• You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-June-24, 15:43

imps all pairs acol ATB

i was pretty annoyed with myself on this, but interested on forum concensus of blame

thanks

eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-24, 15:50

View Posteagles123, on 2014-June-24, 15:43, said:

imps all pairs acol ATB

i was pretty annoyed with myself on this, but interested on forum concensus of blame

thanks

eagles

I would not suggest defending in front of partner in a forcing pass situation with the North hand. My K of d's is likely working, and I fear a double fit. I think if N passes the decision (forcing) to S, south in this case will do the right thing. If you reverse N's hearts and clubs, I think it's a different decision.

When my opps double here, both black suits are 2-2 and I'm once again down sticks and wheels.
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-24, 16:08

What's your style ? does 1 suggest 5 of them ? What is 2 over 1 ?

I'd be bidding 3 with the S hand over 2.

The problem is that you have not articulated the double fit, there are several ways of doing it, but I don't know what you have available. If you've bid 2 first time (fit) then X over 5 is right to suggest 5224 with a diamond card. If you haven't yet shown the club fit, you can't afford to double.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-24, 16:09

South has more than just 2 raise imo. Especially when they bid diamond and diamond forever at these colors that K pd holds is a surprise.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-24, 16:32

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-June-24, 16:08, said:

What's your style ? does 1 suggest 5 of them ? What is 2 over 1 ?

I'd be bidding 3 with the S hand over 2.

The problem is that you have not articulated the double fit, there are several ways of doing it, but I don't know what you have available. If you've bid 2 first time (fit) then X over 5 is right to suggest 5224 with a diamond card. If you haven't yet shown the club fit, you can't afford to double.

no complex agreements just acol 3 wk etc etc.

4M4m32 opening outside NT range not discussed
support doubles not discussed
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-June-24, 18:09

South may have been concerned with weak trump but at least he holds 4 pieces and, IMHO, has too much playing strength for a single raise to 2.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-24, 19:27

100% south for horridly weak 2s underbid which makes slam seem really
far fetched from the north side. There are plenty of simple 2s bids to
be found xxxx AQx Axx Kxx nice simple no wasted values 2s raise the
problem hand Jxxx Axx x AKQxx appears to be close to 2 tricks better
(if not more) but since a 3s will ask p to bid game with a couple of
aces 3s should be more than sufficient since game is unlikely unless
responder can produce at least that much.

South must have felt at least some pangs of guilt about their original
underbid when north bid 4s and it borders on criminal to pass the x knowing
you have a very offensively oriented hand with extra values. Passing 5d with
the first example hand I gave is fine but really poor hand evaluation with the
hand given in the problem.

100% south for leaving the very reasonable x in.

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-25, 02:04

At this vulnerability I wouldn't oppose doubling 5. In fact, it seems normal.

2 was indeed a bit of an underbid, but it does show 5 clubs (3 would be right on values, but could be done on strong NT type hand - system is ACOL). I think you'd have to stretch and splinterize 4. Then North can perhaps bid 5 easily due to the double fit.

But what happened? only 1 down?

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 02:22

View Postwhereagles, on 2014-June-25, 02:04, said:

But what happened? only 1 down?

I would say that missing the good slam is what happened.

For me most of the blame goes to South for bidding only 2. But North is not free of blame either. The only defensive tricks he has are the K and the A, he knows of the double fit in the black suits (most likely 2x9), can see that the opponents are likely to have a double fit in the red suits (8-10 or 9-9), and he chooses unilaterally to defend. The very least he could have done is ask his partner for his opinion.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-June-25, 02:36

View Postgszes, on 2014-June-24, 19:27, said:

100% south for horridly weak 2s underbid which makes slam seem really
far fetched from the north side. There are plenty of simple 2s bids to
be found xxxx AQx Axx Kxx nice simple no wasted values 2s raise the
problem hand Jxxx Axx x AKQxx appears to be close to 2 tricks better
(if not more) but since a 3s will ask p to bid game with a couple of
aces 3s should be more than sufficient since game is unlikely unless
responder can produce at least that much.

South must have felt at least some pangs of guilt about their original
underbid when north bid 4s and it borders on criminal to pass the x knowing
you have a very offensively oriented hand with extra values. Passing 5d with
the first example hand I gave is fine but really poor hand evaluation with the
hand given in the problem.

100% south for leaving the very reasonable x in.

OP is playing Acol, he may well be playing a weak NT so your 2 raise may not be possible. S's problem is that he doesn't know about the double fit, N could be looking at KJxxx, KJxx, KQ, xx where you're potentially taking a small fortune out of 5 but are struggling to make 5.

#11 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 04:17

Concur with the sentiments about South's 2 rebid. But if North is going to bid 4, nothing would have been lost with a 4 bid surely to alert South about the double fit
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-June-25, 04:34

View PostNickRW, on 2014-June-25, 04:17, said:

Concur with the sentiments about South's 2 rebid. But if North is going to bid 4, nothing would have been lost with a 4 bid surely to alert South about the double fit

I thought about that, but isn't partner with AQxxx now going to think the suit is solid ?

#13 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 04:48

View PostTrinidad, on 2014-June-25, 02:22, said:

I would say that missing the good slam is what happened.

For me most of the blame goes to South for bidding only 2. But North is not free of blame either. The only defensive tricks he has are the K and the A, he knows of the double fit in the black suits (most likely 2x9), can see that the opponents are likely to have a double fit in the red suits (8-10 or 9-9), and he chooses unilaterally to defend. The very least he could have done is ask his partner for his opinion.

Rik

would pass over 5D have been forcing?

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-June-25, 05:17

View Posteagles123, on 2014-June-25, 04:48, said:

Not in my book and I play more FP than most people. If 3 was bid by S, or N had done something stronger than just bid 4 it would be for me.

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 05:28

View Posteagles123, on 2014-June-25, 04:48, said:

For this NS pair it certainly should. But there are pairs where 4 doesn't set up a forcing pass (because 4 basically shows a lot of spades and not necessarily much else).

If pass isn't forcing for the OP, then North should not have bid 4, but instead should have made a bid that set up a forcing pass situation. He certainly has a hand that wants to set up a forcing pass.

So, let me rephrase from "the double of 5 is wrong" to "either the double of 5 is wrong, or (in case pass wasn't forcing) 4 was wrong".

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 05:47

2 may be an underbid but not quite as much of an underbid as it would have been for a strong-NT pair. Playing weak NT, the single raise is done on balanced 15-16 counts and unbalanced 11-14 counts (the latter will obviously often be short in opps' suit).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 05:48

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-June-25, 02:36, said:

OP is playing Acol, he may well be playing a weak NT so your 2 raise may not be possible. S's problem is that he doesn't know about the double fit, N could be looking at KJxxx, KJxx, KQ, xx where you're potentially taking a small fortune out of 5 but are struggling to make 5.

Bridge is a game of % the more time we have to show stuff the more accurate our bidding. We
did not have that much time here so we must guess more. How often is poor partner going to
be looking at KQ of diamonds when the opps have 9/10 of them. My "guess" is not often at all
and it is not a failure of imagination but a knowledgeable guess that would make south continue
on to 5s (especially after the simple 2s rebid). Sure once in a while the guess is wrong but
in the long run this is one guess that will probably be right well over 85% of the time.

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-June-25, 06:05

View Postgszes, on 2014-June-25, 05:48, said:

Bridge is a game of % the more time we have to show stuff the more accurate our bidding. We
did not have that much time here so we must guess more. How often is poor partner going to
be looking at KQ of diamonds when the opps have 9/10 of them. My "guess" is not often at all
and it is not a failure of imagination but a knowledgeable guess that would make south continue
on to 5s (especially after the simple 2s rebid). Sure once in a while the guess is wrong but
in the long run this is one guess that will probably be right well over 85% of the time.

He doesn't need the Q to achieve the same thing most of the time, it's probably not a trick, I just added it to give more points.

I said I would bid 3 but I think it's marginal, in weak NT acol you have 4 way more often for a 2 raise than you do playing strong NT so some pairs would just bid 2 here. 5 is potentially asking for all sorts of trouble, KQJxx, Jxxx, Kx, Jx is another example where you just aren't making 5 on any sensible defence barring a miracle, but even if you get that miracle, you'd probably have been better off defending 5X.

This is why I like 2 fit from N, now both know about the double fit and bidding on is trivial.

#19 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 06:16

edit: nonsense
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-25, 06:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-June-25, 05:47, said:

2 may be an underbid but not quite as much of an underbid as it would have been for a strong-NT pair. Playing weak NT, the single raise is done on balanced 15-16 counts and unbalanced 11-14 counts (the latter will obviously often be short in opps' suit).

That is all true. But I think that the South hand (with 13 HCP) is worth quite a bit more than 11-14. That is not because it is unbalanced, but because it has all the right high cards. (You could view it as 1 ace in hearts and 3 aces in clubs = 16+ points.) AJxx KJx Q Kxxxx has the same shape and an extra HCP, but now 2 would be correct (certainly in a weak 1NT context, but probably even in a strong 1NT context).

Rik

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users