Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just Play (Mini)Bridge Way for new players to not have to bid

#1 User is offline   ThymePuns 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-30, 00:33

I teach bridge to kids and adults, and in both cases, I teach play of the hand first and don't get to bidding for some time. I'd like to be able to give my students simple instructions to go to the home page and click something like "Just Play Bridge" to get started. Easiest solution would be to have all 4 GIBs bid and then have the player take over to play or defend. I teach MiniBridge where the contract is set with a formula, and that could be programmed, too, but that seems to be less useful for general audiences.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-30, 01:11

One possible problem with involving GIB in a teaching context where early beginners are concerned is that GIB only knows one bidding system, which is based on 2/1 GF, and it plays a few gadgets that you might prefer to introduce to the student not at day 1. You may take the view that starting a beginner off with 2/1 is an appropriate way to go. I have some sympathy with that, but I don't think that it is a popular view.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 02:32

View PostThymePuns, on 2014-June-30, 00:33, said:

I teach bridge to kids and adults, and in both cases, I teach play of the hand first and don't get to bidding for some time. I'd like to be able to give my students simple instructions to go to the home page and click something like "Just Play Bridge" to get started. Easiest solution would be to have all 4 GIBs bid and then have the player take over to play or defend. I teach MiniBridge where the contract is set with a formula, and that could be programmed, too, but that seems to be less useful for general audiences.

I may be inconvenient, but if you create a new table there is the option "teaching table". On a teaching table you created, you can take all 4 seats, do the bidding and then let the player take over.

IIRC there is also the option to create a mini bridge table.

#4 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 06:12

What about making one set called "4 by South", another one called "1NT by South" etc, telling the students just to open with the appropriate bid on each hand, making sure that the robot opps and the robot partner don't have cards to bid over that (slight problem: you cannot open 3NT that way but you could put some 3NT hands in the 1NT set, making sure that the robot partner would raise to 3NT).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-June-30, 07:58

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-June-30, 06:12, said:

What about making one set called "4 by South", another one called "1NT by South" etc, telling the students just to open with the appropriate bid on each hand, making sure that the robot opps and the robot partner don't have cards to bid over that (slight problem: you cannot open 3NT that way but you could put some 3NT hands in the 1NT set, making sure that the robot partner would raise to 3NT).

I thought that BBO had an option for minibridge built in...
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   ThymePuns 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-30, 10:24

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-30, 01:11, said:

One possible problem with involving GIB in a teaching context where early beginners are concerned is that GIB only knows one bidding system, which is based on 2/1 GF, and it plays a few gadgets that you might prefer to introduce to the student not at day 1. You may take the view that starting a beginner off with 2/1 is an appropriate way to go. I have some sympathy with that, but I don't think that it is a popular view.

The main goal is to just get them playing. When a new hand starts, they will see the contract and if they're declaring, the lead and dummy, and it will be just play of the hand. They won't have to look at the auction area of the screen at all. A secondary goal is just to get them familiar with the mechanics of bidding (not necessarily any bidding system). If they figure out how it works and get excited to learn it, then that's great. GIB bids similarly enough that if a student picked up on the bidding, they wouldn't have to unlearn too much. I wouldn't expect them to, though, but if they do express interest in moving onto bidding, then I can move them onto those lessons.

View PosthotShot, on 2014-June-30, 02:32, said:

I may be inconvenient, but if you create a new table there is the option "teaching table". On a teaching table you created, you can take all 4 seats, do the bidding and then let the player take over.

IIRC there is also the option to create a mini bridge table.

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-June-30, 06:12, said:

The main idea is for the students to do something without any instructor. Both of these solutions require me to either be present or to send hands ahead of time. I do teaching tables if I'm actually teaching students, but I want them to be able to practice without my help.

Setting up hands directly would be difficult to constrain. Students at this level don't know even the mechanics of the auction, so it would take detailed instruction to get the hands, import them, rent robots, and what to bid at each turn.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users