BBO Discussion Forums: GIB Release Notes - updated with each new version - BBO Discussion Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB Release Notes - updated with each new version A place to keep track of GIB upgrades

#81 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-17, 22:35

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-April-11, 08:53, said:

It appears to me that there are about 300 threads in this forum that were created after the release of Version 32 that no BBO staff member has commented on. Will these be reviewed for possible action?

It means whether we maybe add to the trouble in those many threads,so ignore us?

#82 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-11, 08:35

A new version of GIB is here! We call this Version 34.

Changes:
  • A bug that appeared in the previous version that prevented GIB from making a proper preference to the first suit at a high level was fixed. In other words, GIB will now correct back to diamonds if the auction goes 1♦ - 3♠ - P - P - 4♣ and it has equal or greater diamond length than club length.
  • GIB used to miscount losers in response to blackwood, causing overbidding such as grand slams off the queen of trumps or even off a keycard. That will no longer happen.
  • GIB used to occasionally pass the 5NT response to blackwood that shows 2 keycards plus a void. That bid will no longer be passed.
  • When super-accepting a Jacoby transfer, GIB will show a doubleton in the transfer suit naturally, rather than jumping to 3 of the trump suit. Also, responder will re-transfer to the suit on the 4 level if there is no room on the 3 level. For example, 1NT - 2♥ - 3♥ - 4♥ is now a re-transfer to spades.
  • When a passed hand makes a takeout double, GIB will jump in response much less frequently.
  • GIB will now consider playing in a 4-4 fit in the other major when a major suit is opened and raised. For example, 1♥ - 2♥ - 2NT (showing spades), if responder GIB has a maximum with 4+ spades it will raise to 3♠. Opener can then choose which major suit to play in by bidding 4♥ or 4♠, either of which GIB will pass.
  • GIB now knows that doubling an opening bid and rebidding 1NT shows 19-21 points, rather than 12+ points.
  • After a Jacoby 2NT major suit raise and opener shows a singleton, responder can now cuebid with a little less, though it still shows extra values. For example, 1♠ - 2NT - 3♣ - 3♦ is a cuebid showing extras, but no longer shows such a massive hand as it did before. Before, GIB thought that cuebid showed so much that it was almost always bidding slam over it.
  • The Grand Slam Force convention was fixed. GIB used to sometimes bid a grand slam lacking 2 of the top 3 honors, but it will no longer do that.
  • GIB will now tend to bid a 4 card major suit rather than a 5+ card diamond suit when responding on a weakish hand. This solves a problem that 4-4 spade fits were being lost after 1♣ - 1♦ - 1♥, since a 1♠ rebid by responder was not natural.
  • GIB still plays that an auction like 1♦ - 1♠ - 1N - 3♣ is a signoff in clubs, but now it shows 6+ instead of 5+, and the range was corrected as well.
  • Other various bug fixes and improvements.

#83 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-June-11, 20:03

Wow, that's sounds like a lot of bidding problems corrected. hope it works out!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#84 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-11, 20:52

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-11, 08:35, said:

A new version of GIB is here! We call this Version 34.

Changes:
  • A bug that appeared in the previous version that prevented GIB from making a proper preference to the first suit at a high level was fixed. In other words, GIB will now correct back to diamonds if the auction goes 1♦ - 3♠ - P - P - 4♣ and it has equal or greater diamond length than club length.
  • GIB used to miscount losers in response to blackwood, causing overbidding such as grand slams off the queen of trumps or even off a keycard. That will no longer happen.
  • GIB used to occasionally pass the 5NT response to blackwood that shows 2 keycards plus a void. That bid will no longer be passed.
  • When super-accepting a Jacoby transfer, GIB will show a doubleton in the transfer suit naturally, rather than jumping to 3 of the trump suit. Also, responder will re-transfer to the suit on the 4 level if there is no room on the 3 level. For example, 1NT - 2♥ - 3♥ - 4♥ is now a re-transfer to spades.
  • When a passed hand makes a takeout double, GIB will jump in response much less frequently.
  • GIB will now consider playing in a 4-4 fit in the other major when a major suit is opened and raised. For example, 1♥ - 2♥ - 2NT (showing spades), if responder GIB has a maximum with 4+ spades it will raise to 3♠. Opener can then choose which major suit to play in by bidding 4♥ or 4♠, either of which GIB will pass.
  • GIB now knows that doubling an opening bid and rebidding 1NT shows 19-21 points, rather than 12+ points.
  • After a Jacoby 2NT major suit raise and opener shows a singleton, responder can now cuebid with a little less, though it still shows extra values. For example, 1♠ - 2NT - 3♣ - 3♦ is a cuebid showing extras, but no longer shows such a massive hand as it did before. Before, GIB thought that cuebid showed so much that it was almost always bidding slam over it.
  • The Grand Slam Force convention was fixed. GIB used to sometimes bid a grand slam lacking 2 of the top 3 honors, but it will no longer do that.
  • GIB will now tend to bid a 4 card major suit rather than a 5+ card diamond suit when responding on a weakish hand. This solves a problem that 4-4 spade fits were being lost after 1♣ - 1♦ - 1♥, since a 1♠ rebid by responder was not natural.
  • GIB still plays that an auction like 1♦ - 1♠ - 1N - 3♣ is a signoff in clubs, but now it shows 6+ instead of 5+, and the range was corrected as well.
  • Other various bug fixes and improvements.

Big problem with super acceptance with doubleton in transfering suit. Now responder cant stop in 3 with garbage after a super accept ! Please restore the old method.

#85 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 22:06

So what is 1NT-2; 3 now?

#86 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 22:00

View Postbaraka, on 2015-June-11, 20:52, said:

When super-accepting a Jacoby transfer, GIB will show a doubleton in the transfer suit naturally, rather than jumping to 3 of the trump suit. Also, responder will re-transfer to the suit on the 4 level if there is no room on the 3 level. For example, 1NT - 2♥ - 3♥ - 4♥ is now a re-transfer to spades.

Big problem with super acceptance with doubleton in transfering suit. Now responder cant stop in 3 with garbage after a super accept ! Please restore the old method.

Why can't he?
1N - 2 (xfer to spades) - 3 (superaccept with heart shortness) - 3 (signoff)

#87 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-June-12, 22:06

When super-accepting a Jacoby transfer, GIB will show a doubleton in the transfer suit naturally, rather than jumping to 3 of the trump suit.

Was there a forum discussion of this? Or was it a frequent request? Or did someone just get a wild hair?

#88 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 06:48

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-June-12, 22:06, said:

When super-accepting a Jacoby transfer, GIB will show a doubleton in the transfer suit naturally, rather than jumping to 3 of the trump suit.

Was there a forum discussion of this? Or was it a frequent request? Or did someone just get a wild hair?

Bbradley62,I agree with you completely since that is just a fact all of us know.

Today I know the Gib developers will hate me very much for sure if I can make some true comments on this upgraded version.
However I think shielding faults is immoral.

As we know,Yellows Georgi,he has been leading this forum in the past of several years in fact,the time of his last reply is April 20th or so,then Georgi never say nothing about our reports.
What's going on? We don't know the reason,but we can make a basic guess that actually Gib might encounter some difficulties,even no way to be upgraded ! really?
Here I will provide the relevant evidence of my research.

A new version of GIB is is here! We call this Version 34.
Changes:
When super-accepting a Jacoby transfer, GIB will show a doubleton in the transfer suit naturally, rather than jumping to 3 of the trump suit. Also, responder will re-transfer to the suit on the 4 level if there is no room on the 3 level. For example, 1NT - 2♥ - 3♥ - 4♥ is now a re-transfer to spades.

Strangely,it is Dianna_eve to make this release of information on this upgraded,and I can bet she really don't know what she said.
Actually about the superaccept issue after Jacoby transfer,the developer just made a random change, is not real to upgrade.Now I am very easy to make a classic example on Gib CC at below.

1nt---2
3x
3x indicate 3,3,3 and 3 respectively.their exact meanings of Gib CC are :

3 = superaccept:doubleton,support-- 2,2-5,2-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs
3 = superaccept:doubleton,support-- 2-5,2,2-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs
3 = superaccept:doubleton,support-- 2-5,2-5,2,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs
3 = superaccept;-- 2-4;2-4,2-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs.

How imprecise their definitions are ! Let's make a logical analysis.

3 = superaccept:doubleton,support-- 2,2-5,2-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs
It seems likely its explanation are correct,but there is a issue.
If is 4 card,4252 shape,on Gib system,is it allowed for opener to open strong 1nt with 4252 shape?
If is 5 card,5422 shape,especially 5-4 ,on Gib system,is it allowed for opener to open strong 1nt with 5422 shape?
I don't know,would the Gib developer tell us? Obviously this is a very important issue which is not yet clarified.

3 = superaccept:doubleton,support-- 2-5,2,2-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs
Obviously,the explanations are incorrect.
2-5? 2-card is impossible and illogic.its correct explanation should be superaccept:doubleton,support-- 3-5,2,2-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs.
(If assume strong 1nt can include 5-4 distribution in any major and a minor.)

3 = superaccept:doubleton,support-- 2-5,2-5,2,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs
Obviously,same faults.
If superaccept is 3 - doubleton of H,both of 2-card or 2-card are impossible.
The correct explanations are superaccept:doubleton,support-- 3-5C,3-5D,2H,4-5S,17hcp,18-TPs.
(If assume strong 1nt can include 5-4 distribution in any major and a minor.)

3 = superaccept;-- 2-4;2-4,2-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs.
Obviously,this is a rediculous definition.There are two issues did not take into account
1- If 3 is a superaccept bid,2-card ,2-card or 2-card are impossible.
So maybe you want to say 3S = superaccept;-- 3-4;3-4,3-4,4-5,17hcp,18-TPs.
Not good,It should not include 4333 with 17hcp.
2-This is not real superaccept,how about 4-5S with 15-16hcp?called it quits?

#89 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 09:13

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-June-12, 22:00, said:

Why can't he?
1N - 2 (xfer to spades) - 3 (superaccept with heart shortness) - 3 (signoff)

The contract is wrong sided ! Last method was better for the contract was right sided !

#90 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-June-13, 10:22

View Postbaraka, on 2015-June-13, 09:13, said:

The contract is wrong sided ! Last method was better for the contract was right sided !
Understood. I was just correcting your inaccurate statement that responder can't stop in 3. Before evaluating whether this is an improvement or not, it would be nice to hear an answer to Antrax's question above.

#91 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-June-13, 10:25

View Postlycier, on 2015-June-13, 06:48, said:

Strangely,it is Dianna_eve to make this release of information on this upgraded,and I can bet she really don't know what she said.

There's nothing strange about this. Diana was simply doing Forum readers a favor by copying the information from the "BBO Today" section on the website to here, so we can keep all of the similar information together. She is not responsible for the content. (Note that I have done this several times, and I have nothing to do with GIB's development.)

#92 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-June-14, 07:25

GIB used to miscount losers in response to blackwood, causing overbidding such as grand slams off the queen of trumps or even off a keycard. That will no longer happen.

Bug not fixed see link to forum post below

http://bridgebase.co...wn-cashing-ace/
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#93 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 11:13

And here is an other one that's never been fixed...

Can anyone push GIB any harder to bid 3NT with Diamond stoppers ? No ! Yet he bids 4D instead of 3NT. What is the use of that 4D bid when 3NT is bypassed ? Am I to bid 4NT to play? GEEZZZ !?!?!?!?

#94 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 11:28

And again...

My 2nd bid is pass signaling minimum. So, when I bid 2D GIB should realise I'm just competing. What's the point of bidding 2NT ? Why not pass or bid 3D ? He's got 4 of them and knows I'm gonna be short clubs and he has no C stoppers ?!?!?! Exactly the opposite of the previous hand. You want him to bid NT, he does'nt ! You dont want him to bid NT, he does !

#95 User is offline   baraka 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-16, 05:35

View PostAntrax, on 2015-June-11, 22:06, said:

So what is 1NT-2; 3 now?

From what I've seen yesterday, 3H is still super-accept with doubleton D.

#96 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-June-16, 06:28

I suppose it is an improvement. If you have a doubleton Diamond and exceptionally as opener you judge that 3H would be better declared by responder (if too weak for game) then at least now you get a choice. Quite extraordinary prioritisation of resources to put that in place, it seems to me.And I wonder how GIB would choose between 3D and 3H when opener and faced with the transfer.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#97 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-16, 11:20

View Postbaraka, on 2015-June-16, 05:35, said:

From what I've seen yesterday, 3H is still super-accept with doubleton D.

I just checked. The description is:

Superaccept; -- 2-4 ; 2-4 ; 4-5 ; 2-4 ; 17 HCP; 18- total points

It's still a super-accept, but doesn't show any specific distribution of the other suits.

#98 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-June-16, 12:27

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-16, 11:20, said:

I just checked. The description is:

Superaccept; -- 2-4 ; 2-4 ; 4-5 ; 2-4 ; 17 HCP; 18- total points

It's still a super-accept, but doesn't show any specific distribution of the other suits.

My interest-level is being challenged, but is there any clue about when *GIB* would bid 3H in preference to the various other transfer breaks?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#99 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-16, 12:30

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-June-16, 12:27, said:

My interest-level is being challenged, but is there any clue about when *GIB* would bid 3H in preference to the various other transfer breaks?

Never, it will always show its doubleton, but if the human bids 3H it will just understand it as no distributional message about the outside suits in particular. This was just an attempt at simplification since some users weren't understanding the substitution principle.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#100 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-16, 12:32

View Postbaraka, on 2015-June-11, 20:52, said:

Responder can stop in 3, he just can't have opener declare if he wants to stop in 3 and opener has specifically the highest doubleton. It's (arguably) worse technically, but more easily understood by all the users. Please understand that GIB has to bid in a way that bridge players of all level can enjoy using, which means not always playing a system that may be technically perfect.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users