BBO Discussion Forums: Q or J? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Q or J?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-24, 14:28

Partner leads to my KQJ and the ace is behind me. I've always played the J so as not to deny this holding but I see a lot of good players play the Q. I assume it's so that the J denies the K but not the Q whereas the Q give partner hope that I might have the K. Is it then standard to play the Q? Does this apply for both suit and notrump contracts?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-24, 20:10

Either those players aren't as good as you think or there is more to the position and overall hand. Could be deceptive play.

Matter of the fact is when play Q they simply deny the J and pd will continue defending thinking that declarer has it. Which is pretty good way of screwing pd unless one believes pd's actions do not matter anymore and trying to decept declarer.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-24, 22:01

Thanks. But the question really is whether (especially for suit play) this would be a better agreement than standard. If I get off to a lead and partner plays the jack and then I get on lead a second time, I would know whether to look elsewhere for strength because declarer would be marked with the king as well. OTOH, if partner played the Q initially, I could still hold out hope that he had the king and if I played that suit again, partner could then win with the Jack revealing KQJ initial holding. I just think that when partner plays the jack initially and declarer wins the ace that the odds often favor partner having either just the J or the QJ as opposed to KQJ.

The players I've seen do this are good, but as you say, they might just have been trying to deceive declarerl.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-May-25, 09:22

I don't know of any who play Q from KQJ, except where perhaps they judge that confusing declarer is, on the particular hand, likely to be more profitable than giving honest information to partner.

What some DO play, is the King from this holding (and in general the top of three touching cards, bottom from 2). The theory being that much of the time partner can work out your honour holding, from the context. Or if he cannot be certain, he can make some necessary assumptions which if not accurate may not be costly.

In other words, if you always play J from QJ and also from KQJ, the distinction between those two holdings is sufficiently slight that partner may not be able reliably to deduce the location of the King when declarer wins the Ace. However, if you play the King then partner knows that either you do not have the Q or that you have both the QJ, and partner has a (slightly) better chance of working out which.

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-25, 13:11

When partner leads the suit, I play J from KQJ almost exclusively. There are times when I play the King. That is when I want partner to switch when he gets in or as a desperate hope it conveys some other message (which usually it doesn't) or to give declarer a false read on my hand.

However, if declarer leads a suit and I am second to play, I play J from QJ if I am playing high and I play K from KQJ for the reasons 1eye stated about on plays by partner. I do, however, more often hide the Ten from QJT or KQJT. Don't remember why I started doing that, but have done it for random reasons for years.
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-25, 13:23

I would say I usually play the jack in this spot and it's been awhile since I've had a good reason to play the Q, but it's come up before for sure.

#7 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-25, 13:32

inquiry, on 2014-May-25, 13:11, said:

I do, however, more often hide the Ten from QJT or KQJT. Don't remember why I started doing that ...

Say it's 3NT and dummy has two. The reason for playing the jack from QJT is to cater for partner holding A9xxx. Declarer wins the king and partner gets in without us being able to Smith. From partner's POV, continuing low can't cost, since declarer either has KQT or KTx. Had we played the ten, partner has the losing option of playing us for JTx and an entry.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2014-May-25, 13:34

rogerclee, on 2014-May-25, 13:23, said:

I would say I usually play the jack in this spot and it's been awhile since I've had a good reason to play the Q, but it's come up before for sure.

Can you give us a for instance? I believe you, but it is of interest. The Q, I mean.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users