BBO Discussion Forums: 2014 European Team Championships - Open Series systems - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2014 European Team Championships - Open Series systems

#21 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-23, 04:53

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-10, 16:16, said:

There should not be any need to specify evidence in the regulations. Whether somebody is a bone fide resident should be a matter of fact; the important thing is to have a clear definition of what is meant by 'bone fide resident'. Of course, if that person's residence status is doubted then people can look at the evidence then.

Let me guess: you are closer to being a mathematician than to being a lawyer :P
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#22 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-23, 05:02

View Postjallerton, on 2014-June-10, 16:16, said:

There should not be any need to specify evidence in the regulations. Whether somebody is a bone fide resident should be a matter of fact; the important thing is to have a clear definition of what is meant by 'bone fide resident'. Of course, if that person's residence status is doubted then people can look at the evidence then.

I suppose you have something in mind like "stayed in the country for at least n of the last N days". Problem is, this is often impossible to (dis)prove. You could then require somebody being a tax-purpose resident for n of the last N days. Not sure if that is waterproof. But I think the ECBL wants to be a bid flexible towards players have ties with more than one country and for whatever reason prefer to play for a coutry which is not the one they have the strongest ties with.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#23 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-June-23, 05:13

Home... home is where you wear your hat...
I feel so breakup, I wanna go home.

Lord John Whorfin
Alderaan delenda est

#24 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-23, 09:56

Would like to test out my pet two-way pass in these championships. Two pairs use similar methods (carrot club). Maybe next time :)

#25 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-July-01, 15:03

I am pretty shocked that the Netherlands and Sweden didn't qualify for the Bermuda Bowl. The turmoil in Italy clearly contributed to them not qualifying as well. It'll be crazy not to see Italy next year on Vugraph :(
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#26 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-02, 06:23

View Postchasetb, on 2014-July-01, 15:03, said:

It'll be crazy not to see Italy next year on Vugraph :(

Yes, despite the fact that I am not Italian and have no connections to the country, I am a little saddened by what appears to be going on there. First they manage to lose 2 of their best players to Monaco and then they contrive to not send their best remaining team. Epic fail to really nobody's long term advantage - except maybe the winners of the next BB.

Perhaps team Lavazza will emigrate to somewhere else - like Argentina or something.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#27 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-02, 06:32

View PostNickRW, on 2014-July-02, 06:23, said:

Yes, despite the fact that I am not Italian and have no connections to the country, I am a little saddened by what appears to be going on there.

I am far more phlegmatic. NBOs basically have two options: they can select the team or they can have trials. Both options have pros and cons. Both were used by different countries and I suspect the only consensus is that few teams sent their best six :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#28 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-July-03, 03:54

View Postpaulg, on 2014-July-02, 06:32, said:

I am far more phlegmatic. NBOs basically have two options: they can select the team or they can have trials. Both options have pros and cons. Both were used by different countries and I suspect the only consensus is that few teams sent their best six :)

It would not at all surprise me if Monaco sent their best six. :)

#29 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2014-July-06, 20:39

Welland now plays for Germany not the USA in team trials...wow

#30 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-September-10, 00:13

View Postpaulg, on 2014-June-03, 08:42, said:

The Multi 2 is still used by more than 50% of the partnerships with 33 having a strong option in the multi and 24 not.

Of the 57 pairs playing multi, 9 are playing it in conjunction with constructive weak twos. All nine of those include a strong option in their multi! This is somewhat bizarre IMO - given the junk that gets opened a multi 1st NV in these methods, being able to pass 2D is pretty huge.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users