BBO Discussion Forums: Version 1.48g - please post feedback and suggestions here - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Version 1.48g - please post feedback and suggestions here Instant Travellers

#21 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-July-06, 14:37

I like having the feature available, but agree with Leo that this should only be allowed in events that already have the barometer enabled.
Alderaan delenda est

#22 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-06, 15:10

View PostLeo LaSota, on 2014-July-06, 13:52, said:

In tourney #650, I finished second in my section with +49.34 IMPS; first was +50.03 IMPS. On board #12, ... I believe that the individual just took a blind chance and were lucky with the outcome.

And you think this had something to do with being able to trace your results, rather than simply knowing that he was in second place at +37 with one board to go?

#23 User is offline   Leo LaSota 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-06, 16:16

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-July-06, 15:10, said:

And you think this had something to do with being able to trace your results, rather than simply knowing that he was in second place at +37 with one board to go?

I am not claiming that the individual in this situation did or did not look at the previous boards. However, I give this as an example situation that arises quite frequently. If you are having a very high score, and see that one other individual is having a very high score, you know that you can take a risk on the last board. If it works, you move to first. If it does not work, you will likely stay in 2nd place. By seeing the actual results from the other competitors, you can see where everyone stacks up through the boards that you have completed. When you see Rank 2 on the bottom, you may be surprised that you are not currently in first place. When you check the individual boards, you see that you and the individual currently in first place are well ahead of the field. Therefore, you know that you have a "free" opportunity to try something to reach first place.

#24 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-06, 19:49

As I read this discussion, it seems to me that the objection has less to do with monitoring another specific player's performance during an event than the fact that barometer scoring is itself intrinsically unfair (to a degree) for as long as one player can lag behind another in the completion of rounds. If I am running at 70% but in 2nd place that is all the info I need to conclude, and I believe with a high hit rate, that I am in competition for 1st place with one other, and I expect a gap with third.

In a normal event, everyone moves at the same time, so everyone's view of the barometer is at the same snapshot in time. But at that instant you know who you are in competition with.

I have some sympathy with this. There Is a strong case for disabling barometer in any event. Not sure that I have enough that I would prefer an alternative format, but I see the substance of the complaint.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-July-07, 10:11

I think we only enabled the traveler feature on tourneys that were already using barometer scoring. So I don't think it has much impact on how you play the last few hands.

#26 User is offline   DougOut 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-10, 07:56

Nothing

#27 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-July-10, 07:59

I like the travelers feature. It gives me an immediate answer to the question "How could we get such a bad score for such a good result?" or vice versa.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users