BBO Discussion Forums: Are lessons archived? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Are lessons archived?

#1 User is offline   Casey1212 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-19, 08:24

Hi everyone,

So it only took me year to find this forum. Guess I didn't explore the site well enough. Looking forward to reading the wealth of info that is here.

I see that there are lessons on the Vugraph but they always seem to be when I'm at work (you know, that pesky activity that keeps me away from the Bridge table). Is there some way to watch them later in the day?

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-19, 12:00

View PostCasey1212, on 2014-May-19, 08:24, said:

Hi everyone,

So it only took me year to find this forum. Guess I didn't explore the site well enough. Looking forward to reading the wealth of info that is here.

I see that there are lessons on the Vugraph but they always seem to be when I'm at work (you know, that pesky activity that keeps me away from the Bridge table). Is there some way to watch them later in the day?

- take a look at the bridge movies in BBO Store (they are all free): http://bridgebase.com/store/
- the Novice/Beginner Forum and the Intermediate/Advanced have tons of instructive deals, but they aren't tagged or archived in some logical way - perhaps run a Search using the keywork "lesson" in these forums
- and finally there are some lessons archived in BBO News, but not too many as generally news are meant to be just informative notices and not lessons: http://webutil.bridg...st.php?t=lesson

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-19, 13:17

All the stuff ever in the forum is still here. On the bottom of the page you can change how much of a given forum is "filtered". I think the default is 30 days or 60 days. I have changed all of mine to show all. It is in the blue line at the bottom of the window when you click on a forum like the beginner one. It says something like "click here to see filter options". Click on that and select all.

Use the page number buttons to jump to last page which actually takes you to the first page of post (the oldest post). You can then work your way forward in time. There are 34 total pages in this forum on my computer (10 post per page).

For instance you will find the counting pips article that is outdated (counting pips) because of Fred's game page (Counting game). There are articles explaining imps and matchpoint scoring, the concept of balancing an auction, etc.

Originally there were not much problems as we didn't have a good way to display the hands. Perhaps we could go through the older forums and make links to the interesting problem hands.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-19, 15:42

Actually this is an interesting topic and question by Casey can contribute something needed for the forum. It is very hard for a newcomer to BBF to find that type of information easily. There had been very good lessons or lesson like posts by a lot of players in the history of BBF. Some of them pinned and some not. For example reverse bidding by MikeH, a lot of defense problems which shows you how important it is to count opponents hands and how easy it can beto solve problems at the table which seemed to be very tough at the first lead mostly by Ben.

I think we should have a forum, either showing the links to this type of information as Ben said very well or simply just putting the copy of these topics in the new forum by going through the old topics. I know it is very tuff to do that by only mods, so the rest can as well suggest to a mod that was missed for whatever reason, if they see one. We can actually have more than just lesson or play problem topics in this forum. For example from time to time we see newcomers post a topic which addresses a very common gadget and/or seeking advice for a common subject that has been already covered in the past to the satisfactory. Probably better to take out the flammatory replies or parts of replies.

And this new forum should be "read only" imo and not open to discussion. It is for the purpose of "catching up" by new comers, and if they feel like to add a reply or question, they can easily go to the original topic and do so.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

• Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-19, 17:54

View PostMrAce, on 2014-May-19, 15:42, said:

Actually this is an interesting topic and question by Casey can contribute something needed for the forum. It is very hard for a newcomer to BBF to find that type of information easily. There had been very good lessons or lesson like posts by a lot of players in the history of BBF. Some of them pinned and some not. For example reverse bidding by MikeH, a lot of defense problems which shows you how important it is to count opponents hands and how easy it can beto solve problems at the table which seemed to be very tough at the first lead mostly by Ben.

I think we should have a forum, either showing the links to this type of information as Ben said very well or simply just putting the copy of these topics in the new forum by going through the old topics. I know it is very tuff to do that by only mods, so the rest can as well suggest to a mod that was missed for whatever reason, if they see one. We can actually have more than just lesson or play problem topics in this forum. For example from time to time we see newcomers post a topic which addresses a very common gadget and/or seeking advice for a common subject that has been already covered in the past to the satisfactory. Probably better to take out the flammatory replies or parts of replies.

And this new forum should be "read only" imo and not open to discussion. It is for the purpose of "catching up" by new comers, and if they feel like to add a reply or question, they can easily go to the original topic and do so.

Here is an old link which contains links to the first dozen "good idea" puzzles in the first post. Then in a later post in the same thread is links to 43 problem hands from advanced and expert threads (by multiple authors). The link: Good idea set poll post. All those problems predate Feb 2004

A couple of others no on the last link: good idea 13, good idea 14 what would be good idea 15. This is where I stopped that series due to lack of interest. Later I started a series I called "BBO Makeable slams" where I picked slams that people botched up badly on BBO (thanks to being able to probe online hands). They were also named make able and bbo making slams. One example is BBO Makeable slam 07 which has links to three other problems with a similar theme to the one in the #7 quiz. There were 20 of those I think.

There is also a long series on squeezes, that I have made into a BBO movie, I might make the BBO movie public soon if there is interest. I need to find a way to make the "chapters" shorter for the movies, maybe breaking each into three of four subchapters because otherwise you have to go from start to end... and I included a LOT OF SQUEEZE hands in the movies to try.
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   Casey1212 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-19, 21:38

Thanks for the responses.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-20, 03:40

Gwnn used to keep links to lots of useful threads. Not sure if that is still going but perhaps he can post the link again since I do not have it saved on the PC I am posting it from today.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users