BBO Discussion Forums: (1C)-4C - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

(1C)-4C What's it mean?

Poll: (1C)-4C (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Opponents open 1C; you bid 4C. What's it mean?

1. Natural preemptive (17 votes [68.00%])

Percentage of vote: 68.00%

2. Both majors lots of shape (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. Some two suiter (not necessarily majors) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Strong 4M bid (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

5. Some other meaning (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

6. Does not exist (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-29, 00:12

Pretty much what it says. I rather doubt there's a standard meaning here, so feel free to answer with your preferred agreements.

Please assume 1 is "natural" but in a five-card major system (so 3+). If you would change your answer if 1 was always 4+, or if 1 could be any balanced hand (2+) feel free to mention this too.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 00:47

We play that it's a strong 4 or 4 bid.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 00:49

I have played both natural and 6-6 majors (ok maybe w/r you do it with some kind of pure 6-5 lol). I have heard of good 4M overcall but really hate that (why would I want to tell them whether I had a good 4M overcall? I understand namyats or variants of that since we might well have a slam but when they open I prefer to just preempt them and not worry about slam). FWIW I prefer lots and lots of majors over natural, but I would probably prefer to play natural over 1C with all balanced hand types of systems (not that I would ever have this agreement, it is too uncommon to care enough and risk an accident).
The artist formerly known as jlall

#4 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 00:55

View Postpaulg, on 2014-June-29, 00:47, said:

I really think you should rethink that. What is our purpose of wanting to bid 4M with a good hand? Presumably it is to preempt them. When we have a really good hand we are exploiting that they have to guess a lot, they have to double with just points since we might have quite a weak hand, and then they will often be forced to pass (or guess to bid on when it's wrong and they're going for a number). When I have a good hand I love bidding 4M with the plan to rip them if they bid, or make some 790s if they don't. I view it as a logical way to exploit their need to guess at such a high level. Normally we can't do this because we might have a slam, but if partner is a passed hand obviously that is less likely, and if they open the bidding I view it as a huge winner to try and exploit them this way since a slam becomes quite unlikely when one opp has an opening hand. Of course it is possible but it's just really unlikely.

However if you bid 4C showing a good 4M bid, they don't have to X 4M with their random 10 count, or even their 8 count with a stiff in your major. They can just X 4M getting their values off their chest, and then pass it out happily, especially when you have advertised a strong 4M bid. I think you are eliminating the best part of bidding 4M with a good hand for the very infrequent upside of getting to slam.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-29, 01:32

Gerber
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-June-29, 02:36

Undiscussed I'd take it as 65/66 majors* but I think I'd rather play it as natural preemptive. 4m preempts are a nuisance and they should come up a fair bit even if 1C promises 3. If promises 4 I guess we should go back to 3C stop ask for diamonds and 4C as majors.

*-living maybe in coocoo land.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-30, 01:13

I used to play it as nat, preemptive. More interesting is

(1m) pass (pass) 2/3/4m

:)

#8 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-30, 02:13

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-June-29, 00:55, said:

I really think you should rethink that. What is our purpose of wanting to bid 4M with a good hand?

To be honest I don't think it's ever come up and it's just one of our meta-agreements (from bidding over weak twos) that we have not looked at very closely.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 02:27

View Postgwnn, on 2014-June-29, 02:36, said:

*-living maybe in coocoo land.

Hehe, Netherlands is my favorite country but I must admit they have some weird ideas about bidding. Sorta like "if it can be artificial it is artificial".
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-June-30, 03:02

^ I know the feeling.

#11 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 04:48

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-June-30, 01:13, said:

I used to play it as nat, preemptive. More interesting is

(1m) pass (pass) 2/3/4m

:)

Easy:
2m = Michaels
3m = stopper ask (long running suit)
4m = same as the OP's case, which I'd probably also take as PRE, extremely shapely with both majors. (Or more accurately, I wouldn't bid it at all, because my partner doesn't like either of us making undiscussed bids)

ahydra

#12 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-30, 11:40

Long clubs or 6-6 majors, two way? :)
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#13 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-June-30, 13:59

(1m) - P - (P) - 2m should be for penalties. :)

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-June-30, 15:29

View Postahydra, on 2014-June-30, 04:48, said:

(Or more accurately, I wouldn't bid it at all, because my partner doesn't like either of us making undiscussed bids)

i salute you for the common sense. An approach that many seem to forget :)

#15 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 15:31

View PostPhantomSac, on 2014-June-29, 00:55, said:

I really think you should rethink that. What is our purpose of wanting to bid 4M with a good hand? Presumably it is to preempt them. When we have a really good hand we are exploiting that they have to guess a lot, they have to double with just points since we might have quite a weak hand, and then they will often be forced to pass (or guess to bid on when it's wrong and they're going for a number). When I have a good hand I love bidding 4M with the plan to rip them if they bid, or make some 790s if they don't. I view it as a logical way to exploit their need to guess at such a high level. Normally we can't do this because we might have a slam, but if partner is a passed hand obviously that is less likely, and if they open the bidding I view it as a huge winner to try and exploit them this way since a slam becomes quite unlikely when one opp has an opening hand. Of course it is possible but it's just really unlikely.

However if you bid 4C showing a good 4M bid, they don't have to X 4M with their random 10 count, or even their 8 count with a stiff in your major. They can just X 4M getting their values off their chest, and then pass it out happily, especially when you have advertised a strong 4M bid. I think you are eliminating the best part of bidding 4M with a good hand for the very infrequent upside of getting to slam.

I think you're right that it pays to overcall 4M on a wide range of hands. However, there must come a point where a hand with a long major has too much playing strength to overcall 4M. Whatever hands are above your cut-off point, I'd prefer to describe then on the first round with a double jump cue bid than start with a take-out double. Yes, when reserved for seriously powerful hands this meaning for (1)-4 will not come up very often, but nor do the other suggested meanings. With 6-6 in the majors, not too much can go wrong if you start with a Michaels cue bid (or whatever you play to show a 2-suiter) and then bid to an appropriate level on the next round.

#16 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-01, 02:50

Maybe it should show spades and diamonds, if you don't have another way to do that.

#17 User is offline   beatrix45 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Rubber bridge for money

Posted 2014-July-02, 00:44

This has to be either a preemptive bid or a picture bid. I can't think of any real use for a picture bid over an auction that starts 1 - P - ?. That sorta leaves its best use as preemptive. That, in turn, depends on what partner might have for his/her one opener. Playing SAYC or 2/1 my response depends a little on vulnerability, but figures to be six or seven to the AQ with a singleton. See the Law of Total Tricks as a reference.
Trixi

#18 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-July-02, 00:46

View Postbeatrix45, on 2014-July-02, 00:44, said:

This has to be either a preemptive bid or a picture bid. I can't think of any real use for a picture bid over an auction that starts 1 - P - ?. That sorta leaves its best use as preemptive. That, in turn, depends on what partner might have for his/her one opener. Playing SAYC or 2/1 my response depends a little on vulnerability, but figures to be six or seven to the AQ with a singleton. See the Law of Total Tricks as a reference.

You have the auction wrong. RHO opened 1C
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#19 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-02, 00:46

Opponents opened 1C, you bid 4c.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-July-02, 09:47

My bride votes for /...the only two suited array we can't show another way.

Well, almost...someone will surely recommend that we could bid one suit and then the other :rolleyes:
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users