BBO Discussion Forums: BBF vs JEC Saturday June 7 at 2PM EDT (8PM CET) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF vs JEC Saturday June 7 at 2PM EDT (8PM CET) Pls apply here if you'd like to play

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-30, 16:21

Please apply here if you'd like to play on June 7.

Regular pairs if possible. Regular BBFers are welcome to apply with a favourite partner who is not a member if they wish.

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-June-05, 17:15

I know you are looking for regular partnerships (with good reason) but
if perchance you have other single volunteers who want to play you can
count me in for this sat I look back here tomorrow to see the results.

Remember that we had almost 2 months with no JEC matches and those players
that had limited interest have probably quit looking:)))))))))))))))))))))

#3 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-05, 22:09

Gszes, I wouldn't put smiley faces on something that isn't humorous in any way. Also, a few people were run off by you when they posted here once or twice, but apparently needed to personally call your phone and possibly make a house call in order to play.

Diana, I would like to play, but I work every weekend and can't afford unpaid time off :(
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-06, 05:29

Well it would be nice to have a team this week, but I'm not a fan of taking 4 random non-BBFers and present them as BBF. Any chance we get a BBFer as partner for George and another pair pls?

If we keep cancelling it'll be better to give them their time slot back... There are many teams waiting in line for a chance to play JEC and it seems unfair to reserve a good time like Sat evening for a group that doesn't use it :(

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-06, 05:32

View Postchasetb, on 2014-June-05, 22:09, said:

Diana, I would like to play, but I work every weekend and can't afford unpaid time off :(

Sorry Chase, I remember you wanted to play these in the past. Hope your schedule will get friendlier sometime and you'll be able to play :)

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-06, 11:19

View Postchasetb, on 2014-June-05, 22:09, said:

Gszes, I wouldn't put smiley faces on something that isn't humorous in any way. Also, a few people were run off by you when they posted here once or twice, but apparently needed to personally call your phone and possibly make a house call in order to play.

do me a favor -- everything that was done by me is still archived here---find where
you felt I required people to "make a house call" or similar and post it here for all to see
(as a side benefit I will get to see what an ass I apparently have become)---FWIW the smiley face
was because I was trying to offer friendly advice as far as advertising not that there has
frequently been far too little interest among the posters to put their playing skills on the
line and find out that maybe just maybe they are not the worlds best:)and that by trying
harder and playing the top guns they may find ways to improve

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2014-June-06, 13:47

View Postgszes, on 2014-June-06, 11:19, said:

there has
frequently been far too little interest among the posters to put their playing skills on the
line and find out that maybe just maybe they are not the worlds best:)and that by trying

If you think that's why many BBF posters don't play then you are in a parallel universe.

#8 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-06, 18:36

View Postgszes, on 2014-June-06, 11:19, said:

do me a favor -- everything that was done by me is still archived here---find where
you felt I required people to "make a house call" or similar and post it here for all to see
(as a side benefit I will get to see what an ass I apparently have become)---FWIW the smiley face
was because I was trying to offer friendly advice as far as advertising not that there has

It did seem a little over the top that after I had taken time to confirm off line with my partner that we could play (because I didn't want to sign up and not be able to play), then I posted that I had a confirmed agreement that we both could play, but that we almost couldn't play because my partner didn't post to the thread. But overall I'm happy with the fact that we have the opportunity so if the interactions around signing up are bumpier than I'd like, c'est la via, it isn't why I haven't signed up. I've got plans many Saturday late mornings/early afternoon, there are a number of bridge sectionals here, and thus I can't play this week (nor last week, nor next week, nor most weeks in June and July).

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-07, 06:03

So this was canceled. Maybe next week? They seem pretty patient for the time being, but if there's no interest we can just drop the whole thing. Up to you really, not sure if everyone is just busy or the interest died completely for this type of games.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-07, 07:47

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2014-June-06, 13:47, said:

If you think that's why many BBF posters don't play then you are in a parallel universe.

About 35 "regular" posters ---answering questions posed by others -- another 15 that
regularly post hands or concepts of interest and there has been difficulty putting
teams together for over 2 years MGOETZE tired of the problems I tried to "inflame"
interest for many months and had to scramble last minute teams together over and
over and over again. It seems hugely improbable that players do not participate
because playing JEC is too easy and they are too bored with the idea of playing them
(those that have tried have a combined record that is now something like 2-120).

It seems like child's play (even in my parallel or perpendicular universe) to conclude
the main problem is fear rather than an inability to set aside 3 1/2 hours once in a
while on a Saturday doing something you (hopefully) enjoy. A pool of 50 players plus
any friends they have is a huge number and it borders on ridiculous to assume there are
always "scheduling" problems. Some have to work and that takes priority, some will have
injuries or become ill these are things that cannot be avoided (that's life).

DIANA_EVA is now trying and she seems to have enthusiasm for getting teams together.
Hey the JEC vs FORUM POSTER matches aren't going to usually make the headlines but I
have met many of my bridge friends because of comments they made after watching me play
in some of those matches (I even got a free pizza sent to me once). I even got the ultra
rare opportunity to play ON the JEC team once (against the posters) --I obviously didn't
shine since they have never offered again--and we still blew out the poster squad like
96-14 even with me weighing them down like an anchor. Where in the heck but online will
a player of my (lack of) stature get a chance to partner with some of the world's best????

Keep this line of communication open for future players even if it means playing once every
2 or 3 months and suffering with a unfamiliar partner if you cannot convince a friend to play.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-07, 08:39

I think they're just busy. I can't find 3.5 hours and coordinate with a regular partner, and I'm almost a housewife :) Can't imagine it's any easier for someone with a different type of job and family and perhaps interest in playing live rather than online, be it against JEC and Garozzo or not.

#12 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-June-07, 10:44

I've enjoyed the couple of times I've played in the JEC match :) and would gladly do it again, but I don't have a regular partner these days, and as I understand it the JEC folks prefer practiced partnerships.

At any rate, these recent weeks I have been much too busy to devote the time or I would likely volunteer to fill out a team if need be. But I'd prefer that BBF be represented by established pairs.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users