Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 more ridiculous auctions

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-07, 16:34

Why isn't 4 limited to 9- HCP and 11- points? I bet 4 in the auction 1m - 1; 2NT - 4 is also stupidly unlimited. While 4 would also go down, it goes down 1 less trick, and in almost any other layout 4 makes while 5 is likely down.

I forgot to read the definition before I bid it, but why does 3 here promise Hearts? As it stands, 3NT is the best contract, but if I can't find out about the stopper(s) like I was trying to, then we can never play it!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-07, 16:58

Now I wish I could change the title to 4 ridiculous auctions. On the first one, GIB should be supporting a 5-card suit, NOT rebidding a crappy Heart suit. Also, GIB should leave 3NT alone, since 3NT denies 3+ and the jump-shift denies 4+ (not great on this hand, but on a slightly different hand).

No explanations necessary here...

Edited to include the first hand.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-07, 17:14

View Postchasetb, on 2014-July-07, 16:58, said:

Now I wish I could change the title to 3 ridiculous auctions. No explanations necessary...

I'll toss out a few possibilities.

1) GIB west was afraid of getting in a bidding war with GIB E and ending up in 7, and decided to take its lumps in 2X.

2. The rule of 8 ever, 9 never came into play. GIB W would ever bid an 8 card suit, but never bid a 9 card suit.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-07, 17:48

<<dupe post>>

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-07, 17:55

Re: Board 29

GIB System Notes said:

Competitive Auctions
  • Western Cue bid (GIB doesn't alert western cue with this name)

GIB's explanation is consistent with his style, but not with his documentation, and maybe also non-optimal: since North has shown hearts, you can show heart support by bidding 3 (weakest), 4 (intermediate), or cuebidding 3 (strongest). I agree with you that it would be more useful for 3 to be looking for a spade stopper than to be showing interest in slam.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-07, 18:00

Re: Board 42

View Postjohnu, on 2014-July-07, 17:14, said:

I'll toss out a few possibilities.

1) GIB west was afraid of getting in a bidding war with GIB E and ending up in 7, and decided to take its lumps in 2X.

2. The rule of 8 ever, 9 never came into play. GIB W would ever bid an 8 card suit, but never bid a 9 card suit.

I'm not sure how tongue-in-cheek 1) was intended, but there's probably some truth... If West had bid hearts over 2x, can East ever become convinced that West doesn't actually hold at least three spades?

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-07, 18:14

Re: Board 48

View Postchasetb, on 2014-July-07, 16:58, said:

... GIB should be supporting a 5-card suit, NOT rebidding a crappy Heart suit. Also, GIB should leave 3NT alone, since 3NT denies 3+ and the jump-shift denies 4+ (not great on this hand, but on a slightly different hand).

I like the 3 bid... but the description of 3N needs work... Instead of "5-" it should say "2-" or maybe even "1-". North certainly shouldn't think South might be bidding 3N with 0454 or 1354 shape. I also think North's strength range is being overstated; he shouldn't need 8 total points to bid over 3, and his upper limit should be lower than 12 total points if he's willing to sign off in game opposite the jump shift.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users