BBO Discussion Forums: How many spades? 1st seat white vs red - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many spades? 1st seat white vs red JEC vs BBF Bd 9, May 24, 2014

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-25, 09:33

1st seat, white vs red. What would you open here?

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-May-25, 09:46

I'd be tempted to open 4S but idk it's probably too much.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-25, 12:01

I am tempted to open any spade level but 3. Let me explain.

First this is rule of 20 opening 1 bid, so a possible 1 opening bid is available (for Zar point counters, it is 29, needing only 25 to open at the one level with spades). If I was vulnerable, I would not open it 1, but would open it 2.

Being not vul, I look at the heart suit and think I have no real defense against a heart contract, so preempt does twist around in my head as a possibility. But opening 3 is wrong in the current situation for several reasons. First I am not so weak to guarantee it is 2/3 likely to my opponents hand. When I preempt first seat not vul, I am usually very weak. Constructive bidding will be difficult if your first seat non-vul can be as weak as say KJT9xx xx JTxx x pf AQ98xxx x xxx xx and this monster or anywhere in between. This is noted as there is easy way to reasonably to bid slam after the 3 start. So if I was going to preempt, I would consider only 4 and 2.

However, I see no pressing reason not to open 1, my second choice would be 2 (and I would always open 2 1st seat if I was vulnerable.

This does not mean whoever opened 3 at your table made a misbid. Three spades is a fine bid if you are not a reckless preempter with weak hands in first seat when non-vulnerable like I am. It is the too wide a range for the weakest hand I could hold for 3 and what this hand has that will keep me from preempting with it. If I open this hand 3, we could be cold for game and partner would be afraid that 3 is likely off two, or we may have an easy set of their game or slam and partner might take a phantom. If your opening preempts are sound, this is clearly a 3 bid, and if I had one more trick in my hand (extra spade for instance) I would open 3 first seat vul, no problem.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-25, 12:47

This all boils down to expected standards for a 2s 3s 4s bid etc
depending on vulnerability. For ex at unfavorable I would not want
to have much less to make a weak 2 bid and never think about 3s
or higher. If your partnership agreements include suit quality as
part of a weak 2 bid then you are probably fine doing that especially
if your responses to 2n include 3n to (or something similar to show
a suit headed by AKQ. W/o suit quality agreements it becomes much tougher