BBO Discussion Forums: Is Acol Still Played in the United Kingdom? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is Acol Still Played in the United Kingdom?

#41 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-July-04, 07:18

View PostVampyr, on 2014-July-04, 05:37, said:

Gosh that is an unusually narrow range!

Oops, I meant 16-18; will edit it.

Isn't it? For "2/1" as a system?

Well I get the impression that 14+-17 and 14-16 are pretty popular amongst systems referred to as 2/1 these days. But of course this is not an area of speciality for me...

Acol Road is in London, and this is where the bidding philosophy or system originated. Other forms of Acol may use modifiers, but English need not, as it is the default.

Acol is a family of systems, just the same as Precision is. Noone refers to a 13-15 NT range as being an essential part of Precision, rather they would refer to Wei Precision. In the same way Acol might refer to the original or the family but surely not the general case of English Acol unless this context is clear.
(-: Zel :-)

#42 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 12:15

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-July-04, 07:18, said:

Acol is a family of systems

Indeed. And not only that

If you line up variations on natural systems so that each is only a marginal change from its neighbour, then at one extreme end you might have a system with 4-card majors, a weak notrump, strong 2 openers, and light-ish 2/1 responses ("Acol"), and at the other extreme you might have a strong NT, 5 card majors, weak 2 openers, and GF 2/1 ("American"). And yet the transition from one to the other by way of small marginal changes is a smooth one, and the cut-off at which the system is no longer deserving of inclusion in the "Acol" family is an arbitrary one, and I dare say lacking in consensus at that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#43 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 12:29

Back to the original question, here in the north of England (that's north of Leeds, by the way :P ) SAYC is unheard of and, like in the Midlands, >95% play a variant of Acol. Strong 1 seems to be dying out, but then, so are we all. All the teaching of which I am aware is of the Acol promulgated by the EBU.

#44 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-04, 12:37

Is bacon still eaten in the US?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#45 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-04, 13:57

Hehe, I was going to post something like that but with the Pope or bears, I like yours much more :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#46 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-July-04, 20:08

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-July-04, 04:04, said:

Baronised Acol is fairly popular in Australia. In Melbourne there was (and probably still is) a group that play Borinised Acol, which was Jim Borin's interpretation of Acol, but it only produced one hit on Google, so they are in danger of being erased from world history.

Actually the system was Don Evans' from NSW. The Borins played this before playing Precision, Regres and then Precision again. Many people in Melbourne still play this form of Acol.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#47 User is offline   spencecat 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cards, cooking, and cheese (anything that starts with a c)

Posted 2014-July-17, 18:05

View Postgwnn, on 2014-July-04, 13:57, said:

Hehe, I was going to post something like that but with the Pope or bears, I like yours much more :)

I'm from the south, and I second the bacon comment. ;)

#48 User is offline   spencecat 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cards, cooking, and cheese (anything that starts with a c)

Posted 2014-July-17, 18:09

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe Australians also play Moscito (Ron Klinger mentions it in passing in his book.) Even the youth use it. The ACBL would have swatted Moscito (especially the fun but universally illegal Forcing Pass Variant!)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users