BBO Discussion Forums: 2014 European Team Championships - Open Series systems - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2014 European Team Championships - Open Series systems

#1 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-03, 08:42

I have created a spreadsheet covering the systems in use for the Open Series of the 2014 European Team Championships. It shows which systems and opening 2-level bids are popular.

You do not need a Google account to access the document: https://docs.google....T2c&usp=sharing

There are 108 systems, 41 of which are 5-card majors with a short one club opener, 28 5-card majors with better minor, 20 strong club and 12 multi-way clubs (eg Polish).

The Multi 2 is still used by more than 50% of the partnerships with 33 having a strong option in the multi and 24 not.

There are three Brown Sticker conventions and I think that two of the pairs do not even appreciate that they are actually playing one! The popularity of BS conventions continues to dwindle into obscurity.

Cheers

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 20:19

2nt as a preemptive minor being brown sticker feels odd.

Reverse Flannery for a 2 opener seems like a very odd convention too.

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-04, 00:42

Reverse Flannery is used by canape pairs, usually alongside a Strong Club like Precision - it solves a few issues for them when you aren't bidding your longest suit most of the time. However, I would take it a step further and also include 6-4 hands where the Spades aren't great, and possibly some 5-5 hands as well. Their CC is interesting - it looks like Blue Team Club mixed in with some Precision responses.

Paul, that overview is some amazing work you did, bravo mate!
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-04, 00:44

Missing this time is BBO'er petepunt and his 2 opener showing a 3 pre-empt.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-04, 00:51

View Postchasetb, on 2014-June-04, 00:42, said:

Reverse Flannery is used by canape pairs, usually alongside a Strong Club like Precision. Paul, that's some amazing work you did, bravo mate!

It is the Austrians, Fucik-Purkarthofer, coincidently the FIRST pair I did ) As suggested I think they may be playing Danube Club, the popular version of Blue Club in Austria, although not with Bamberger Twos.
The Beer Card

#6 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2014-June-04, 01:16

What about the 3NT openings? I'm not asking you to redo the whole thing, but maybe you remember some general trends?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#7 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-04, 02:11

View Postgwnn, on 2014-June-04, 01:16, said:

What about the 3NT openings? I'm not asking you to redo the whole thing, but maybe you remember some general trends?

Sorry, didn't register at all! Perhaps I'll include it next time.
The Beer Card

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-June-04, 03:11

I'll summarise later but at the moment, here are the pairs that don't play gambling 3NT:

Belgium
Boeken-Neve: bad 7-8 minor 1/2, "to play" 3/4

Bulgaria
Mihov-Stefanov: random WK preempt in m 1/2, "to play" 3/4
Nanev-Gunev: 7+ minor preempt.

Denmark
Konow-Askgaard: 3/4 "to play"

England
Forrester-Gold: good 4M opening
Forrester-Robson: idem
Gold-Bakhshi: idem
Hackett^2: solid M 1/2, "to play" 3/4

Estonia
Karpov-Laanemae: gambling in any suit
Sester-Levenko: idem
Oja-Maripuu: maybe also? (the other two also name it gambling but O-M have no explanation)

Finland
Fagerlund-Karhulahti: strong 4M opening
Koistinen-Nyberg: preempt in minor, "to play" 4th
Patana-Granstrom: 4m preempt

France
Bompis-Quantin: good 4M opening
Levy-Volcker: bad minor

Germany
Auken-Welland: 4M opening to be played from other side
Fritsche-Rohowsky: Gambling 1/2, (to play 3/4?)
Smirnov-Piekarek: Gambling 1/2/3, "to play" 4th

Greece
Angelopooulos-Zozis: both minors

Hungary
Szegedi-Hegedus: "to play" 3/4 (based on long suit)

Ireland
Carroll-Garvey: 4m preempt
Hanlon-McGann: 4m preempt 1/2, "to play" 3/4

Italy
Lauria-Versave-etc: preempt in minor

Latvia
Jansons-Rubenis: minor preemptive (8 cards)

Lithuania
Vainikonis-Arlovich: solid H or S

Monaco
Fantunes: ???

Netherlands
Van Prooijen-Verhees: 3/4 "to play"

Norway
Charlsen-Hoftaniska: gambling major

Poland
Balicki-Zmudzinski: gambling any suit
Kalita-Nowosadzki: 3/4 "to [play?]"

Romania
Coldea-Marina: good preempt in H/S

Scotland
Ash-Morgan: 4m preempt
Wilkinson-Stephens: good 4M bid

Spain
Fractman-Carrasco: club preempt (3S gambling!)

Sweden
Bertheau-Cullin: solid 7+M
Nystrom-Upmark: idem
Wrang-Sylvan: solid 7+M 1/2, "to play" 3/4

Wales
Kurbalija^2: Solid M, 6+ cards
Kurbalija-Shields: long solid M
Pownall-Plackett: 4m preempt 1/2/3. "to play" 4, usually long m

"To play" comes up a lot in 3/4th seat, but so does "Gambling but can have outside stops", I suspect for some pairs the two will be indistinguishable.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2014-June-08, 05:32

I added a column and a sheet now for 3NT openings.

In 1/2 seats, you have:
Gambling 74
good 4M opening 15
minor preempt 12
Gambling any suit 4
4M opening right-siding 1
both minors 1
club preempt 1

12 pairs say they use "to play" in 3/4 or 4th seats.

I put "solid 7M," "solid 6+M," and "gambling M" in the same category as a good 4M opening. Auken-Welland specifically explain that their 3NT opening is there to right-side so I guess it can be the same strength as a 4M opening.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-10, 15:10

A quite surprising to see Mr Welland in German Team Open. It seems the EBL handle such things less restrictive as to the times when B-Z unsuccessful tried to move to the Russian team.
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#11 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-10, 15:34

View PostAberlour10, on 2014-June-10, 15:10, said:

A quite surprising to see Mr Welland in German Team Open. It seems the EBL handle such things less restrictive as to the times when B-Z unsuccessful tried to move to the Russian team.

The regulations have changed at both the EBL and WBF in the last two years, but the requirement to show that you have a bona fide residence in the country has not.
The Beer Card

#12 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-10, 15:59

View Postpaulg, on 2014-June-10, 15:34, said:

The regulations have changed at both the EBL and WBF in the last two years, but the requirement to show that you have a bona fide residence in the country has not.

Thanks Paul.

I took a look to the current EBL bona-fide-residence regulations. Now, there is nothing about the evidence of the "real" residence in the "new country", the main reason the change of B-Z has been failed. To get these german documents ( nowdays requiered) is for the US citiziens a piece of cake here.

The following criteria will apply for those players seeking reliance upon the Bona Fide Residency Re­quire­ment:

• the player must establish bona fide residence in the country that they seek to represent for at least two years prior to the start of the year within which they wish to participate; and
  • the player must have a visa or permit that allows them to remain in that country for a period of at least one year; or
  • the laws of that country allow the player to remain in that country for a period of at least one year

Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#13 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-10, 16:16

There should not be any need to specify evidence in the regulations. Whether somebody is a bone fide resident should be a matter of fact; the important thing is to have a clear definition of what is meant by 'bone fide resident'. Of course, if that person's residence status is doubted then people can look at the evidence then.

#14 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-11, 03:50

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-10, 16:16, said:

There should not be any need to specify evidence in the regulations. Whether somebody is a bone fide resident should be a matter of fact; the important thing is to have a clear definition of what is meant by 'bone fide resident'. Of course, if that person's residence status is doubted then people can look at the evidence then.

It was all looked at by the FIFA credentials committee, which deemed everything to be fine. B-)

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-June-11, 04:45

View PostPhilKing, on 2014-June-11, 03:50, said:

It was all looked at by the FIFA credentials committee, which deemed everything to be fine. B-)

I contend this is the skeleton of a deceased member of said committee http://www.woodcentr...32/432958_1.jpg

#16 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2014-June-12, 05:41

View PostAberlour10, on 2014-June-10, 15:59, said:

Thanks Paul.

I took a look to the current EBL bona-fide-residence regulations. Now, there is nothing about the evidence of the "real" residence in the "new country", the main reason the change of B-Z has been failed. To get these german documents ( nowdays requiered) is for the US citiziens a piece of cake here.

Did you see this part:
Residence may be established and supported by the production documents from at least three of the following categories:

• Voter’s registration
  • Driver's licence
  • Local or national tax records
  • Homeowner or tenant records
  • Medical records
  • Utility bills (gas, electric, water, telephone, mobile phone, waste disposal)
  • Financial records (loan, credit, investments, etc)
  • Welfare records
  • Vehicle records
  • Such other documents that may demostrate residence
In addition, players who seek to rely upon the Bona Fide Residence Requirement must submit a written application that contains the following information:

• Details of their previous country of residence and the date on which they relocated to the pre­sent residence;
  • If they represented their previous country in any international championships, the dates and detail of any such representation;
  • A signed statement that they are a Bona Fide Resident of the country which they now seek to represent
If the Credential’s Committee is not satisfied with the documents submitted it may require further proof and/or information.

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#17 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-21, 16:31

I see that they are now playing 3 x 16 board sets per day rather than 3 x 20 board sets. Why the change? With most countries entering a team of 6, many pairs were playing 40 boards under the old arrangement, now reduced to 32.

#18 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-22, 00:43

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-21, 16:31, said:

I see that they are now playing 3 x 16 board sets per day rather than 3 x 20 board sets. Why the change? With most countries entering a team of 6, many pairs were playing 40 boards under the old arrangement, now reduced to 32.

I presume that they are just following the WBF who seems to think that this is all the top players can manage. I see that the ACBL is reducing the Spingold and Vanderbilt to 60-board matches next year instead of 64, presumably thinking that two fewer boards in the evening session will prevent the late finishes. I wonder how long the EBU will maintain 20-board matches in the Premier League?

To be fair to the EBL, this may all be part of a plan to reduce the length of the tournament to seven or eight days.
The Beer Card

#19 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-22, 16:47

View Postpaulg, on 2014-June-22, 00:43, said:

To be fair to the EBL, this may all be part of a plan to reduce the length of the tournament to seven or eight days.

That can't be it, because they are still only playing 3 matches per day. If they changed from three 20 board matches to four 16 board matches I would understand.

In fact they have found a way to increase the length of the tournamen:, by introducing a rest day, (just what you need when you have been slaving away for a full 32 boards per day).

#20 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2014-June-23, 01:24

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-22, 16:47, said:

View Postpaulg, on 2014-June-22, 00:43, said:

That can't be it, because they are still only playing 3 matches per day. If they changed from three 20 board matches to four 16 board matches I would understand.

In fact they have found a way to increase the length of the tournament, by introducing a rest day, (just what you need when you have been slaving away for a full 32 boards per day).

I had the impression that the EBL was unable to make substantial changes to this year's format due to commercial constraints and contracts already in place, so the length was fixed which is why the youthful Seniors slave away day after day while the elderly Open and Women have rest days. I'm sure the EBL's desire to have everyone (or as many as possible) at the opening and closing ceremonies is high on their list of priorities, if not the players'.

It would make a lot more sense to have four 16-board matches a day.
The Beer Card

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users