Now what?

North/South were Garozzo and JEC

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2014-May-25, 07:36

5 spades
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-25, 14:47

I would hate to be in this position. The good news is 5 will lose at most two in the minors and three hearts for down three (-500) so if they can make game, it is a cheap save. The bad news they might not be able to make 5 (we might have two spades and partner might have as many as two tricks in his hand). It certainly sounds like a very distributional hand but they may be stretching. I don't know if I would pass or bid 5, but I wouldn't be in this exact situation because of the answer to the next question.

Do I agree with the bidding so far? No.

I would open 1, that bid is ok. Over 3 I would have to decide between

• Do I want to bid game and never consider a save against 5? (yes/no). If I knew what to do when (if) they bid 5 I would bid 4. Partner would not be consulted on making a decision over 5 then (he supposedly defined his hand with 2 so he will have to pass over 5 and let me decide what to do.
  • Do I want to take a unilateral save against 5 or 6? Then I would bid 5 now, or I could have bid 4 earlier and then take the push to 5. This is better than passing then bidding 5 as it will not be clear that the 2 overcaller had extra values for his 5. Something that is clear when you pass 3 and they jump to 5. This might have allowed the 3 to bid 6 on some hands.
  • Do I want to suggest a save at the five level? Then I would do one of several things. I might bid 3NT planning on running when doubled, I might bid 4 suggesting taking the push to 5 if partner fits for hearts. I might double 3 if that is not conventional for don't lead a spade to suggest bidding on, or I might cue-bid 4. I
On this hand, I think I would try 4 because if partner fits for hearts as well, and gets him involved in the decision making process. After all this could be a double game swing, with both sides making contracts at the five level. That will let partner know I am considering bidding on over 5. The we could try to cooperate on rather to save or not based on where partner's honors are (heart honors good, minor honors not so good for bidding on).

--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2014-May-25, 14:49

Would have bid 4!s. Pretty tough call over 5!d, but 5!s rates to be right often enough.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-25, 14:54

It may not be everyone's taste but I am strong believer of 4 opening at the first place and be silent for the rest of the auction.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-25, 18:15

I'll bid 5. It would have been nicer if we hadn't passed 3, I'm not sure I would have bid 4, even though that is the most descriptive bid, just because I might be more worried about helping opponents than partner, but it certainly would have been nicest here.

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-May-25, 20:04

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-May-25, 06:55, said:

Agree with the bidding so far?
IMO, there are several possible approaches with this kind of hand
  • Pass and show a 2-suiter later.
  • Open 1.
  • Open 2 and jump rebid in . IMO, quite descriptive.
  • Open 4 as MrAce suggests

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-May-25, 06:55, said:

Now what? North/South were Garozzo and JEC

IMO 5 = 10, Pass = 8, 5 = 6. A drawback of bidding 5 is you may have similar decisions over higher contracts. The problem with bidding is that partner might take the bid as suggesting a lead.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users