BBO Discussion Forums: New Minor Forcing - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Minor Forcing Jump Rebid by Responder: Forcing or Invitational

Poll: Jump Rebid By Responder Using NMF (38 member(s) have cast votes)

(OPPs pass throughout) 1C-1S-1N-3S. 3S is . . .

1. Invitational with 6 Spades (29 votes [76.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.32%

2. Game Forcing with 6 Spades (8 votes [21.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

3. Other (explain) (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   biggerclub 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-09, 11:30

View Postmikeh, on 2014-July-08, 09:15, said:

At the risk of a bit of thread hi-jack, my take on the OP is that jump rebids are usually, these days, played as invitational over opener's 1N rebid, but that in the context of a 2-way new minor structure, all 3 level rebids by responder should be played as narrowly constrained slam tries.

Jump rebid of suit = strong 6+ suit, with slam interest. Weaker 6 card suits, with the same overall values, go through the 2 gf relay first. This allows opener to evaluate better. On the slow route, opener needs a trump card to be encouraged, while on the fast route he can focus more on side suit quality.

Jumpshifts, including into opener's suit, are strong 5=5 or better, with good suits, while the slow route promises similar values overall, but with side cards and weaker suits. Again, this helps opener evaluate.

When playing 2 way, one can lump various invitational hands into the 2 puppet sequences with little cost, and can also put responder's 2N 'raise' to good use as an artificial call (I use it as a puppet to 3, to play or, if I bid again, to show various slam tries with only 4 cards in my first suit and 5+ in partner's, but one can use one's imagination).

The more I reflect on this discussion, the more I am seeing the virtues of 2-way NMF (except I would object to the terminology as 2way Checkback seems a more accurately linguistic formation).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users