BBO Discussion Forums: Textbook situation - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Textbook situation

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-30, 03:24

I thought I'll share this instructive deal. The bidding was simple, and the play to the first four tricks is shown (Click NEXT to see the play so far).

There are layouts where it is impossible to score 10 tricks. So my focus was 10 tricks whenever possible. What is my best line? What assumptions do we have to make? If it helps
Spoiler

I couldn't decide if this should be posted in Int/Adv or here. I think adv or better will find it too easy. In our match, both tables scored 4-1 for a push.
ADV/EXP, please hide your responses using "spoiler" option

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-30, 03:43

Should we not have eliminated the clubs first and then exited to the last trump? Maybe their next red suit lead helps us.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-May-30, 05:13

maybe ruff a club, K diamonds chucking heart ruff a diamond and exit a spade?

and hope for the best in hearts which i guess is ducking if they exit an honour and playing for KQ tight if they don't?

obv if they don't exit a heart we get a ruff/discard :)

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-30, 05:13

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-May-30, 03:43, said:

Should we not have eliminated the clubs first and then exited to the last trump? Maybe their next red suit lead helps us.

I thought the club elimination followed by trump exit wasn't best -- I'm happy to be told it was a superior line.
In any case, on this deal it didn't work.
Spoiler

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-May-30, 06:12

Spoiler

Edit:- actually this might be slightly coloured by knowing who holds the clubs, it might be more flexible to start as you do.

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-30, 09:33

Interesting problem. I think it is misplaced in this forum, but maybe I am overlooking something. It looks like just trick one was given, I would have won the first club in dummy so as to lead a diamond from dummy (south) at trick two, so I will change where the first trick is won in my answer.

Spoiler

--Ben--

#7 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-31, 04:43

If someone can tell me how to implement a Spoiler I will do so. Cant see it on the editor :(.

I agree with Ben, i think it is misplaced in this forum, simply because it is not that easy a problem and requires to make certain assumptions about card placements maybe beyond the ken of a beginner/intermediate, at least that is my feeling.

Going through the hand i agree with Ben. I am winning the first club in dummy to play a immediately. I certainly want to clear up the position straightaway and clear the ground for an elimination. As seen in the movie West wins. Would be hard for him to duck if he did have the Ace, as no loss of a diamond trick, by ruffing them in dummy, may see declarer home - irrespective of the holdings.

As it is known that the A of is with West, not going to go through the analysis when it is not, although fairly similar and same assumptions apply.

The key assumption now is the holdings. I am playing for East to hold honour x in , more likely than stiff or KQ tight. Alternatively, stiff and Hx in . For 2 reasons: it is a legitimate play if East has a stiff !S and Hx in . Also, if he has 2 and H x in he has to have the foresight of unblocking his honour, otherwise he will be endplayed.

IF West exits with a or winning, cashing A of eliminating and and A of and exiting . If he exits , winning the A and proceeding as before.

We are playing for an ending where West has Hxx in and East down to stiff honour, with declarer having no cards in the side suits, and West on lead. East could not profitably uunblock his honour. If West cashes his honour he sets up Souths J, if he plays a low East is endplayed, and a minor suit card gives declarer a discard of a losing , whilst ruffing in dummy.

If East had 2 and a singleton he has to furnish declarer with a ruff and sluff immediately. If he had 2 and Hx in and unblocked his honour, time to put him on your Friends List to ask him for a game later.
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#8 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-31, 04:49

This looks an unlikely contract to make but opps could play it wrong. After the first 4 tricks you know you have lost a trump and the Ad so you need to lose only one heart trick - not easy unless the opps help. I agree to eliminate the clubs and then exit with a trump and now opps have to lead a red suit. If diamonds are played I would try the J as 50% seems my best bet. Maybe even better than 50% as if W did not have the Qd would he have played the A on tghe first round? Hope fully W has the last trump and if a heart is played i would duck in dummy and hope!

View Postshyams, on 2014-May-30, 03:24, said:

I thought I'll share this instructive deal. The bidding was simple, and the play to the first four tricks is shown (Click NEXT to see the play so far).

There are layouts where it is impossible to score 10 tricks. So my focus was 10 tricks whenever possible. What is my best line? What assumptions do we have to make? If it helps
Spoiler

I couldn't decide if this should be posted in Int/Adv or here. I think adv or better will find it too easy. In our match, both tables scored 4-1 for a push.
ADV/EXP, please hide your responses using "spoiler" option

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-31, 07:46

Extrapolating from other code:
Spoiler

Yep, that works.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-31, 16:49

Both inquiry and slothy made a useful point about winning the opening lead in South hand and immediately leading the singleton. That line is significantly superior in that it stops opponents from cashing a spade winner prematurely.

The full hand is hidden below
Spoiler

The "textbook situation" I alluded to was that North should play the A right away to reduce the chance for opponent to unblock. On the actual layout, the contract was 100% assured once the second club was returned. Even an unblock does not help.

Instead, if the layout was
Spoiler
... and declarer plays as shown (click NEXT all the way), East is much more likely to find the right play of chucking the Q under North's A.

IMO, playing for one opponent to hold KQx is worse because we don't have any intermediate cards in hearts. It may have been a legitimate option if dummy began with J1085.

Edit: The GIB button is a useful feature to show what works and what doesn't. I use it often to find what I did wrong!

#11 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-31, 16:54

Spoiler

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-May-31, 17:29

deleted, you made the point the line of play on the hand was inaccurate without changing the cards played.

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-May-31, 19:07

View Postshyams, on 2014-May-31, 16:49, said:

Edit: The GIB button is a useful feature to show what works and what doesn't. I use it often to find what I did wrong!

So I pushed on the GIB button. I saw a bunch of "1s" and some equal signs. What is this telling me?
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-June-01, 01:02

View Postblackshoe, on 2014-May-31, 19:07, said:

View Postshyams, on 2014-May-31, 16:49, said:

So I pushed on the GIB button. I saw a bunch of "1s" and some equal signs. What is this telling me?

The colour of the numbers matters as well -- red numbers are undertricks, green ones are overtricks, and green equal sign is "contract makes". The red "1s" indicate that if the card is played, the double dummy outcome is down 1.

#15 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2014-June-02, 14:56

View Postshyams, on 2014-June-01, 01:02, said:

The colour of the numbers matters as well -- red numbers are undertricks, green ones are overtricks, and green equal sign is "contract makes". The red "1s" indicate that if the card is played, the double dummy outcome is down 1.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
--------------------

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users