Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1D (2C) X (3C)

#1 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-29, 13:14

2C/1D is pesky enough without that raise. I hate it when they support with support, probably as much as they hate it when we do. They have even taken away Good/Bad when their suit is clubs.

1(2) X (3)

Lets give me a minimum Neg Double .. JT8XX A8XX J KXX - just to have something to look at.

1) What does a Double of 3C by Opener show (in your world)?
2) With a weak opening (KQXX KX KTXXXX X) or a more balanced mini, does Opener have to just eat it and Pass?

3) Does my responding hand gut out a second Double with no Diamond Tolerance and weakness?
4) 3 in the passout seemed suicidal, but I did think about it before letting them have 3C.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#2 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 13:30

Either a) Diamonds, too good to bid 3 b) 4CM, too good to bid 3M or c) 18-20 balanced. It's not formally a game force, though thinking about it now, it probably should be. But if I double and then pull 3R to 3 that is definitely forcing anyway.

2) With a weak opening (KQXX KX KTXXXX X) or a more balanced mini, does Opener have to just eat it and Pass?

With good shape, I think we should always bid in an auction like this, so I would call 3 with no guilt.

3) Does my responding hand gut out a second Double with no Diamond Tolerance and weakness?

No. Definitely not.

4) 3 in the passout seemed suicidal, but I did think about it before letting them have 3C.

See 2. If the player with short clubs takes up the slack, we don't have to push as well.

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-June-29, 15:36

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-June-29, 13:30, said:

Either a) Diamonds, too good to bid 3 b) 4CM, too good to bid 3M or c) 18-20 balanced. It's not formally a game force, though thinking about it now, it probably should be. But if I double and then pull 3R to 3 that is definitely forcing anyway.

With good shape, I think we should always bid in an auction like this, so I would call 3 with no guilt.

O.K. For you, the free-bids by Opener in this scenario are weak/competitive and the Double is all strong hands. That makes more sense than the other way around ---trying to sort out the nature of the double when it was weak/competitive and we have run out of room.

Strange we hadn't actually discussed this particular situation in all the time we have been partner'd.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-30, 01:08

2C/1D is pesky enough without that raise.

Yup.

1(2) X (3) Lets give me a minimum Neg Double .. JT8xx A8xx J Kxx - just to have something to look at.

2) With a weak opening (KQxx Kx KTxxxx x) or a more balanced mini, does Opener have to just eat it and Pass?

1. Good question. Probably 44 majors. No extras required, I suppose.
2. No. You eat it, flip a coin and bid 3M or 3.
3. I think so. Shape rules.
4. They have a fit, we should have one as well. Since there are singletons around, action should be quite safe.

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-July-07, 21:24

1) What does a Double of 3C by Opener show (in your world)? Balance of Power - Cooperative Penalty Double - 15+ HCP and 1-3 1-3 5-6 2-3 cards. (Not a 1N opener). Denies 4 card Major. With two 4-card majors I bid a pass/correct at level. Partner only promises one major...
2) With a weak opening (KQXX KX KTXXXX X) or a more balanced mini, does Opener have to just eat it and Pass? Probably - though 3 would show length not extras...

3) Does my responding hand gut out a second Double with no Diamond Tolerance and weakness? Yes. Partner can bid a 3-card major with confidence now...
4) 3♠ in the passout seemed suicidal, but I did think about it before letting them have 3C. Thinking is an overbid....

BTW - it may be more common to double with both majors here - but that gives up too many penalty opportunities.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users