• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-June-02, 12:33

Is BBO blocking BBO skill updates?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-02, 13:07

I suspect that they have better things to do with their time. Even if they felt so inclined. But I doubt that they would have the motivation, even if it required the expenditure of a scintilla of effort. Why block an irrelevancy?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   bezalel 

• Pip

Posted 2014-June-02, 14:03

View Post1eyedjack, on 2014-June-02, 13:07, said:

I suspect that they have better things to do with their time. Even if they felt so inclined. But I doubt that they would have the motivation, even if it required the expenditure of a scintilla of effort. Why block an irrelevancy?

I mentioned the possibility because a year or two ago, they did block bboskill...it was querying the BBO database so often that it was slowing things down for BBO. This was mentioned in an older post.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-02, 14:45

ah ty

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-04, 06:45

I was just looking at BBOSkill site and I have to say that I don't understand some of the blurb.

From their FAQ link

http://bboskill.com/how_we_do_it.php

"Every time you make request we keep data and through the time skill level and rating will be more accurate."

And from their What's New link

http://bboskill.com/whatsnew.php

"Every next request you make (or system makes for you) is added to previous score, making your average score more precise"

It may be that English is not their first language, but I find it passing strange that my skill is a function of the frequency with which I interrogate the site, rather than (say) the result of the hands that I play on BBO.

But if the system inherently encourages you to make multiple requests then I can sort of understand how BBO might be justified in throttling it.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-June-04, 09:24

Suppose you're a good player, and you usually do well. But you have a bad session one day, and that's when you first go to bboskill. They'll base your rating on those recent results, which will be low. You need to go again after some good results to get your average closer to your true assessment. If you keep going back, they'll add more and more results, and the rating will become more accurate.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-04, 09:31

I think they started with "all" the data at some point, but then it became harder to get, so they now only get data when queried. If that's the case, established players aren't starting from nothing, they're starting from whatever that "method switching" point is. But, it does appear to me that the stats haven't been updating recently.

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-04, 09:46

The trouble with that Barry is that if I am a bad player that plays cocasionally and only go to bboskill after a good session I can atrificially inflate my rating. Each additional request reinforces the innaccuracy and will in many cases make the rating more inaccurate.

Of course there are no bad players using bboskill. Almost everyone I know (except Han) is Advanced or better. That is despite the fact that almost everyone I know is intermediate by the BBO definitions.

Jack, a while back bboskill initiated polling for players from the BBO database. That was what led to it being blocked. The agreement now is that bboskill will only request hand records when a player specifically requests a rating. They keep all hands obtained from polling in their database. The trouble is that they do not nearly have enough cross-sampling to adjust ratings accurately so beating up beginners will score you many more points than scoring 50% against experts, even when the latter is considerably harder.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-June-04, 12:46

Gods, I hope they never cripple Double Dummy Solver like that.

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2014-June-04, 16:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-June-04, 09:46, said:

Of course there are no bad players using bboskill. Almost everyone I know (except Han) is Advanced or better. That is despite the fact that almost everyone I know is intermediate by the BBO definitions.

The players in free Robot dupes have a much broader bboskill spectrum than that, including some correctly rated as Beginners.

#11 User is offline   ericol 

• Pip

Posted 2015-February-20, 02:10

Hello,

Can you update my score on BBOSKILL, you would be pleasant.

Cordially

Ericol ( pseudo bbo )

Olivier DUFOUR

#12 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-20, 04:43

Eric, as has been pointed out many times, bboskill has nothing todo with bridgebase.com whatsoever so the staff here cannot provide you with such an update. My suggestion to you is to forget about bboskill and start tracking your scores directly from BBO using the Hand Record page.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users