BBO Discussion Forums: Plan for preempting - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plan for preempting

Poll: Plan for preempting (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your plan?

1. Open 4H (9 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Open 3H (19 votes [57.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.58%

3. Open 2H, show A after 2NT feature-ask (2 votes [6.06%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

4. Open 2H, do not show A after 2NT feature-ask (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Pass in first seat (3 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-01, 09:38

Playing vanilla 2/1

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-June-01, 09:54

I'd open 4H in most partnerships, but I am constrained by requirements for a decent suit (or extra length at least) with other partners, so with those I'd pass. I wouldn't do anything in between.

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-01, 11:42

This would be a 3H opening for my regular partnership. Suit is crap but has texture, and the nice shape makes up for it.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-June-01, 13:37

3-4>pass>2
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-02, 15:17

Not sure if I would open 3 or 4s but I am definitely not opening with a weak 2 bid.

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-02, 17:06

Another vote for "3 or 4, according to circumstances".

Not 2H for heaven's sake. Pard can never expect such a shapely hand.

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 01:16

I would never think of opening such a hand with a weak two.

The way I play, 3 or 4 only promise lots of hearts. 2 promises less hearts, but they are supposed to be decent hearts: 3 or more honors and typically not QJTxxx. Extra length does not compensate for honor strength, it makes a 3 or 4 level preempt.

The reason is that after 2, it is still possible to have a constructive auction, and you want partner to be able to count on you for something. After 3 or 4, there is no room for constructive stuff. You have just thrown all the cards in the air, and let everybody else (particularly the opponents, but inevitable also partner) guess what to do. You have little reason to be reliable in that case.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 01:17

Normal playing strength for 3 . Not a very disciplined preemt. Might pass in second seat or if vulnerable.
I wouldn't criticise 4 . It is obviously a question of style. 2 would be a strange style though
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 01:26

Rik that doesn't sound logical. Adter 2he p can ask specifically for suit quality if you play ogust. So 2h can cover more ground. This hand is a bad example because it has many flaws. But a hand with a single major flaw which can be shown would be good for a weak 2
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 02:58

View Posthelene_t, on 2014-June-03, 01:26, said:

Rik that doesn't sound logical. Adter 2he p can ask specifically for suit quality if you play ogust. So 2h can cover more ground. This hand is a bad example because it has many flaws. But a hand with a single major flaw which can be shown would be good for a weak 2

Yes, 2 can cover more ground... because 3/4 cannot cover any ground at all. There is no ask after 3/4. Tactically a 3/4 level preempt is completely different from a weak two. After a weak two, there still is some constructive bidding. This is absent after a 3/4 level preempt.

After 2 partner can ask. But this means that you need to have a workable range to fit your answers. With Ogust, you can differentiate between something like:
  • AKJTxx + nothing (max, good suit)
  • KJTxxx + an ace (max, poor suit)
  • KQJxxx + nothing (min, good suit)
  • QJTxxx + a king (min, poor suit)

These replies are not only used to determine what level we should be playing on, but also what strain (major or NT). As an example, often with a balanced hand, you want to play in 3NT opposite a good suit and a fitting honor in your hand. Opposite a bad suit, you want to be in 4M (since you cannot run the suit).

JTxxxxx does not belong in any of these categories. It is a relatively good suit for a trump contract (the opponents have one less trump than expected), but a very bad suit for a NT contract.

After 3/4 there is no asking, only guessing. (This is the goal of a preempt: to turn the hand into a guessing game where you hope the opponents will guess wrong.) This means that 3/4 level preempts are less disciplined than weak twos.

So, after a 3/4 level preempt, all constructive bidding went out of the window. After a weak two, there is room for constructive bidding, but not much. To be able to unravel the possible hands, we have to limit the hand types for a weak two somewhat. This means that a weak two bid is more disciplined than a 3/4 level preempt.

Having said all that, this doesn't mean that I have never opened a weak two on QJ9xxx and an outside A/K, or even on QJ9xxx without anything. But I try to keep my weak twos somewhat reliable. I don't have that aim at all with 3/4 level preempts.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 03:30

To me this is a normal 3 opening. If preempting aggressively you might choose 4. I would not agree to a style where this hand is expected to open 2 or pass.

If vulnerable I would still open 3 but it is closer and I'd prefer 2 if the ten of hearts was a small one. The only distinction I draw between a two and three level opening is based on how many tricks I can take if doubled.

#12 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-June-03, 04:34

The hand can easily make 7 tricks on its own, but can hardly pull off more than 1 in defense. The ODR difference is too much for a weak two. You really need to open it 3H, if not 4H.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-June-03, 04:41

That's a new to me in BBF. A topic with none of the replies annoying me Posted Image (So far)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 04:55

Trucks are stupid

#15 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-03, 16:41

2 Red is reasonable- you want something unusual for an against situation either 11-12 with poor hearts and poor spades- good quality and you'd open 1 and or over length hearts. 3 or more is easy way to give your opponents a top. 2 gets your bid in and allows partner to go to game with strongly working strength.

#16 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-03, 18:55

First seat, I open this one 3 white v white, 4 red v white, pass red.

Change Q to x and its 4 white, 3 red v red, pass red v white.

Exchange Q with x, and its 3 red v white and 4 otherwise.

Second seat, 3 white v red, pass otherwise with the given hand.

Third seat, I never even think of not bidding 4.

Forth seat, I pass it out.

I never consider 2 in any circumstances.

I do not claim these answers are "correct", but my best estimate of how I'd bid in absence of an agreement on a different style.

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-04, 04:53

7-4 with hearts -----> open 4 on any excuse.

Non-vulnerable first seat is more than enough.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#18 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-04, 05:57

View Postcherdano, on 2014-June-04, 04:53, said:

7-4 with hearts -----> open 4 on any excuse.

Non-vulnerable first seat is more than enough.

It is very noticeable from my files that the leading Dutch players open 4 more than any other nation. I am fairly sure this is a winning policy.

Anyway, this looks like a clear 4 opening even at game all.

#19 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-04, 06:11

I'm finding this discussion very useful (I chose 4 more from bravado than forethought).

What if the 7-card suit was spades? i.e. JT98632 Q A954 2. What would be your choice of opening? Thanks...

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2014-June-07, 05:29

View PostAntrax, on 2014-June-03, 04:55, said:

Trucks are stupid

Posted Image

That statement is true and this is why they need a VERY smart man to drive them Posted Image

Or things things may get ugly

http://www.metacafe....nt_compilation/

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_lqPe_NEiXE

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users