• You cannot reply to this topic

Fantunes NT system

#1 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-June-10, 14:40

Does anyone play a NT structure similar to Fantoni-Nunes as on Dan Neill's site?

www.bridgewithdan.com/systems/Fantoni_Nunes.txt

The main point of interest is that some strong hands with spades also get in 2:

1NT-2: 4+ hearts or some hands with 5+ spades
2-2
2NT (forced)

3: (53)14 3 asks
3: (53)41 3 asks
3: 5S+4H GF (apparently)
3: 51(43)
3NT: 15(43)

I see also 5-5 invites in 1NT-2 and 1NT-2NT, and 5-5 slam interest with 1NT-transfer; bid 4m, but is there a way to just bid a 5-5 and make partner choose a game?

Does anyone play something like this? At the moment I don't see why this is better than just transfer extensions. Well, they do play 1N-2red; 2red+1; 3m as 5+m4M invite so that's one thing you gain.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#2 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-10, 20:18

I don't have any answers to your questions. If you haven't already, I'd recommend taking a look at the IMPrecision NT structure. Just by way of comparison, it can distinguish 1543 from 1534. Its transfers promise the transfer suit (although 4+ sometimes when GF). It has the ability to agree a major suit fit at the 3-level in a GF auction in many instances where Fantunes apparently can't. It mostly has the ability to invite with 5M/5m (perhaps stopping in 2S with 5S/5m when a superior minor suit fit may or may not be available).

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-June-11, 02:56

Cheers, that looks like a cool system!
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-June-13, 07:57

What can you bid with a hand like Kx x AQxxxx Jxxx? I'd like to bid diamonds and show short hearts but apparently that shows 3154/3163. Showing 6/4 in the minors shows slam interest. Also hands with short om show 33 or better in majors, right? Not complaining, just asking. 64 minors is not that common, 3271 also not that super common, I know :)
      George Carlin

#5 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-13, 18:19

I think I'd interpret their notes the same as you. They can show 5m and short major with 3 of the other major and still play 3N but can't show a 6m4m without bypassing 3N. So 3172 isn't as difficult as 2173. There just isn't room to show every pattern and I think they've made some really good choices.

#6 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-13, 18:33

We actually play that 2nt...3d is any of:

1. 5+/5+ minors
2. 6/4 minors either way without slam interest

The idea is that the first priority is to decide if 3nt is playable and for this the minor suit length does not matter. Any later slam moves imply 5+/5+ though.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-June-15, 17:29

Thanks, that makes sense! Opener's first priority is to offer 3NT with very chunky majors. Would 3/3 be flags for the respective minors or show values/stops?

I see that opener with 4-4 can reply in either major to Stayman. Is there a particular reason for this? At a first glance it would seem that bidding 2 is more favourable*, is it just a question of being used to replying 2 (I will definitely do that sometimes..) or something deeper, like a mixed strategy?

Sorry to ask again but what do you bid with a 7-card minor and a singleton? I guess a lot of the there you have either an invitational hand or at least some slam interest.

*-you rightside and hide some information when responder has 5 spades+you can show your hand easier after the 3 GF relay.
      George Carlin

#8 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-15, 18:15

View Postgwnn, on 2014-June-15, 17:29, said:

Thanks, that makes sense! Opener's first priority is to offer 3NT with very chunky majors. Would 3/3 be flags for the respective minors or show values/stops?

I see that opener with 4-4 can reply in either major to Stayman. Is there a particular reason for this? At a first glance it would seem that bidding 2 is more favourable*, is it just a question of being used to replying 2 (I will definitely do that sometimes..) or something deeper, like a mixed strategy?

Sorry to ask again but what do you bid with a 7-card minor and a singleton? I guess a lot of the there you have either an invitational hand or at least some slam interest.

*-you rightside and hide some information when responder has 5 spades+you can show your hand easier after the 3 GF relay.

We use 3M as values/stops. Sometimes partner has help in one major, and sometimes knowledge of location of values helps with slam decisions (much better to have values opposite the doubleton than the singleton).

With 4-4 majors we normally respond 2 to stayman. There are possibly some other considerations of course.

With a seven card minor and a singleton and a really bad hand, we transfer to the minor and pass. With an invite we bid 2 of course. With a game force or better (probably the most interesting type) we show shortage as if we were 3361; obviously this might get us in trouble if partner has a five-card major opposite the doubleton and decides to insist on his major, but this scenario is rare and it might lead to a good contract anyway.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is offline   Alroy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-July-05, 14:15

Bid 2Clubs over a major bid game over 2Diamonds bid 4diamonds showing 5 5 in the majors.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users