• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stayman = Bad

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-03, 14:10

I bid aggressively, I admit, but unless the suit is AKQJ8, AKQJ9, AKQJT, or AKQT9, why the heck is it not passing 3NT???

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-03, 14:13

Same reason you didn't pass 4?

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-03, 14:51

Last time I checked John, a 4-3 fit is usually better than a 5-1 fit, and GIB would have still bid the same way with AKQ and Axxxx
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-03, 15:29

Rather than modifying how GIB deals with Stayman, I'd prefer that he simply didn't open 1N with the North hand.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-July-03, 16:35

silly bidding by Gib.

5 is your spot, don't see how your supposed to find by starting to look at 4 level.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-03, 17:46

View Postchasetb, on 2014-July-03, 14:51, said:

Last time I checked John, a 4-3 fit is usually better than a 5-1 fit, and GIB would have still bid the same way with AKQ and Axxxx

Why does GIB N have to have 3 spades? You can see 3 spades after dummy comes down but there doesn't seem to be any reason why there couldn't be only 2. And with a random 3 card spade fit, I don't think 4 will play better than a 5-1 heart fit where N has very good hearts. I don't think GIB would bid 4 with your example with such a bad suit. Of course, with a likely 4 or 5 tricks in hearts, I don't know why GIB would pull from 3NT with the original hand (or with any hand for that matter since 3NT is a drop dead bid unless N had 4 spades).

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-July-03, 21:17

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-03, 15:29, said:

Rather than modifying how GIB deals with Stayman, I'd prefer that he simply didn't open 1N with the North hand.

Why? 1NT is a fine opening on this balanced hand that is in the NT range. It is an obvious 1NT opening.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-July-03, 22:57

North should pass 3N.

I applaud the 1N opener, and I would far rather that than have to introduce the baggage associated with including a bal 15-17 hand in a 1M opener.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-July-04, 08:51

In Stayman system that i play is not possible to open 1 NT with a 5th major; expecially with a suit like this one - compact or half compact - is correct to declare 1 heart for 3 heart is second round. In Stayman system also is not possible declare on two level without having at least 12 points. Then the declaration may be 1H p 1NT (spade not declarable) p 3H p 4C p 5C.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 08:55

View Postjohnu, on 2014-July-03, 14:13, said:

Same reason you didn't pass 4?

That's a bit unfair. 4 can't promise more than four spades and opener can bid 4NT with a doubleton spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 10:50

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-July-04, 08:55, said:

That's a bit unfair. 4 can't promise more than four spades and opener can bid 4NT with a doubleton spades.

Why pass 4? With xxxx, I don't want to play in spades opposite a random 3 card spade suit because it is almost certainly going to be a hopeless contract, and obviously not opposite 2 spades. You know GIB has completely gone off the rails by bidding 4 so you have no idea what will happen if you bid 4. Maybe GIB will keep on bidding hearts until the cows come home, or jump to slam because it suddenly thinks you are making a slam try. At this point, GIB is bidding without a script and if the hearts are really good, 4 may be the best that you can do.

Even with a human partner who takes you out of 4 it probably is right to pass but for a different reason. The most likely reason I can think of is that a human partner missorted their hand and has 6 or 7 hearts. Either that, or you're playing with a beginner who might pass 4 no matter what they have in spades.

#12 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 10:52

View PostLovera, on 2014-July-04, 08:51, said:

In Stayman system that i play is not possible to open 1 NT with a 5th major; expecially with a suit like this one - compact or half compact - is correct to declare 1 heart for 3 heart is second round. In Stayman system also is not possible declare on two level without having at least 12 points. Then the declaration may be 1H p 1NT (spade not declarable) p 3H p 4C p 5C.

And your system is correct because???

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 11:33

View Postjohnu, on 2014-July-04, 10:52, said:

And your system is correct because???

What means is correct because ? I play Stayman and those are the indications: such for 1 NT are requested : an hand balanced among 4-3-3-3 or 4-4-3-2 or 5-3-3-2 (5th only diamond or clubs) otherwise i can't open 1 NT force 16-18;i wonder myself because this system is good and very known (but , honestly, not recent [copyright 1955] The complete Stayman systeme of contract bidding i have the third edition with preface of Mario Franco.

#14 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-July-04, 12:09

I have a different take on this I think this is too strong for 1N, worth 18 due to semi-solid

should open 1 and rebid 2N

I ran it thru Kaplan evaluation and it agreed

K&R (A86 AKQT2 75 KT5) = 18.25
DK = 18-
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#15 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 13:31

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-July-04, 12:09, said:

I have a different take on this I think this is too strong for 1N, worth 18 due to semi-solid

should open 1 and rebid 2N

I ran it thru Kaplan evaluation and it agreed

K&R (A86 AKQT2 75 KT5) = 18.25
DK = 18-

... When opener must bid after a response force is not specified, you can have a hand that can be classified in terms of strength, in one of the following three categories: 1) minimum [13-16 points]; 2) inviting [17-19 points]; 3) forced to run [20 points or more]. The hand "minimal" is that have the requirements for an opening statement or little more. Its radius is of 13-16 points. The hand "inviting" is that will be able to produce the manche if responder has 9-10 points. A hand "forcing to run" is that having 20 or more points and that needs of 6 points to produce a contract for closure (pages 59 and 60 of the book indicated). In Stayman systeme your hand is valuted 19 points (16 Milton Work + 1Goren + 2 points the 5th card in compact suit ) and needs (in that system) of a jump declaration to show force like 1 H - 3 H. Stayman, Kaplan Sheinwold, Roth Stone are system that use 5th major but i don't know if are difference of bidding, i like (and suggest) Stayman and in that system is so. Bye.

#16 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-July-04, 21:34

View PostLovera, on 2014-July-04, 13:31, said:

... When opener must bid after a response force is not specified, you can have a hand that can be classified in terms of strength, in one of the following three categories: 1) minimum [13 11-16 points];

FYP

And that is the main flaw with not opening 1N in the first place.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#17 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-July-04, 22:07

Jack: Lovera plays 1NT=16-18; surely he doesn't open 11 point hands.

#18 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 22:33

Personally, I would open the North hand 1, because the hand is primed for a suit contract between the Aces and Kings, and the worthless doubleton. I'll overbid with it slightly. However, I don't mind it being opened 1NT, it does get across the HCP (for bean counters only) and the relative shape.

To show how obsessed with Hearts GIB is, I was goofing off in Just Play Bridge on BBO and had the hand below. I didn't make the 3 bid, but that is what the bid promised.

-Alfred Sheinwold

#19 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 23:21

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-04, 22:07, said:

Jack: Lovera plays 1NT=16-18; surely he doesn't open 11 point hands.

Thanks.

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-05, 00:13

View Postchasetb, on 2014-July-04, 22:33, said:

Personally, I would open the North hand 1, because the hand is primed for a suit contract between the Aces and Kings, and the worthless doubleton. I'll overbid with it slightly. However, I don't mind it being opened 1NT, it does get across the HCP (for bean counters only) and the relative shape.

To show how obsessed with Hearts GIB is, I was goofing off in Just Play Bridge on BBO and hand the hand below. I didn't make the 3 bid, but that is what the bid promised.

8) (s) K 7 (h) A J 5 4 (d) K Q 8 6 3 © A 10 Declare 1 diamond and not1 NT - With distribution 5-4-2-2 there are more advantage for play with trump that could be lose opening 1 NT. The declaration of 2 heart (after any normal reponse) is a rever in contigous suits..Not is any proibition to open 1 NT with a hand 5-4-2-2, but in general color declaration will take you to better resultance (pag. 108 Chapter VII Opening declaration of 1 NT). In your hand there is a doubleton and not is covered a suit then is better to open 1 diamond. To declare NT all suit must be covered otherwise opp develope tricks that you can't stop.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users