts in threads that don't interest you, you can mark them as read to make them go away.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-10, 10:16

There's not much we can do in response to forum suggestions. It works the way it works, we don't program it.

We're working on upgrading to a newer version, but I don't have a timeline. I have no idea whether the new version is better in this regard.

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-10, 17:21

I'm very puzzled by this... nothing I do seems to reset the "new since" time other than "mark[ing] all as read".

#11 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-10, 21:23

Maybe everyone else already knows this, but... when signed into the Forum, if you click on your name you can then adjust your Settings... One of the topics there is:

Search Settings
...View New Content Method
......Show me all new content since my last visit
......Show me all content that I have not read

Maybe changing your setting from the first choice to the second will have an effect on this refreshing problem.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users