BBO Discussion Forums: Your bid after 1D-2C overcall? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Your bid after 1D-2C overcall?

Poll: Your bid after 1D-2C overcall? (38 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid after 1D-2C overcall?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2S (Not NFB but not GF) (30 votes [78.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

3. X (negative) (7 votes [18.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

4. 2D (simple raise) (1 votes [2.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.63%

5. 3C limit+ in D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2014-May-19, 21:25

My thoughts while playing were basically the same as Mr Ace's and with the full knowledge that it can be difficult to stop below game after 2. I'd rather have at least a real 10 useful HCP count here, but looking at that stiff which is both good for offense and also means that the opps may raise after my negX I stretched to show my 5 card boss suit, concerned that it might get lost otherwise.

After 2 LHO did indeed raise to 3 and PD passed so I competed with 3 (my plan anyhow and noting that a fit for PD was part of the reason for my slightly pushy 2 bid. PD then came back to life with a 3NT bid which was completely hopeless with his flat 12 HCP.

After that I apologized that I was unaware that 3 from me on that sequence showed extras and he apologized as well. I thought that was the end of it, until a very strong player and a rather new good friend of mine told me that while PD should've passed 3 with his lousy hand, I wasn't good enough to bid 2. Therefore, I made a poll here in N/B rather than I/A.

I chose the aggressive approach with this hand due to 5 and a stiff in their suit and it didn't work out. I'd like to think that I had I made a negX and then on the same sequence after 3 passed back to me, bid 3 that PD would've passed but who knows with pickups?

#22 User is offline   jdgalt 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Also a board game player (I'm "jdgalt" on BoardGameGeek, too).

Posted 2014-May-20, 19:24

2S seems to describe my hand better than double, as well as not losing our spade fit if partner has 3 and LHO bids. Double (in my view) not only suggests 4-4 majors, it also denies diamonds (which I will probably go back to if pard doesn't raise spades).

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-21, 06:52

View Postjdgalt, on 2014-May-20, 19:24, said:

Double (in my view) not only suggests 4-4 majors, it also denies diamonds (which I will probably go back to if pard doesn't raise spades).

What are you planning to do with a decent (43)42 hand? The space after a 2 overcall is already cramped enough without restricting your most flexible call to a comparatively rare hand type. In any case, suggesting such an unusual treatment as standard in N/B is not a good idea.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users