BBO Discussion Forums: Connection Problems - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Connection Problems

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-July-08, 06:24

Over the course of the last week, I have had connection problems with BBO. I get online and play, and suddenly nothing is happening. I have to exit and sign in again to play. Sometimes I can't sign in again for some time.

This is a huge problem in ACBL speedball pair events. I will be waiting for the next round to start, and then notice that the clock hasn't moved. I send a message to the table and it doesn't show up. So I leave and get back only to find that I have been subbed for and I have to sit out a hand before being put back in the game.

This has happened several times.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-08, 09:18

How many bars do you see in the connection quality display in the top right corner?

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-July-08, 14:05

barmar, on 2014-July-08, 09:18, said:

How many bars do you see in the connection quality display in the top right corner?

I will let you know the next time I play.

#4 User is offline   eighthart 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-13, 07:07

I had same problem since last weak.
But if I sigh in from home page of BBO,it seems no problem.
I do not know why?
Thanks

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2014-July-13, 22:47

eighthart, on 2014-July-13, 07:07, said:

I had same problem since last weak.
But if I sigh in from home page of BBO,it seems no problem.
I do not know why?
Thanks

What method are you using when you don't go from the BBO home page? Are you using a bookmark or desktop shortcut?

#6 User is offline   eighthart 

• Pip

Posted 2014-July-20, 05:22

desktop shortcut

#7 User is offline   gimjan 

• Pip

Posted 2014-July-20, 07:32

I had a strange connection problem last nite. Last nite 3 times in a row I went onto BBO as I usually do, joined 3 different tables, and within a minute or two was suddenly taken back to the main BBO page with the message "Connection closed". I've had no problem connecting nor staying connected on other websites. I accessed BBO thru Google Chrome, as I many times do. I just gave up. One other time this happened, a long time ago.

#8 User is offline   tbca 

• Pip

Posted 2015-March-05, 23:40

gimjan, on 2014-July-20, 07:32, said:

I had a strange connection problem last nite. Last nite 3 times in a row I went onto BBO as I usually do, joined 3 different tables, and within a minute or two was suddenly taken back to the main BBO page with the message "Connection closed". I've had no problem connecting nor staying connected on other websites. I accessed BBO thru Google Chrome, as I many times do. I just gave up. One other time this happened, a long time ago.

Same thing happened to me. Three or four times I was also taken back and the message "Connection Closed" flashed up.

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2015-March-06, 07:03

I cannot access BBO from Google Chrome. I did access BBO from Firefox.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-March-06, 13:53

We were having problems this morning that affected some Chrome and Firefox users. They should be resolved now.

#11 User is offline   rat sushi 

• Pip

Posted 2017-March-22, 21:16

Ditto all the connection shortfalls! Logged in using three separate Kindles, allowed to play between one and three rounds and then the play froze. Sometimes it took five minutes before a robot card would play or the next robot bidding sequence slowly stepped to the next player. So slow that I kept forgetting how many trumps were still out. This problem has existed for at least last two days.

On the other hand, logging on and playing using PC's operating with Windows have so far allowed normal play.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-March-23, 15:50

Does your PC connect to your network with Ethernet or with WiFi? A few years ago I was having similar problems on my Kindle, and it turned out to be that my router's WiFi was not good. When I replaced my router the problem was solved.

#13 User is offline   rat sushi 

• Pip

Posted 2017-March-23, 19:26

The PC connects directly (Ethernet cable) and the Kindles connect via Wifi. Checked the Wifi and it's solid--not delays/hangups using the Kindles for other on-line aps.
Wifi BBO worked well all day except for around 6:30 PM Central USA time--the game hung up, but after switching to Ethernet PC, the game resumed normally. I just played 10 hands using Wifi/Kindle and there were very few minor delays.
Has BBO changed any settings or hardware? If not, I'll contact Amazon/Kindle for troubleshooting.
Thanks,
Rat

#14 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-24, 02:50

The thread http://www.bridgebas...ction-problems/ has more about this. My wifi internet worked great with every site except BBO, where I had very frequent connection problems. I also noticed that my primary computer (a laptop close to the router) wifi connection speed was only a few Mbps, but the speed on a different computer much further away from the router was much faster at 20 Mbps. A local tech suggested I connect by either net cable instead of wifi. I would have bet a lot that a cable could not solve my problem, but I would have lost that bet. My speed using a cable immediately increased to 20 Mbps and I have had almost no connection problems on BBO since switching to cable. My guess is that my primary laptop was too close to the router so the wifi signal was so strong that it caused glitches that BBO reacted to, but that did not affect other sites. As a first step in trouble shooting your wifi problems on BBO, try moving your tablet further away from the router so your signal strength will be reduced.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-March-24, 08:56

When I was having the problem I described, other sites also seemed OK, even things like speedtest.net. But BBO was not having any problems in general.

I think I misremembered something, though -- all I had to do was reboot the router to clear up the problem at the time.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users