3C-3H
4H-4S(2)
5C-5D
5H-5N(3)
6C(?)-7C(??)

(1) 2/1 GF
(2) Cuebid
(3) Grand H invitation
(?) Denying two honors in H, but have extra strength in C(is my understanding right?)
(??) Long tempo, then I bid 7c:( I know pd doesnt have hq, but hoping pd has sk, or hjt, or sq, and 12 tricks for sure, and perhaps we can find the 13th trick one way or other)

But it turned out there is simply no play, so I claimed quickly down 1.

POST-MORTEM: 6C IS A VERY NICE BID, shall i stop at it or change it to 6H? Any other way for further inquiry?

#2 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-June-30, 05:42

At matchpoints, it's a reasonable gamble, tough I think I would have stopped at 6, because I think a lot of people will stop at 6.

At IMPs, pass.

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-June-30, 07:07

Playing with random but decent player(better than me:)), I holds:
S: A
H: AXX
D: AKXX
C: KTXXX

Pd holds:
S: X
H: KXXXX
D: QX
C: AQJXX

Pd opened 1H as dealer, the auction goes as follows:
1H-2C(1)
3C-3H
4H-4S(2)
5C-5D
5H-5N(3)
6C(?)-7C(??)

Any other way for further inquiry?

hehe, the perfect way to ask a question....

This is a tuff hand. With a random pickup partner, even one better than you, you are more or less stuck here I think. It is hard to imagine the opponents with 11 spades and not bidding, so the fact that there is no spade ruff to be had is difficult to pick up on. I think at imps I would stick in 6Clubs (or maybe 6 hearts) but at matchpoints 7 Clubs is not a bad shot. Just doesn't work.

As an aside, I recommend that you learn the kantar roman key card blackwood. After "double suit agreement" there are six key cards, not five" and you can find out about the queens too. Using this you can find out what you need to know fairly quickly....

1H-2C
3C-3H
4H-4N (RKC with "two suit agreement"
5S-5NT (5S = two key cards + lower Queen only)
6C-Pass

5NT in Kantar world here ask for specific king. In theory here, your partner with both Diamond and spade kings would bid the grand (or course you have the diamond king, but he doesn't know that). The question is how should partner respond with no extra kings. Kantar says signoff in the agreed trumps with no side king. Show the king with it.

Here, you have two agreed trump suits (C and H). If kantar had a rule for such hands in his 20 chapters on RKB, I don't remember it. So I bid the cheaper of the agree trump suit with no additional king. And the higher of the agreed trump suit with an "unshowable" king.

Thus with Diamond king over 5NT, I would bid 6D (we can always get out in 6H if partner needs the spade king). With the spade king I bid 6H (and we are out in 6H if partner needs the diamond king). So that leaves 6C with no side king. Now we can still get out in 6H (or importantly, 6C). And if partner is looking for just one extra trick after I deny any side king, he can bid 6D as one last stab at the grand.

For more on kantar Roman key cards auctions see.
http://www.kantarbridge.com/RKB.htm

(BTW, there is an important additional use of the two suit agreement. If one partner shows a two suiter, and the other rather balanced hand, then the response to RKCB is with the same two suit agreement using 6 keycards instead of five).

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-June-30, 07:52

Playing with random but decent player(better than me:)), I holds:
S: A
H: AXX
D: AKXX
C: KTXXX

Pd holds:
S: X
H: KXXXX
D: QX
C: AQJXX

Pd opened 1H as dealer, the auction goes as follows:
1H-2C(1)
3C-3H
4H-4S(2)
5C-5D
5H-5N(3)
6C(?)-7C(??)

In matchpoints just bid 6h and relax, next board please.
At imps you can just pass 6c, playing 7 without the hQ seems to be anti-percentage.
The legend of the black octogon.

#5 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-June-30, 08:25

For more on kantar Roman key cards auctions see.
http://www.kantarbridge.com/RKB.htm

(BTW, there is an important additional use of the two suit agreement. If one partner shows a two suiter, and the other rather balanced hand, then the response to RKCB is with the same two suit agreement using 6 keycards instead of five).

Ben

I'd not to learn this too sophisticated tool b4 I became a prof player:) I prefer natural and straightforward bidding, just like the Old man of Naples in David Bird's "All Hands On Deck" ;D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users