Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suction MI & UI ACBL

#1 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-07, 17:13

North/South have agreed to play Suction [bidding diamonds shows hearts or blacks], and North thinks this means that all bids are Suction, and South thinks that only non-jump bids are Suction. 4 is not alerted, although the intention is explained before the opening lead, and West does not change their final pass.

In case it's not clear, 7 makes, but 7 does not unless A is led on the go. 7 is a paying sacrifice over small slam. West claims he would have bid 4 over partner's initial double with correct information, but East/West make no other statement about how they think the auction would go.

Do you adjust, and if so to what? ACBL, so no weighted scores, although feel free to say what you would use for weights if that was an option.

#2 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-07, 17:54

You're better at this than me, so here goes:

North has the UI that S thought 4 showed diamonds. But when 4x rolled around, pass is clearly not a LA. I don't see how North's UI could suggest 7 later.

South has UI that N didn't have diamonds, but he has the AI of the auction saying roughly the same thing. And, as S didn't act, and can't correct 7 to 8 even if opps want the director to make him, he's off the hook. I see no UI problems with this auction.

E and W might have acted differently over 4 (MI) given the chance, but any action they took still allows N to later bid 7. Since North's 7 call was sufficient, in turn, and not based on any UI, I see no reason to adjust it. If E/W want to argue that an earlier call by them would have talked N out of 7, they'll need impressive reasoning. I don't see it. If W would rather go down in 7, I'd allow him that choice.

I don't see what adjustment E/W could even be asking for. Unless there's an adjustment that bars North from unilaterally taking out insurance, E/W are going to be under average this board.

Brian
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#3 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-07, 18:18

I agree that it seems like the results will stand on this board. There was MI/UI in that 4 should have been alerted (I'm assuming MI instead of misbid, like is usual). But if we accept the W would bid 4 I think E could make a move and arriving at 6 seems reasonable. But given that N was willing to self sac in 7 over 6nt, I'd imagine the same would be true over 6. I could maybe see an argument for giving N 7 since some E/W might get to 7 and some N might try cashing the A, but that seems over the top here (but likely would be part of a weighted score).

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-07, 19:57

View Postjeffford76, on 2014-July-07, 17:13, said:

North/South have agreed to play Suction [bidding diamonds shows hearts or blacks], and North thinks this means that all bids are Suction, and South thinks that only non-jump bids are Suction. 4 is not alerted, although the intention is explained before the opening lead, and West does not change their final pass. In case it's not clear, 7 makes, but 7 does not unless A is led on the go. 7 is a paying sacrifice over small slam. West claims he would have bid 4 over partner's initial double with correct information, but East/West make no other statement about how they think the auction would go. Do you adjust, and if so to what? ACBL, so no weighted scores, although feel free to say what you would use for weights if that was an option.
Assuming that Suction is alertable, even at the four-level, on the first round of bidding, there is an argument for adjustment: South neither alerted 4 nor raised it. Thus North has UI that South is short in . Hence, opponents have a massive undiscovered fit and the suit is breaking well for them. This makes 7 more attractive. Pass seems to be an LA. The sacrifice damaged East-West.

#5 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-07, 20:11

View Posttrevahound, on 2014-July-07, 17:54, said:

South has UI that N didn't have diamonds,

What is the source of this UI?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-07, 20:52

View Postnige1, on 2014-July-07, 19:57, said:

Assuming that Suction is alertable, even at the four-level, on the first round of bidding, there is an argument for adjustment: South neither alerted 4 nor raised it. Thus North has UI that South is short in . Hence, opponents have a massive undiscovered fit. This makes 7 more attractive. Pass seems to be an LA. The sacrifice damaged East-West.

North also has the AI of a 9 card suit, is at favourable vulnerability, and the opponents have just jumped to an almost certainly making slam against which this is a guaranteed good save. I'm struggling to see pass as a LA.

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-08, 01:00

View Postsfi, on 2014-July-07, 20:52, said:

North also has the AI of a 9 card suit, is at favourable vulnerability, and the opponents have just jumped to an almost certainly making slam against which this is a guaranteed good save. I'm struggling to see pass as a LA.

Why is the slam "almost certainly making"? If you go for 1400 opposite J10xx x QJ10x xxxx, you've thrown away at least 16 IMPs, or probably about 80% of a board at matchpoints.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-08, 02:18

That would indeed be an unlucky hand, but even that will make when one of the opponents holds a 5 card club suit.

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-08, 04:03

Assuming that Suction is alertable, even at the four-level, on the first round of bidding, there is an argument for adjustment: South neither alerted 4 nor raised it. Thus North has UI that South is short in .

Does this follow? Would South really raise with say Jxx xxx xxxx xxx?

ahydra

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-08, 09:26

Assuming that Suction is alertable, even at the four-level, on the first round of bidding, there is an argument for adjustment: South neither alerted 4 nor raised it. Thus North has UI that South is short in . Hence, opponents have a massive undiscovered fit and the suit is breaking well for them. This makes 7 more attractive. Pass seems to be an LA. The sacrifice damaged East-West.

If East's double is penalty (as it seems to be from East's actual holding), why would South raise? If he has a fit, wouldn't he be happy to play 4X? He can always raise later if West pulls the double.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-July-08, 09:38

Hence, opponents have a massive undiscovered fit and the suit is breaking well for them.

View Postsfi, on 2014-July-07, 20:52, said:

A poll might help.

View Postahydra, on 2014-July-08, 04:03, said:

Does this follow? Would South really raise with say Jxx xxx xxxx xxx?
He might; and he would raise with three or four to an honour.

View Postbarmar, on 2014-July-08, 09:26, said:

If East's double is penalty (as it seems to be from East's actual holding), why would South raise? If he has a fit, wouldn't he be happy to play 4X? He can always raise later if West pulls the double.
Assuming a fair standard of play, the double is more likely to be "cards".

#12 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-08, 12:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-July-07, 20:11, said:

What is the source of this UI?

North's 4 rebid. If N had primarily diamonds, why would he not pass in 4x? Oh, I see your point, North's calls are all authorized to South, assuming no tempo/body language, etc...

Thanks.

Brian Zaugg
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#13 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-08, 16:36

The auction is AI, yes. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users