BBO Discussion Forums: w/w MP Decision - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

w/w MP Decision vs weak NT

Poll: w/w MP Decision (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid

1. Pass (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. Double (32 votes [94.12%])

Percentage of vote: 94.12%

3. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-27, 06:35

MPs

1NT = 12-14

You play Multi-Landy and penalty doubles here. Agreement for 2S is 5S, 4+ in unknown minor
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-27, 06:52

that looks like a penalty dbl to me WTP?

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-27, 08:34

The concept of penalty double is not that we have 1n set so much as we
feel there is a strong probability we have it set. Most x have a run out
for partner (for ex I want my p to leave the x in with as little as an
ace (not 2 scattered queens). My partner average hand rates to be around
6 and loses only a small amount of top side potential due to being a
passed hand. Will this always work? (no) but p with a weak freak can still
bail us out at the 2 level so go for it-----------------

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-June-27, 08:34

If you won't double a weak NT with this hand, when will you double a weak NT?

Admittedly, this is at the low end of what I consider a double. But it is a double. We have to get into the auction. Otherwise, the opps will steal us blind.

#5 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-27, 09:09

Fair enough. I thought maybe it was a touch light - though I did double at the table. w/w MP you have to act but I think I would have passed at teams - maybe that is wrong.

View PostArtK78, on 2014-June-27, 08:34, said:

If you won't double a weak NT with this hand, when will you double a weak NT?

Seems like an odd question. I guess the answer might be "a better hand"... 16+ or something.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-June-27, 12:53

View Postbroze, on 2014-June-27, 09:09, said:

Fair enough. I thought maybe it was a touch light - though I did double at the table. w/w MP you have to act but I think I would have passed at teams - maybe that is wrong.

Seems like an odd question. I guess the answer might be "a better hand"... 16+ or something.

My question was rhetorical. In my opinion, if you are not willing to act directly over a weak NT opening holding this hand, your standards for direct action are too high.

#7 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-27, 22:16

On borderline hands for a double, what swings it for me is whether I have a good lead I.e one which is guaranteed to set up tricks and/or guaranteed not to blow a trick. So here I double. After a few rounds of , it should be clear , from the sight of dummy and partners cards, how best to continue.

#8 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-June-28, 14:52

I prefer double here to be for takeout (but only when 1NT is weak). But I'll double whether it is or not.

#9 User is offline   bluechip10 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-28, 17:20

I typically play DONT against strong NT and Capp against weak NT. So, double for penalty is the best option here.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-28, 22:54

View Postjdgalt, on 2014-June-28, 14:52, said:

I prefer double here to be for takeout (but only when 1NT is weak).
I see this occasionally. Have never understood the logic, and still don't.

A take-out double shows tolerance for the unbid suits. Here there are 4 unbid suits, so a takeout double shows a balanced hand.

If you have a balanced hand sitting over a 1N opener, no information to suggest that you have a suit fit, or that you will necessarily find it if you have one, what makes you think that declaring will be better than defending?

And if it is "take-out" is there any hand that partner may be permitted to pass and convert to penalties? If so, what are those limitations?

And if it is for "take-out", what action do you take if you wanted to make a penalty double?

View Postjdgalt, on 2014-June-28, 14:52, said:

But I'll double whether it is or not.
To take the OP hand as an example, playing a take-out double, what is your follow-up plan when partner obeys your double and bids 2C?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-29, 18:06

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-28, 22:54, said:

I see this occasionally. Have never understood the logic, and still don't.

The logic is that my partner and I suck at defense, and we declare a trick better than we defend, and the opponents similarly suck at defense. At club level, this is surprisingly frequently true.

(To be fair, w/w at MPs, there is the argument that +110 scores better than +100, and the penalty double is risky since -180 is worse than -100.)

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-June-30, 00:51

Here's a 1NT overcall structure that has "take-out" and penalty doubles. It's attributed to Johnathan Cansino

(1NT) ..??

Dbl = penalty. Any 16+, maybe less with suitable hands and/or vs. weak NT.
2 = 4+ hearts, 3+ clubs, 3+ in another suit, 10-15 H. The less HCP, the more three-suited the hand is. (4333 ok with a max, 4432 med, 4441 min, etc.)
2 = 4+ spades, 3+ diamonds, 3+ in another suit, 10-15 H. blabla.
2M = natural.

Works in 4th seat as well. If opps get busy, all subsequent redoubles are for take-out.

The novelty here is allowing overcalls on relatively balanced hands, which are by far the most common ones.

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 02:09

It could just be an issue about disclosure.

Neither a penalty double nor a takeout double of 1NT is prescriptive in the way that it might be regarded against suit contracts.

White v red, presumably a conversion of takeout double to penalty on a balanced 15 count opposite the double is mandatory
And presumably removing a penalty double with a Yarborough and a 6 card Spade suit is no less automatic.

The demarcation between the two is reflected in the cut-off point that defines a minimum balanced hand double and, in consequence, the cut-off point at which you might, opposite such a double, consider converting by passing.

Describing the double simply as "penalty" or "take-out" is probably less than complete in either case.

The difference is that a double described as "penalty" is familiar territory for most players and as such requires little elaboration when all parties visualise the same expanded definition. I don't think that the same can be said for the "takeout" variety.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-June-30, 06:37

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-June-30, 00:51, said:

Here's a 1NT overcall structure that has "take-out" and penalty doubles. It's attributed to Johnathan Cansino

Cansino and Sharples were practically the standard defences to a weak NT once upon a time in England. Only Cansino was given differently to the one you have, with 2 showing clubs and 2 other suits and 2 both majors. Sharples was closer with 2 showing spades and 2 showing short clubs. As a junior I played a variation with 2 showing short clubs and 2 showing clubs and 2 others.

The emphasis in defences like this is different from 2-suited ones. Rather than the hand with shape acting it is rather the hand with strength. And it is remarkable how often you can scramble to a playable contract. To be honest it was fun to play but there are better options around and just occasionally the best fit you can stop in is a 7 card minor at the 3 level.

You can also play 3-suited overcalls without giving up on 1 and 2 suited hands if you want. That is the basis of Marvin French's defence. His Strong NT defence runs something like

X = ; or +; or ++
2 = ; or +; or ++
2 = ; or +; or ++
2 = ; or +; or ++
2 = (weaker than 2)
2NT = or (weaker than 2/2)
3 = +
3 = +
3M = nat, strong

His weak NT defence works similarly but is more awkward due to using the double in the traditional way. I am not so fond of that but his ideas were an influence on the alternative defences I came up with.
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-June-30, 12:21

easy double. easy lead if they leave it in.

would double at imps, tho partner's passed hand status makes it riskier.

FWIW, my advice is that one should treat all opening 1N bids that have an upper limit of 14 or less as weak, and all that can include 15 counts as strong. It is a simple agreement and prevents misunderstandings when, for example, the opps announce 13-15, as was once quite common in some big club methods, and one of you thinks 'weak' and the other 'strong'.

This or a similar agreement is needed, imo, since one should play different methods against weak than strong, with different goals and expectations.

Against weak, my preference is that doubles are strength showing (treated as penalty, and pulled only with weakness OR significant shape, and in the latter case, pulled in a forcing method), and my preference is that double shows 15+.

We have 15, hence double. Indeed, it is easy because we expect to rattle off the 1st 4 tricks and by then know quite a bit about the hand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   ArtK78 

Posted 2014-June-30, 13:57

View Postmikeh, on 2014-June-30, 12:21, said:

FWIW, my advice is that one should treat all opening 1N bids that have an upper limit of 14 or less as weak, and all that can include 15 counts as strong. It is a simple agreement and prevents misunderstandings when, for example, the opps announce 13-15, as was once quite common in some big club methods, and one of you thinks 'weak' and the other 'strong'.

That is very close to the agreement that I have with most of my partners. The agreement that I have is that if the opponents' range includes 16, we treat it as a strong NT, but if the upper limit is less than 16, then we treat it as a weak NT. So you would count the 13-15 range as strong while I would treat it as weak.

#17 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-June-30, 15:02

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-June-30, 06:37, said:

1. Cansino and Sharples were practically the standard defences to a weak NT once upon a time in England. Only Cansino was given differently to the one you have, with 2 showing clubs and 2 other suits and 2 both majors. (...)

2. The emphasis in defences like this is different from 2-suited ones. Rather than the hand with shape acting it is rather the hand with strength. And it is remarkable how often you can scramble to a playable contract. To be honest it was fun to play but there are better options around and just occasionally the best fit you can stop in is a 7 card minor at the 3 level.

3. You can also play 3-suited overcalls without giving up on 1 and 2 suited hands if you want. That is the basis of Marvin French's defence. His Strong NT defence runs something like

1. Hmm.. I see. Well, I got my Cansino version from a nebulous source. The person probably fiddled around with it before I got it.

2. I have good experiences from the modified version of Cansino I played. Can't remember having been caught speeding :)

3. Thx. I'll refrain from showing Marvin's defence to the person of #1 lol.

#18 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-30, 15:39

I'm thinking I should have posted this without the J...

#19 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2014-July-01, 00:07

View Postbroze, on 2014-June-30, 15:39, said:

I'm thinking I should have posted this without the J...

then I pass. One needs a dividing line somewhere. My subjective view of my extensive experience playing virtually every range of notrump opening bids, and defending, is that flat 14 counts ought to say pass. It's obviously close, since with 15 I double, but one has to make choices, and that is my dividing line.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2014-July-01, 02:35

That may be the first time I have seen anyone suggest to treat 13-15 as a strong NT. That doesn't mean it's bad, obviously it's a close decision - but I would also think that treating it as strong is just a bit inferior. I think there is a reason that it has become popular to treat 14-16 as weak if the opponents like to upgrade into 1NT.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users