Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bidding same values twice

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-07, 12:34

MP, best hand South, ACBL robot tourney, Advanced robot version 30.

Given the extremely narrow range of values expressed by the 2H bid, how can 2N by South be an invitation? 2H WAS the invitation, and 2N declined it.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-07, 17:52

This is a really strange thing,while I play basic robot,Gib usually pass after my 2N in almost of similar hands.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-07, 19:51

If 2 shows 5+C and 4+H with 10-11 HCP, and North actually holds 10HCP without extra length, he should decline anyway.

Oddly, the description of 2N includes up to 6 clubs and diamonds but only 4-S. I can't copy the diagram right now, but see bonh2o on the traveller for the full description.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-07, 21:41

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-June-07, 19:51, said:

If 2 shows 5+C and 4+H with 10-11 HCP, and North actually holds 10HCP without extra length, he should decline anyway.

Oddly, the description of 2N includes up to 6 clubs and diamons but only 4-S. I can't copy the diagram right now, but see bonh2o on the traveller for the full description.

4 card and 6 card ,these are impossible descriptive bids,it appears that there are some illogic confusions on basic bidding explanations.

#5 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-08, 05:27

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-07, 12:34, said:

MP, best hand South, ACBL robot tourney, Advanced robot version 30.

Given the extremely narrow range of values expressed by the 2H bid, how can 2N by South be an invitation? 2H WAS the invitation, and 2N declined it.

I am mystified why you bid over 2C- you have some clubs and basic hand.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-08, 06:20

View Postcloa513, on 2014-June-08, 05:27, said:

Point
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-08, 09:05

View Postcloa513, on 2014-June-08, 05:27, said:

Because North might be 1444.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-08, 09:39

View PostBbradley62, on 2014-June-08, 09:05, said:

Because North might be 1444.

You sure it would not respond 1N? or 2N?

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-08, 16:05

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-08, 09:39, said:

You sure it would not respond 1N? or 2N?

I will defer to someone who can either look at the code or provide counter-examples. I cannot reconcile the original hand with this one, on which I think a 2 response should be clear by a passed hand:

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-08, 16:31

1N response by a passed hand is still technically forcing in Gibberish (notwithstanding that humans frequently pass it, myself included). 2C response by a passed hand is technically non-forcing. With an assured 8 card Heart fit I can understand that GIB would not want to make a bid that has the potential for stopping out of a Heart contract. As for why GIB did not direct raise Hearts, well that is another matter. And does a jump response to 3C by a passed hand show a Heart fit?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users