• You cannot reply to this topic

Stayman = Bad

#21 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-07, 09:51

Interesting topic to tread through....

I don't think gib should ever be bidding 4H, though I guess the lack of a 3m bid over 2H, and the lack of a 3H bid (4-1-4-4) over 1NT suggest that south does have at least 2 hearts. As for Lovera's posts, the bidding standard these days is a lot better than the old days, it would be better not using a textbook from the 50s.
Wayne Somerville

#22 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-08, 05:39

Lovera's posts would also be more comprehensible if s/he got his/her terminology right. For example, the word "declare" is used incorrectly a lot in place of "bid", and "forcing to run" was rather confusing, no idea how "game" got confused with "run". (And is there anyone still around who bids 1x-1y-3x on a 5-card suit?)

FrancesHinden made a point in another thread a while back about multi-point upgrades of balanced hands like some were advocating on this North hand. The North hand is a truly excellent 16-count but upgrading it to an 18 count is not without risks, after 1H-1S-2NT if partner then jumps to 6NT on a flat 15 you can very easily be off two aces/AK or just simply not have enough tricks. I like 1NT then the obvious pass of 3NT.

ahydra

#23 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-July-08, 10:07

Classical aspects are like evergreen. Samuel Stayman is the author of 1 NT Stayman very usefull and known convention like 4 NT by Easley Blackwood : both these ones have had in time many variants. The architetture of the system is based on natural bidding with highly compatibility for inserting of convenctions to define better bidding (as you like). Infact, for information about force for slam i have used 4 clubs Avarelli (Walter Avarelli component of the Italian Blue Team) whilest the system uses 4 clubs Gerber and also Asking Bid by Ely Culbertson (in the system cue bids).Already at the time the book was published the author suggest to "whom want use Gerber or Blackwood convention to consider how 5th controll of first round the King of the trump agree". Nowaday we'd use RKCB.
(I apologize if there is any imprecision in the precedent translate, i hope to be clair the concept however; about bidding a suit compact 5th is equivalent to 6th likeA K Q x x x x x ).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users