BBO Discussion Forums: Play 008. A lesson hand - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Play 008. A lesson hand

Poll: Play 008. A lesson hand (13 member(s) have cast votes)

What description would you use to describe the correct play on this hand?

1. Finesse (5 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. Safety Play (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Discovery Play (11 votes [45.83%])

Percentage of vote: 45.83%

4. Squeeze (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. Elimination (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. End Play (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-13, 10:32

Another straight forward hand that should not be a problem for most participants in the BBO forums, explaining why I posted it in this section. Once again, people managed to win between 7 and 13 tricks on this hand, with the most common number being 11 and 12 tricks. Here let's just focus on winning 12 tricks for certain.

As for the bidding. I am not fond of North's 3 cue-bid, I would have preferred double, but it did simplify the auction. 5NT was not an invite to 6NT, it was meant as pick a strain (presumably between the minors). Note, 6 would have been very easy to make by ruffing a heart in north (5, 3, 2, 1, 1-ruff for 12). The problem now becomes how to get a 12th trick in notrump.

In answering the quiz, a couple of the terms could apply. Feel free to vote for more than one, but if you do, please provide your answer in the form of a spoiler which explains how each does (or might) apply to the 100% line assuming hearts are as advertised (six with West, four with East). This is meant as a lesson hand to demonstrate items players might think about at trick one, so such discussion of why you would consider each such play would be helpful.

As before, intermediate and above players please provide your answers hidden in spoilers. If you don't know how to create a spoiler, see play 006 in this forum for instructions.

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-16, 01:10

Spoiler

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-16, 14:41

I think Ben's excellent threads deserve more replies, so I'll give it a shot.

Spoiler

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-16, 16:08

It's an excellent thread. So here's my attempt:

Win the A, then cash Q and play low to A.
A. East shows out on the second :
Spoiler

B. Both opponents follow to the two rounds of or West shows out on the second :
Spoiler

I wonder -- if split 2-2 and (two tricks later) West reveals a 4-card club, what is best?
Spoiler

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-May-16, 16:35

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 02:57

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 03:04

View Postshyams, on 2014-May-16, 16:08, said:

It's an excellent thread. So here's my attempt:

Win the A, then cash Q and play low to A.
A. East shows out on the second :
Spoiler

B. Both opponents follow to the two rounds of or West shows out on the second :
Spoiler

I wonder -- if split 2-2 and (two tricks later) West reveals a 4-card club, what is best?
Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-May-17, 08:49

I am glad that there has finally been some interest in this hand. When I stumbled across it in BBO hand records, I thought it an interesting hand to show some thought processes. We will start off with the wrong though process, some people won the heart and fairly quickly took the spade finesse. When that lost, there was an avalanche of hearts cashed. Let's just say that play was very wrong, but could have worked I guess (matter of fact, depending upon who has the spade queen, one way the finesse could be taken has to work). From the poll answers, the many people correctly saw the solution, marked the poll and moved on.

What I was envisioning as talking points for this hand is hidden below, but from the answers above and the variability in the poll answers, you can see that there are many ways possible classifications for this hand. The actual hand and one variation is shown below.

Spoiler

--Ben--

#9 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 12:11

If West turns up with 1, then do we even need to risk his having made the inspired lead from Kxxxxx? If you run all 5, then in order to give you any problems, West must discard 4 (if he discards a , you will get sufficient count on after cashing AK; If he discards a you will know what to do after cashing K). East, can't discard a either, and if he discards a , then you will also know what to do after cashing AK (either East follows to both, meaning only West could have 4, or he shows out and you have a complete count of the hand), so to give you a problem, he must come down to a singleton as well. Now you can throw either player in with a .

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 13:01

View PostEricK, on 2014-May-17, 12:11, said:

If West turns up with 1, then do we even need to risk his having made the inspired lead from Kxxxxx? If you run all 5, then in order to give you any problems, West must discard 4 (if he discards a , you will get sufficient count on after cashing AK; If he discards a you will know what to do after cashing K). East, can't discard a either, and if he discards a , then you will also know what to do after cashing AK (either East follows to both, meaning only West could have 4, or he shows out and you have a complete count of the hand), so to give you a problem, he must come down to a singleton as well. Now you can throw either player in with a .

I might have misread this LOP but if you opt to throw the opp with singleton
heart Q in how do you know they do not also have the spade Q?

#11 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-17, 13:19

View Postgszes, on 2014-May-17, 13:01, said:

I might have misread this LOP but if you opt to throw the opp with singleton
heart Q in how do you know they do not also have the spade Q?

If you run 5 immediately and they both come down to singleton , then you do the throw-in without touching . If one of them keeps two and throws a , then you can play AK, but don't need the throw-in as you will have a sufficient count of the hands to play the correctly.

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-May-18, 22:47

View PostEricK, on 2014-May-17, 13:19, said:

If you run 5 immediately and they both come down to singleton , then you do the throw-in without touching . If one of them keeps two and throws a , then you can play AK, but don't need the throw-in as you will have a sufficient count of the hands to play the correctly.

Nice catch Eric. This is the ending he points out after running five diamonds (discard low spade from dummy.

If both opponents have only one heart left, a heart exit will force them to lead a black suit. If West ever pitched a club, you can cash spades to get accurate count (can he have long clubs). If East keeps two hearts (which might be Qx), you can afford to cash two spades again. IF East follows twice, you know he had three diamonds, four hearts, and at least three spades (he having thrown one earlier). You know therefore that he can not have four clubs. So the discovery play works just fine without risking the strip-squeeze endplay mentioned earlier.

Very nice.

--Ben--

#13 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-19, 00:19

In what world is this a beginner hand?

As far as I'm concerned, a beginner can't count to 13 in more than one way at a time without falling over. In fact, most beginners can't count to 13 except in the trump suit, or perhaps a single long suit when playing notrump.

Also, no beginner I know has ever pulled off a squeeze on purpose, and rarely has one managed to pull off an endplay on purpose.

Here you need to count to 13 in two suits (hearts and clubs) and keep in mind that West has exactly 13 cards to start with. Then you need to keep in mind finesse (in clubs), endplay, and squeeze possibilities all at once.

I don't know anyone close to resembling a beginner who can do this problem at the table.

I teach math at a university. Over the course of a semester, I get a fairly good handle on the abilities of my students in analyzing possibilities, putting together various pieces of information, and logically arriving at a conclusion. I don't think more than 15% of my students could, if they learn bridge and play regularly for the next 10 years, solve this problem at the table.

I think this is a great problem, and I enjoyed figuring it out, and I think it is very educational for the bridge player at the right level. But please don't stick it in the beginner forum. You're just going to scare the beginners. Most beginners simply can't imagine becoming smart enough to figure out this problem, and you can become a fairly good bridge player enjoying success at your club or at local tournaments without being able to figure this out. A hand this hard shows up something like once a round, and you'll get a lot more mileage out of cutting your dumb mistakes from 10 a round to 8, or sharpening your competitive bidding judgement.

#14 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-19, 00:33

View Postakwoo, on 2014-May-19, 00:19, said:

As far as I'm concerned, a beginner can't count to 13 in more than one way at a time without falling over. In fact, most beginners can't count to 13 except in the trump suit, or perhaps a single long suit when playing notrump.

Also, no beginner I know has ever pulled off a squeeze on purpose, and rarely has one managed to pull off an endplay on purpose.

Here you need to count to 13 in two suits (hearts and clubs) and keep in mind that West has exactly 13 cards to start with. Then you need to keep in mind finesse (in clubs), endplay, and squeeze possibilities all at once.

I don't know anyone close to resembling a beginner who can do this problem at the table.

Great pep talk for the novices and beginners in this forum :rolleyes: I see these types of discovery plays where declarer plays off winners to figure who is long or short in a side suit all the time in newspaper columns, and I'm pretty sure that the huge majority of newspaper readers aren't nearly as good as the novices and beginners in this forum (based on several people I know who read those bridge columns but I wouldn't call them bridge players by any stretch of the imagination).

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-19, 01:24

Echo akwoo. The beginner will maybe take a finesse immediately but hopefully cash his winners and make it If clubs break. The intermediate will test the clubs and if they don't break he will take the spade finesse against east who is more likely to have spade length on the bidding. So this is at least an advanced problem.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-May-19, 07:55

The reason it was entitled (subtitle) A lesson hand, is that it was meant as a lesson hand for beginners. IF I had placed a simple discovery play hand in the intermediate forum I would equally have been hammered. It allowed a discussion of the thought process. Why not a spade finesse, why not just randomly take two top clubs, etc. I could have made it more exciting by making it Matchpoints or board a match, perhaps where getting the 13th trick might have been critical, but I think as a lesson hand this one has a lot going for it. I admitted in the initial write up a lot of people took fewer than the desired number of tricks, so from that standpoint, I think I made it clear that beginners would struggle with them.
--Ben--

#17 User is offline   Casey1212 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-May-19, 09:01

In mine. I consider myself to be a beginner though I do work pretty hard at learning the game. I found the hand very interesting and thought about just about everything I needed to to make the contract. But even if I hadn't, it's a great learning hand with a clear description of what the thinking process should be. Part of the problem with learning bridge is figuring out what to consider when you're making your plan and working through the hand. It's overwhelming at times. The solution to this hand is very easy to follow. Sure, it will be awhile before I'll do this well under pressure but a few months ago I didn't even know about most of it and this type of description adds to my knowledge.

I've just found this forum and, if this is the type of gem I'm going to find here, I can't wait to read everything.

Thanks to the OP.

#18 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-May-19, 09:15

Casey1212 is right. Beginners learn by slightly stretching themselves. If we all got the right answers, Inquiry's problems would be less educationally effective. In a good problem:
  • The undelying scenario is of quite frequent occurrence.
  • The corect line is pretty but simple.
  • The expanation is comprehensible to most beginners (basically, it's an interesting and amusing exercise in safety-play/finessing/counting; and, possibly, elimination/end-play).
  • So this deal qualifies as good material for improvers.

#19 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-19, 10:32

I was going to reply, but instead of taking this further off topic (because I think non-bridge education is relevant) I'll start a thread in the Water Cooler forum.

#20 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-19, 12:27

View PostCasey1212, on 2014-May-19, 09:01, said:

In mine. I consider myself to be a beginner though I do work pretty hard at learning the game. I found the hand very interesting and thought about just about everything I needed to to make the contract. But even if I hadn't, it's a great learning hand with a clear description of what the thinking process should be. Part of the problem with learning bridge is figuring out what to consider when you're making your plan and working through the hand. It's overwhelming at times. The solution to this hand is very easy to follow. Sure, it will be awhile before I'll do this well under pressure but a few months ago I didn't even know about most of it and this type of description adds to my knowledge.

I've just found this forum and, if this is the type of gem I'm going to find here, I can't wait to read everything.

Thanks to the OP.

Agree it is a good problem, well presented and explained.

On the other hand. You seem to be a bright and dedicated learner. With at least a few months of play and study behind you - and clearly advancing during that time - you cannot be reasonably called a beginner any longer, IMO. Perhaps novice, but more likely intermediate.

Keep it up, hope you enjoy it!
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users