• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-16, 14:23

Imps

#2 User is offline   trevahound 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 14:32

In with double (again), not 4nt. I'm happy if partner leaves this in, and feel okay with any other call partner makes. Wtp? Is this really close?
"I suggest a chapter on "strongest dummy opposite my free bids." For example, someone might wonder how I once put this hand down as dummy in a spade contract: AQ10xxx void AKQxx KQ. Did I start with Michaels? Did I cuebid until partner was forced to pick one of my suits? No, I was just playing with Brian (6S made when the trump king dropped singleton)." David Wright

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-16, 14:47

Well, I'm bidding 4NT. Pass/dbl is too likely to be the end, and I'm not sure that's best for our side.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 15:13

easy double

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 15:14

double is obvious we have average ODR despite the void

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-June-16, 15:18

View Postlesh, on 2014-June-16, 14:23, said:

Imps
IMO Double = 10, Pass = 8, 4N = 7.

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-16, 15:19

View Postnige1, on 2014-June-16, 15:18, said:

IMO Double = 10, Pass = 8, 4N = 7.

and that's the largest difference between nige1's 1st and 2nd ranking since 2008.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-June-16, 15:50

I'd double, assuming that's for takeout.

It's nice to find that I'm actually able to answer one of Lesh's problems. The other three are too difficult for me.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-June-16, 16:05

rubbish deleted :(

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-17, 06:29

On average we appear to have a game our way which makes any risk
vs reward decision mostly simple. The problem then seems to be how
to decide to pursue game. IMHO 4n seems far superior to x for a
number of reasons.

1. x will far too often result in the opps playing 4sx which rates to be
a poor result for us.

2. if p bids diamonds are we confident enough to leave it in and is diamonds
going to play well since our dia supply will quickly evaporate with spade leads.

3. Strain will be the most important factor in making at the 5 level and up both
the hearts and the (lack of top cards but strong intermediate) clubs give us good
reason to like those suits and if the choice is close we would almost surely prefer
to play !H!C vs diamonds.

4. If p bids diamonds after our 4n we can have a great deal more confidence that dia
is a great place to play (not a sure thing though).

5. x may well result in playing 4s x when p is above average and slam is a huge favorite
our way and it is highly unlikely any reasonable 4s opening bid is going for 1400.

4n = 8
x = 5
P = 2

#11 User is offline   lesh 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-17, 08:04

This hand happened to me one day later I ended up going for 4nt and the 2000 :) I try not to get discouraged after bad results so I was in the action again :)

Well... I try to bid the same over and over again to avoid biases :) So I went in with 4nt again :) I found partner with

So it didn't end up that bad after all :) So for those of you who selected DBL, what should our partner do :)

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-17, 10:36

Bid 5, what else? :)

#13 User is offline   razorsharp 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-17, 14:16

WOW! What a dilemma! Toss-up between X & 4NT? Pass is pusillanimous, as action(s) probabaly improve our chances.

Over 4S opener, X is "takeout with many QT's" (3 or is it 2? GULP) 4NT is any 2-OR-3 suited takeout. Theoretically, partner's 5D/4NT pull would be "pass or correct" but I'd probably leave it in unless LHO whakked it out!)

I vote for 4NT since I'm S-VOID for offense+, and they have so-big a fit that 5S is imminent. My 3rd QT on D is very suspect. Both sides could make here, but if EITHER side makes we probably should be bidding, eh?

I rate 4NT=10, X=5, P=2. trust me!H I'm razorsharp

#14 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-18, 15:39

I had a dream that this hand went 4S X p 5C p 6C p 7C
The artist formerly known as jlall

#15 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-18, 15:43

Also if it goes 4S 4N p ? What do you bid? If partner has clubs you want to bid a slam but if they have the reds you don't (?) So maybe bidding 5D is right, you trade playing 5D opposite the minors (but if partner has the minors they probably have a good save in any number of spades, and compared to bidding 5C you will still play a making game if they don't save), but you get to 6C opposite C+H.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-18, 17:00

View Postlesh, on 2014-June-17, 08:04, said:

So for those of you who selected DBL, what should our partner do :)

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-18, 17:40

How close is the N hand to passing 4Sx? xx instead of xxx in spades?
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-19, 11:54

This hand happened to me one day later I ended up going for 4nt and the 2000 :) I try not to get discouraged after bad results so I was in the action again :)

Well... I try to bid the same over and over again to avoid biases :) So I went in with 4nt again :) I found partner with

So it didn't end up that bad after all :) So for those of you who selected DBL, what should our partner do :)

look at the two hands side by side and you will note that the second hand is not only
20% stronger (yes 2 hcp is actually 20%) but has a void in the spade suit (the void is
hard to qualtify but gut feeling is the void alone probably adds 30% or more to your
chances of success). This is a rather massive difference when one is thinking about making
any bid and it means you have a 50% greater chance of success and 50% chance less of
significant damage by bidding with hand 2 vs hand 1. The two hands are really not all
that close at high levels. Most of the time we take our time at the low levels and only
once we are happy do we venture into the 5+ level. Take a closer look at what you and
your partners would consider as minimum values for an overcall of a 4s opener at
unfavorable.

Be discouraged by bad results that are not caused by unreasonable distribution::::: and do not
become enamored with success that is also a product of unreasonable distribution--ie say making
6n on 3 finesses and 2 suit breaks:) or dummy hitting with 4 card trump support and a void for no
reason in particular:)

#19 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-19, 11:55

look at the two hands side by side and you will note that the second hand is not only
20% stronger (yes 2 hcp is actually 20%) but has a void in the spade suit (the void is
hard to quantify but gut feeling is the void alone probably adds 30% or more to your
chances of success). This is a rather massive difference when one is thinking about making
any bid and it means you have a 50% greater chance of success and 50% chance less of
significant damage by bidding with hand 2 vs hand 1. The two hands are really not all
that close at high levels. Most of the time we take our time at the low levels and only
once we are happy do we venture into the 5+ level. Take a closer look at what you and
your partners would consider as minimum values for an overcall of a 4s opener at
unfavorable.

Be discouraged by bad results that are not caused by unreasonable distribution::::: and do not
become enamored with success that is also a product of unreasonable distribution--ie say making
6n on 3 finesses and 2 suit breaks:) or dummy hitting with 4 card trump support and a void for no
reason in particular:)

#20 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-20, 08:20

I had a dream that this hand went 4S X p 5C p 6C p 7C -- PhantomSac

*** My dream was similar: 4S X p 5C p 5S p 7C.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users