BBO Discussion Forums: BBF Pairs on Saturday, May 10th at 2PM New York Time (8PM Central Europe) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF Pairs on Saturday, May 10th at 2PM New York Time (8PM Central Europe)

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-May-07, 19:09

2nd BBO Forums tourney scheduled for Saturday, May 10 at 2PM EDT (8PM CET).

I wanted to do this on Sunday, but the US Trials will be on vugraph starting with 1PM EDT so I won't have time to host a tourney then. Plus I suppose most of the forumers would rather watch vugraph anyway.

Tournament posted, open to anyone who has logged on the BBO Forums in 2014. Pairs, 20 boards, MPs, swiss, robots allowed. Host: diana_eva. Title: #7312 Pairs BBO Forums Sat 2PM EDT (8PM CET)
I hope those who read the forums but don't post will come and play too - this is open to all forum readers, not only for the regular posters.
If you're using the web version or the mobile app, the tournament will show on the list of pending tournaments two hours before start.

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-08, 20:10

Also Sunday is Mother's Day. I'll see what I can do about Saturday, but I hope to support your efforts.
Ken

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-09, 00:46

OK. Let's see if this will be a tourney or a team match lol.

BTW if any of the forumers wants to play with a regular partner who isn't a forum member let me know in private and i'll add them to the custom list so they can register.

#4 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2014-May-09, 03:16

I'm going to try to make it.

I'm giving a lecture at one of the local colleges.
Depending on traffic I may or may not be there.
Alderaan delenda est

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2014-May-10, 00:05

Won't everyone be watching rounds 5 and 6 of the NFL Draft then? ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 11:15

Tourney starting in abt 45 minutes. If you want to play with a regular pd who isn't a member i'll need a few minutes to add them so pls try not to leave it to the last moment.

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 14:05

Only two tables this time, still very enjoyable. I wont set up a tourney next week, I'll be busy with vugraph but will try again after the US Trials.

Results here if you are curious who showed up:
http://webutil.bridg...7312-1399745171

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 18:59

I'm guessing you ran a swiss movement? And that BBO still does not know how to do anything other than swiss or Mitchell?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-10, 19:03

Simple round robin is not an option, three sets of seven boards?

#10 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 05:02

I suppose there are various options. I can set it up any way you like. Since there didn't seem to be some overwhelming interest I just picked something randomly and didn't bother to place a poll or get too complicated with logistics. I'm planning to run this tourney as a regular game where forum members can play and feel comfortable among themselves (no randoms). I sincerely doubt there were people out there who wanted to play but "oh, damn, it's swiss, i'm not playing that" :)

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 05:16

I'll explain this further just in case it comes across and some "i don't care" attitude. From my experience in organizing online events, it's more important to get the whole thing started with a minimum decent set of rules and worry about improving it later. Whatever improvements can be made, they are still doable along the way. Even for this particular tourney, if anyone wd have complained about the movement, it wd have taken one click to change that. Since noone asked for it, I left it as it was.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 08:19

I for one, even though I missed it the 2nd time, appreciate the work you are doing Diana. I believe it was good idea and I also believe the participation will improve. When the participation is as low as it is, you may open it to public imho. Anything will be better than 2 tables. As far as I know when people see free tourney they all wanna jump in.But you can limit it to 10 or 12 tables, no need for 80 pairs.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 08:30

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-May-11, 05:02, said:

I can set it up any way you like.

My point is that I don't think you can set it up the way I like, because the BBO software does not support that option.

http://www.bridgebas...owell-movement/
http://www.bridgebas...l-table-counts/
http://www.bridgebas...well-movements/
http://www.bridgebas...owell-movement/
http://www.bridgebas...ells-movements/
    -- Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 08:40

Actually if you really really want that, I CAN set it up as a howell. And your point is so irrelevant - you haven't express interest in joining, you haven't played any, yet you come complain about the movement used. It's just a movement, didn't think it makes any difference. The point was to come play together not to get into a hot debate about what movement works best for a two table game LOL

#15 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 08:46

View PostMrAce, on 2014-May-11, 08:19, said:

I for one, even though I missed it the 2nd time, appreciate the work you are doing Diana. I believe it was good idea and I also believe the participation will improve. When the participation is as low as it is, you may open it to public imho. Anything will be better than 2 tables. As far as I know when people see free tourney they all wanna jump in.But you can limit it to 10 or 12 tables, no need for 80 pairs.

Yeah I think I shd have opened it when it was clear there will be too few tables. Will do so for the next ones. Sorry I didn't think of it.

#16 User is online   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2014-May-11, 11:09

Sorry I missed it.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#17 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 11:23

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-May-11, 08:40, said:

Actually if you really really want that, I CAN set it up as a howell. And your point is so irrelevant - you haven't express interest in joining, you haven't played any, yet you come complain about the movement used. It's just a movement, didn't think it makes any difference. The point was to come play together not to get into a hot debate about what movement works best for a two table game LOL

I'm not looking for hot debates, I was just curious.

I'm glad you can set up Howell tournaments. Can I do it too or is it something only Yellows can do? If I can do it, can you show me how?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#18 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 11:32

Only usernames with some special permission can do it (not necessarily yellow). I never tried it, but will test soon and see how it works. I think I'd need to know in advance how many pairs will play and overall seems more complicated to set up than a regular tournament. Not really sure yet, I asked someone to teach me how :)

#19 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-11, 12:02

I played Saturday and I enjoyed it. I hope this can continue, and I think it is exactly right, for me anyway, to not worry too much about the details as it gets underway. I played twenty hands of bridge, filling in the movement, such as it was. I like the idea of playing with/against players who I knowini the bbf sense of know.

That much being said, I will be gone this weekend visiting friends (and it's a bit tacky to borrow his computer an shut myself off in a room for a couple of hours) and the following weeks are iffy as well. I have some family things on the 24-25th that might or might not allow some bridge time, and then Becky (my wife) and I are off on a trip for a while.

Sorry about these complications, life intrudes on bridge sometimes. I hope you can continue, I appreciate the effort, I hope I can get back in when we get back from our trip.

I say run it if you can, if there are two tables run two tables (unless you would just rather not) and see if it builds. I hope that it does.

To repeat, I enjoyed it, thanks.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users