• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question for 2/1 bidders.

#41 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-04, 13:17

View Postjohnu, on 2014-July-04, 12:05, said:

How are you planning to show this good a hand without getting to 3 at some point in the auction? Maybe if you played a Roth-Stone super strong single raise, but who plays that these days?

By the expedient of putting it into the 2 bucket response. For me (with a forcing NT) this is a normal club GF, any hand with 16+ without a 5 card suit for a 2/1, or inv+ with 3 card support. After the 2 relay (on all but distributional hands) the 11/12 3 card support bids 2M which can be passed. (Any other rebid is GF.)

OK, you may have a different meaning for the 2M rebid, but this is easy and useful.

#42 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 16:27

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-July-04, 13:17, said:

By the expedient of putting it into the 2 bucket response. For me (with a forcing NT) this is a normal club GF, any hand with 16+ without a 5 card suit for a 2/1, or inv+ with 3 card support. After the 2 relay (on all but distributional hands) the 11/12 3 card support bids 2M which can be passed. (Any other rebid is GF.)

OK, you may have a different meaning for the 2M rebid, but this is easy and useful.

Of course the original question was about 2/1 where presumably 2/1 is a game force, not usually a game force or a relay bid.

#43 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-04, 16:49

View Postjohnu, on 2014-July-04, 16:27, said:

Of course the original question was about 2/1 where presumably 2/1 is a game force, not usually a game force or a relay bid.

Of course the original question (despite the thread title) also included a curiosity about 2 for these sorts of hands.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#44 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 17:34

Yeah this is basically how the 1995 convention worked - the theory was that if opener made a bid other than 2 we were in a game force, otherwise the bidding of good hands became hopelessly compromised.

#45 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-July-04, 17:58

By the expedient of putting it into the 2 bucket response.

The INV+ 1NT response can also stop in 2 with a 3 card limit raise opposite a minimum.
(-: Zel :-)

#46 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 18:30

I am also in the limit raise category here (when not playing fit jumps). I use jacoby 2NT plus pretty much as described by Glenn Ashton on his bridgematters pages, and allow three card support for the limit raise (which is rolled into the 2NT raise). This has worked well for me. --- inquiry

*** I assume that means over 3D= D-short, or some other-than-Jacoby method, you can quit in 3S.
In ACBL, aren't you forced into 1NT:F1 or, 2NT:limit +? Because a 2C relay must be GF?

#47 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 20:15

View Postgwnn, on 2014-July-04, 16:49, said:

Of course the original question (despite the thread title) also included a curiosity about 2 for these sorts of hands.

The question was why many posters were getting to 3. In the context of 2/1 game force, you aren't going to stop any lower. If you aren't playing 2/1 game force, then maybe you will stop at 2 but that wasn't the question.

#48 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-July-05, 00:25

View Postjohnu, on 2014-July-04, 20:15, said:

The question was why many posters were getting to 3. In the context of 2/1 game force, you aren't going to stop any lower. If you aren't playing 2/1 game force, then maybe you will stop at 2 but that wasn't the question.

Sorry, my bad, I thought you meant the original question (opening post) when you said:

View Postjohnu, on 2014-July-04, 16:27, said:

the original question

George Carlin

#49 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-July-05, 00:35

Perhaps in your jurisdiction, this "Drury by an unpassed hand", also a psych control of sorts, is o.k.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#50 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-July-05, 02:38

View Postaguahombre, on 2014-July-05, 00:35, said:

Perhaps in your jurisdiction, this "Drury by an unpassed hand", also a psych control of sorts, is o.k.

In our jurisdiction, as in WBF Category 3 events, and in virtually every jurisdiction I've seen other than the ACBL (and possibly Japan), any responses to an opening bid are allowed.

#51 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-July-05, 02:48

View Postrhm, on 2014-July-04, 03:43, said:

So you claim you never had a bad result in 20 years bidding 1NT semi-forcing with a distributional 3 card raise?
Either you suffer from amnesia or you pass 1NT that rarely that you would be better off playing 1NT forcing!
If a bid is almost never passed it is better played as forcing.

I can attest to numerous results where chances of going down in 1NT are higher than going down in game in the major, not to speak of the hands where both 1NT and game in a major have good chances and opener would pass 1NT.
Granted on many of these hands opener might also pass a limit raise, but a 1NT contract is usually horrible when responder has a distributional 3 card limit raise.
The claim that your chances are better in 1NT than 3M if opener passes simply does not hold water if responder is unbalanced.
This assumes opener will pass a 1NT response with 12-13 and 5332.
These hands are not so rare!
Examples on request!

Rainer Herrmann

The point is not that 1NT is necessarily the right contract, if I have a 3154 10-count say, it's that we rarely play there. (I'm also not really bothered about +90 vs +140 as I don't play much match points.)
The auction 1S P 1NT all pass is incredibly rare to start with, and when I have a fit and partner has a balanced hand, one of the opponents usually has a bid. It's dangerous for them to pass out 1NT, particularly if we are NV, because at the extreme we could have 11 opposite 0. And it's known that they can't be protecting us into game, because opener's pass says 'we aren't making game even if you have an invitational hand'

As I said, we get passed out in 1NT and get a bad board when we have a fit in a different suit.

#52 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-July-05, 02:56

View Postgwnn, on 2014-July-04, 12:03, said:

I think that should be quarter-forcing. Alternatively, I don't mind both being named the same. After all, we are discussing about what responder's 1NT bid should be named.

If we use terms like "forcing" and "non-forcing" we're describing what responder is expecting to happen next.

If we wanted to describe responder's hand, we'd use terms like "weak", "less than invitational", "weak to invitational" or "weak without a fit or a 3-card invitation". Which is what some of us do, of course.

Edit: Surely in the gwnn nomenclature it should be "three-quarters forcing"? That is, it's in between "responder can be invitational, opener bids like aunt Millie" and "responder can be invitational, opener always bids"
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#53 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-05, 03:07

I don't really understand this comment, as the method is nothing like Drury, and not a psyche control. If opener rebids anything other than 2 it is GF, and if responder is any hand other then the 11/12 3 card support it is GF. For example, 1 2,2 3 is GF with a club suit. Yes, a psyching opener could choose to pass 3, but if you were playing 2/1 without this convention the bidding would go 1 2, pass. As this gets you out at a lower level, then basic 2/1 is more of a psyche control than this is.

I am surprised your jurisdiction allows such blatant psyche control methods as basic 2/1. :)

#54 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-July-05, 03:11

Yes, three-quarters forcing is the proper word (although opener has a balanced 14-count much less than 50% of the time so I guess it should be something like 54% forcing instead). I was thinking about it but got confused. Anyway, we only have three words for dozens of possibilities, once we remember to include factors like invitational jumps, constructive raises, limit raises or optional limit raises included in 1NT, and this is only about the variety of responder's holdings.. So I think semiforcing is perfectly fine for both the SF and 54% forcing flavours.
      George Carlin

#55 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-July-05, 07:32

View Postdake50, on 2014-July-04, 18:30, said:

I am also in the limit raise category here (when not playing fit jumps). I use jacoby 2NT plus pretty much as described by Glenn Ashton on his bridgematters pages, and allow three card support for the limit raise (which is rolled into the 2NT raise). This has worked well for me. --- inquiry

*** I assume that means over 3D= D-short, or some other-than-Jacoby method, you can quit in 3S.
In ACBL, aren't you forced into 1NT:F1 or, 2NT:limit +? Because a 2C relay must be GF?

Jacoby 2NT Plus doesn't respond with shortness over 2NT on most hands. The basic idea is that opener rebids 3 over 2NT with two types of hands. Hand one is where he WOULD not accept a game try opposite a limit raise, hand two is where he would make a slam try opposite a limit raise. Over this 3 response, responder with limit raise tries to sign off. With better than limit raise (in other words game force), he can bid game or try for slam on his own. 3 by responder over 3 ask for opener's shortage, other bids besides 3M by responder show things and are slam tries. If opener does not accept signoff in 3M it is his own slam try.

3 response over 2NT by opener shows game going hand with out strong slam interest. Responder can ask for shortage with 3M or show his hand type (shortage or balanced) with 3NT or a new suit. 3 promises by opener promises just a bid more than a direct jump to 4M over 2NT which is the minimum "accept game try" response.
--Ben--

#56 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-July-05, 10:25

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2014-July-05, 02:38, said:

In our jurisdiction, as in WBF Category 3 events, and in virtually every jurisdiction I've seen other than the ACBL (and possibly Japan), any responses to an opening bid are allowed.

Yes, I was not advocating any particular jurisdiction's rules, just pointing out we cannot do it here.

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-July-05, 03:07, said:

I don't really understand this comment, as the method is nothing like Drury, and not a psyche control. If opener rebids anything other than 2 it is GF, and if responder is any hand other then the 11/12 3 card support it is GF. For example, 1 2,2 3 is GF with a club suit. Yes, a psyching opener could choose to pass 3, but if you were playing 2/1 without this convention the bidding would go 1 2, pass. As this gets you out at a lower level, then basic 2/1 is more of a psyche control than this is.

Not exactly. According to your post describing the method, after:

1S-2C
2D...Responder could conceivably use it to get out in 2D or 2H in addition to 2S. And, depending on just how light that opening 1S might be in the agreements of that pair, the method acts as a non-fit drury and psych control. This is not a complaint, just an observation.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#57 User is offline   redtop 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-05, 10:58

There are "seams" in every system.

2/1 except rebid has drawbacks, unconditionally forcing vs. semi-forcing has drawbacks, jump shifts can mean various things but only one general hand type (usually).

I personally prefer semi-forcing and I'd bid 1N with this hand. If pard has a bad hand and passes, at least I'm two levels lower than 3S.

I might just blow partner a kiss, referring to my heart, and if he smiles showing hearts I would bid 1NT but if he frowns I would make a limit raise in spades on the lack of duplicated values in hearts. Oh wait, sorry, I would like to be allowed to continue to play bridge tomorrow.

Seriously, what you would "like" to bid depends on his heart holding but you have no (legal) way to find that out. If you are playing naval bids (semaphore cing), you have a system bid here (1NT) or you can lie. If you have to lie, bidding theory suggests you tell the smallest lie possible, but here you don't have to lie at all.

#58 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-July-07, 22:05

How common is playing 2C as a 3 card limit raise or some strong options? I've been playing that for a while and seems OK. It means the only danger hands (playing a 14-16 NT and opening 11 counts are) 4432 12 counts with 2 card support for partner.

#59 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-07, 22:21

For a long time now I have played semi forcing NT. I am never uncomfortable bidding 1N with a 3 card LR that does not have a singleton, if partner passes I get to play 1N with 2 balanced hands rather than 3M, that sounds awesome to me! There are many hands where 1N will make and 3M will go down, the converse is much less likely, you need the major suit fit to play THREE tricks better than 1N when you don't have singletons. I view it as a system win that I get to play 1N tbh.

Last week there were 2 hands where this happened and I got to play 1N instead of 3M and on both of them I went plus in 1N and 3M would have been difficult (tbh I don't know if it would have made or not). I mean seriously, if your partner is gonna pass only with 5332 minimums if you are 4432, 4333, or 5332 are you really unhappy with that?

At MP it is different, if 3M is making then it's probably better than 1N (unless you make 3 in 1N). You still win when 3M is down and 1N makes 7+ tricks though. But at imps I'm sure 1N will do better than 3M long term on these hands.

Hands with a 3 card limit raise and a singleton are a different story, I view it as a system hole that I might play 1N. We know they have a 9 or 10 card fit in my singleton, and it is likely that playing my major and getting ruffs will be very advantageous. In most partnerships I have no way to show that hand type, I end up often making a light GF raise (which in my view is fine with a singleton and a fit at imps when I'm not going to be able to show my singleton anyways... inviting is lame when you have shortness and can't show it, it's not really about whether partner is min or max but how they fit your stiff, in those cases I am ok punting game and hoping we fit well anyways...). Other options are a heavy constructive raise or just risking 1N... it isn't that likely partner passes and if he is going to the opps might bid, they have almost half the deck and a 9/10 card fit, and even if it does go 1M p 1N AP you still might make it.

With Bob I played that a direct LR could be an unbalanced 3 card LR and that worked out reasonably fine also. I am not a fan of dedicating a bid to a 3 card LR rather than bidding 1N, and even if I did I would still bid 1N with a bal 3c LR and only use that with an unbal one.

I don't understand the point of not wanting to bid 1N with the OP's hand... if it goes AP I am really happy. I guess not many others feel that way?

So basically +1000 to Frances itt.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#60 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2014-July-08, 00:21

Can you not get sunk when partner passes a 13 count and you have an awkward 12 with two card support for partner? Those the the ones I worry about the most - (though they basically never happen).

Though this might be a style thing - we open a 14-16 NT and partner passes a 1NT response with a weak NT.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users