BBO Discussion Forums: BBF Indy on Sunday, May 4th at 2PM New York Time (8PM Central Europe) - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF Indy on Sunday, May 4th at 2PM New York Time (8PM Central Europe)

#21 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-May-04, 16:56

Let me add my thanks to Diana for setting this up. Great fun to play with and against so many forum members. Here is a hand I miss defended (hand rotated so that south is declarer) .

This was, obviously, an individual. Bidding agreements very slim.

Opening lead was the 5 to surprise 4-J-A.

Trick two, declarer plays the Q, partner follows suit low. Think about the best defensive plan, but not too long, declarer is watching.

--Ben--

#22 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-04, 17:27

Was fun to play. I took the last place and I am hoping to do better next time :)
The hand Inquiry posted is nice. While I am not happy at all with my line he surely took full advantage of it, very nice play :)

#23 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-May-04, 18:08

View Postbluecalm, on 2014-May-04, 17:27, said:

Was fun to play. I took the last place and I am hoping to do better next time :)
The hand Inquiry posted is nice. While I am not happy at all with my line he surely took full advantage of it, very nice play :)

You had a guess, you guessed wrong which happens. I think I had more information and I should have played better, but didn't. I think it is an interesting defensive hand that I botched.
--Ben--

#24 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-05, 03:10

Basically I played you for 2551. My play also relied on defensive error from W (club ruff available but not given). That and you passing with Ax xxxxx xxxxx x over 2S is rather unlikely parlay :)

#25 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-May-05, 10:20

View Postbluecalm, on 2014-May-05, 03:10, said:

Basically I played you for 2551. My play also relied on defensive error from W (club ruff available but not given). That and you passing with Ax xxxxx xxxxx x over 2S is rather unlikely parlay :)

Well if I had that, of course, partner made two takeout doubles with Jx AQ Kxxxx Axxx (I would have to have a heart honor). That is simply not possible. More likely, perhaps, I could be AJx xxx Jxxxxx x, but then nothing works, for surely partner would give me a ruff if you tried to enter dummy with a heart now. Anyway, I was afraid to pause for thought as it would give away that I had the A. That was my first mistake.

Here is what I probably should work out 1) partner had a singleton spade (followed suit at trick one!). 2) Partner had five diamonds (with four you would have flown up with the Queen at trick one). Partner will therefore be 1-4-5-3 or less likely 1-3-5-4. Partner needs both aces for us to set the contract. If I duck the first spade, what can you do? If you lead another spades, I win two spades and partner gets two aces. If you cross in clubs, I win the spade from dummy, play a club to partner and ruff a club. If you lay a heart to dummy is the best chance for you. Partner has to win the ACE and underlead the Ace.

This requires partner to be thinking as well. He should work out the short diamond in your hand by same logic. He should work out the spade problem by the switch at trick three, and I will give count. Five diamonds in my hand, the three card heart suit (count), so default doubleton club. Hard defense all around, but findable. Ducking a club might also be needed if I have Qx. I played too fast grabbing the A, in part because I wasn't prepared for you to lead a spade from your hand at trick two. I think this was a nice defensive play hand, that I botched. Your partner did well bidding 3 (A LOTT bid no doubt), otherwise I bid 3 and we might compete to 4, which is a great contract for us (of course, you might bid 4 over diamonds, but if your partner doesn't bid 3 I don't think you will bid 4...).
--Ben--

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users