Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

eschewing the fit

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-26, 12:58

[hv=sn=1eyedjack&s=SAJ4HAQ6DAJ7CJ987&wn=Robot&w=S952H975DT842CKT3&nn=Robot&n=SQ3HKJ8432DQ95C62&en=Robot&e=SKT876HTDK63CAQ54&d=s&v=b&b=7&a=1N(notrump%20opener.%20Could%20have%205M.%20--%202-5%20%21C)P2D!(Jacoby%20transfer%20--%205+%20%21H)P2H(Transfer%20completed%20to%20H%20--%202-5%20%21C%3B%202-5%20%21)P3H(Invitational%20to%204H%20--%206+%20%21H%3B%209%20total%20points)P3N(2-5%20%21C%3B%202-5%20%21D%3B%202-5%20%21H%3B%202-5%20%21S%3B%2016-17%20HC)P4H(6+%20%21H%3B%209%20total%20points)PPP&p=S2S3STSJHAH5H2HTHQH9H3S8H6H7HKC5D5D3DJD4SAS5SQS7S4S9H4SKHJC4C7C3C2CAC8CTCQC9CKC6DTD9D6DACJD2DQS6D7D8H8DK]400|300[/hv]

IMP, best hand South, Pro GIB 30

This hand is to revisit a complaint that I made too many months ago to find it now, although I am sure I have made it several times.

The basic principle of my complaint is that having completed its hand description and hearing a non-forcing bid from partner, by default it should then pass.

What it seems to be doing here, and I have to say it does it every time, is that having determined that there is an 8 card major suit fit it WILL NOT accept 3NT as a possible contract.

What it appears to disregard, but should not, is the fact that it has already announced an 8+ card major suit fit, and South, in full knowledge of that fit, and known to both parties to the partnership to be in possession of that knowledge, has chosen 3N as likely the best spot.

Has North a hand that suggests overriding South's suggestion? In context, he could hardly be more suitable for concurring with South's preference for 3N.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-26, 13:01

Try again.

To BBradley62, the above attempt is the reason why I tend to paste the hand into notepad for editing before recopying and pasting into the post, rather than pasting directly into the post and editing it there.

This hand is to revisit a complaint that I made too many months ago to find it now, although I am sure I have made it several times.

The basic principle of my complaint is that having completed its hand description and hearing a non-forcing bid from partner, by default it should then pass.

What it seems to be doing here, and I have to say it does it every time, is that having determined that there is an 8 card major suit fit it WILL NOT accept 3NT as a possible contract.

What it appears to disregard, but should not, is the fact that it has already announced an 8+ card major suit fit, and South, in full knowledge of that fit, and known to both parties to the partnership to be in possession of that knowledge, has chosen 3N as likely the best spot.

Has North a hand that suggests overriding South's suggestion? In context, he could hardly be more suitable for concurring with South's preference for 3N.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-26, 15:07

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-26, 12:58, said:

That was weird... I've never seen it do that with pasting the url... you just have to remove the whole url part. But, I frequently edit incorrectly (for example, forgetting to put the close-bracket in front of the diagram dimensions), so I simply go back and edit my original post rather than starting from scratch.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-26, 15:14

The problem here appears to not be North's "thinking", but rather the description of South's 3N. That description should include "2", not "2-5". Maybe then North will not consider the possibility that he's missing an 11 card fit.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2014-June-26, 16:11

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-June-26, 15:14, said:

The problem here appears to not be North's "thinking", but rather the description of South's 3N. That description should include "2", not "2-5". Maybe then North will not consider the possibility that he's missing an 11 card fit.

2 description ok, Gib need a max and 4 to super-accept, whether that's a god policy is another question.

its the description of 3N that's wrong 2-5 obviously unlikely south has 4-5 even 3 would require a special hand to give up on known 9-card fit.

But this just illustrated Gib doesn't use the concept of Captaincy. Clearly south is in charge as north has limited it\s hand so should respect south's decision.

got it the other was round south is limited, north the captain
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-26, 17:31

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-June-26, 15:07, said:

That was weird... I've never seen it do that with pasting the url... you just have to remove the whole url part. But, I frequently edit incorrectly (for example, forgetting to put the close-bracket in front of the diagram dimensions), so I simply go back and edit my original post rather than starting from scratch.

It may be an Internet Explorer thing

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-26, 20:50

View Poststeve2005, on 2014-June-26, 16:11, said:

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-June-26, 15:14, said:

2 description ok, Gib need a max and 4 to super-accept, whether that's a god policy is another question.its the description of 3N that's wrong 2-5 obviously unlikely south has 4-5 even 3 would require a special hand to give up on known 9-card fit...
Ummm... isn't that exactly what I said?

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-27, 05:12

Isn't 3NT on these kinds of auctions normally COG? North is therefore within his rights to remove 3NT - that's not to say that this particular North hand should remove 3NT, I think pass is better.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-27, 08:55

Does anyone know offhand what GIB's requirements are for Texas?

#10 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-July-04, 06:36

In v31, GIB will obey on partner's 3NT and will pass, not correct to 4.

Btw, GIB requirements for high transfers are:

11+TP with 6+M
or
9-10TP with 7+M

GIB mild slam ( 1N - 2/2 - 2/ - 4/ uncontested) is 14-15TP 6M(322)/7222

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users