BBO Discussion Forums: w/w MP Decision - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

w/w MP Decision vs weak NT

Poll: w/w MP Decision (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid

1. Pass (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

2. Double (32 votes [94.12%])

Percentage of vote: 94.12%

3. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2014-July-01, 03:31

Double. Typically, I play these as higher end equal plus value hands or, if playing Cappelletti, penalty. So here my double would show a good 14 or decent 15 exactly what this hand is.

A bit more caution is needed when competing over a weak NT. But at some point if you don't compete, you'll find yourself getting stolen blind from the weak NTers. If partner has a good 9 or 10, game may be in the works -- even 3 NT. But if you pass this hand now, you may never get there, even if partner backs into the auction. With a max of 13 points in the remaining hands, there's a good possibility partner might not have enough to bid even though the par result would be a part score your way.

The danger is that NTer's partner might hold the 9 or 10 and you'd be stepping into big trouble. C'est la guerre.

In any case, the AKQJ are good leads versus NT and can provide a resting place and tricks if you get into trouble.

#22 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-01, 03:43

I am another with Mike and Art but my dividing lines are 16 for a strong NT and 15+ with a good lead or any 16+ for a double. As a frequent player of a weak NT I see the opponents getting into trouble after a double on a nondescript 15 count time and time again and am fairly certain it is a long term loser, at least for intermediate pairs.

I suspect that it is actually better to look at the lower end of the range for deciding if a NT is strong or not, so a lower end of 13 or less = weak and 14+ = strong. That sort of coincides with Arend's observation of 13+-16 often being treated as weak too. But that requires slightly better agreements due to the generally more nebulous lower end of NT ranges than the top end.
(-: Zel :-)

#23 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-July-01, 04:44

View Postcherdano, on 2014-July-01, 02:35, said:

That may be the first time I have seen anyone suggest to treat 13-15 as a strong NT.

I played a 13-15 NT in a european championship some years ago and one of my opponents decided to treat it as strong. That was in 1996 I think.

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-July-01, 05:06

I don't like the idea of having the maximum of a range as a factor to distinguish a weak NT from a strong one. In particular, 12-15 is semi popular, and there is a pair in my club who even play 10-15 when NV. Should we really treat their NT as strong? I know that MikeH could beat them with his hands tied behind his back, but there are annoying systems like that at all but the highest levels and we shouldn't fall in their traps.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users