BBO Discussion Forums: Compatibility stars - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Compatibility stars How compatibility determined and evaluated?

#1 User is offline   dariab 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-25, 11:09

How are the compatibility-stars determined? Who does the evaluation and on what basis of any player? I am just curious! While playing on BBO (I play mostly "indies" ) - I see some players having only 300 log-ons and very low point-score - having 5 stars. How was that determined?
dariab

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-June-25, 12:05

View Postdariab, on 2014-June-25, 11:09, said:

How are the compatibility-stars determined? Who does the evaluation and on what basis of any player? I am just curious! While playing on BBO (I play mostly "indies" ) - I see some players having only 300 log-ons and very low point-score - having 5 stars. How was that determined?
dariab

Hi Daria,

Compatibility is determined between two players - it's not something specific to each player separately. When you see 5 stars in someone's profile it means you and that person are probably very compatible. They also see 5 stars in your profile.

See a detailed discussion about compatibility stars here:

http://www.bridgebas...ggestions-here/

#3 User is offline   gamingrams 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-26, 10:52

I find it very interesting that I seem to have lower compatibility ratings with my best partners and the highest with friends that I often do not play with as a partner. Does this make sense?

#4 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2014-June-26, 21:07

View Postgamingrams, on 2014-June-26, 10:52, said:

I find it very interesting that I seem to have lower compatibility ratings with my best partners and the highest with friends that I often do not play with as a partner. Does this make sense?

Yes, it makes a great deal of sense. The BBO 'compatibility' rating is in its infancy. In fact, it may still be in the womb, and using it is like looking at cloudy ultrasound images from 20 years ago. The things they can measure now are almost orthogonal to compatibility -- I forget the list, but it includes things like language and average number of IMP/MP won or lost per hand (well, I've seen one pair on BBO who seem to *always* play with each other, so it would help in their case!).

Expect it to get better, if it's possible for it to get better (and it may be too hard a problem for the resources BBO might want to devote to it). How do you measure compatibility at the bridge table when it's so many things that are almost impossible to measure? How do you take a fix? How well do you take and give captaincy as the opportunity arises? Are you a good defender? You've put 2/1 on your profile, but you're also an expert at Precision? When your partner makes a blatant error, how do you react?
Liberty breeds responsibility

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users