BBO Discussion Forums: RKCB after human partner has jump-shifted - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RKCB after human partner has jump-shifted

#1 User is offline   beowulf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, railroads, beer

Posted 2014-June-23, 13:01

Yesterday in an ACBL robot tournament (#72) I made a Soloway Jump Shift. My robot partner then launched into RKCB and discovered that I had 0 or 3 "aces" (obviously, I had 3). But the robot tried to sign off just in case I had made a jump shift without any aces. The problem is that I didn't know how many aces my robot partner had. I bid 6NT and got a good board (83%). But 7NT would have been somewhat better (98%).

I held: AQT 8 AKQJ972 J8. Robot held: KJ85 AJ652 53 A6

Complete auction: 1 p 3 p 4 p 4 p 4NT p 5 p 5 p 6NT p p p.

Is it possible to teach the robots this kind of deduction?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-23, 18:03

Robot has fairly recently been instructed that when RKC responder has the greater of his two possible holdings, he will bid again. So, he knew what you had, but couldn't proceed over 6N. If you had bid 5, he would have known you had 3 keycards and might have asked for kings rather than signing off in 6, in which case you would have known he had both missing aces.

Edit: But it still looks like it's going to be hard for either of you to count to 13 tricks.

#3 User is offline   beowulf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, railroads, beer

Posted 2014-June-24, 06:07

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-June-23, 18:03, said:

Robot has fairly recently been instructed that when RKC responder has the greater of his two possible holdings, he will bid again. So, he knew what you had, but couldn't proceed over 6N. If you had bid 5, he would have known you had 3 keycards and might have asked for kings rather than signing off in 6, in which case you would have known he had both missing aces.

Edit: But it still looks like it's going to be hard for either of you to count to 13 tricks.

True enough about the thirteen tricks, though if he'd found out I had K and Q by bidding 5 it would have helped. But my main point is that a hand that has jump-shifted must have at least one ace and 99% will have three or more key-cards.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users