BBO Discussion Forums: GIB explanations and robot tourney card distributions - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB explanations and robot tourney card distributions

#1 User is offline   Rita50 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-23, 12:51

Hi all,

I like to play robot rebate tournaments, but I have some serious problems with BBO and GIB:
First:
Finesses never seem to make. Often it's worst case distributions. In normal bridge life, even with computer generated hands in club tourneys or regional tourneys it's not like in robot BBO. Often I do not even try to make a finesse, e.g. entering dummy with some difficulty for making a finesse. It is better probability to just play the ace and play to JQ in dummy. King is most probably left of me anyhow.
Now that way I would never ever play in a normal tournament!
Second:
GIB explanations are often just wrong. Especially concerning the length of the bid suit. But also regarding the number of cards GIB thinks he has.
The screenshot which I attach shows GIB thinks he is holding (at least) 15 cards!

How can this be?

Best Regards,
Henriette, Hamburg
Germany

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-23, 13:18

View PostRita50, on 2014-April-23, 12:51, said:

First:
Finesses never seem to make. Often it's worst case distributions. In normal bridge life, even with computer generated hands in club tourneys or regional tourneys it's not like in robot BBO. Often I do not even try to make a finesse, e.g. entering dummy with some difficulty for making a finesse. It is better probability to just play the ace and play to JQ in dummy. King is most probably left of me anyhow.

This is just your imagination, maybe over a small sample size. If you carefully kept track, over a large # of tournaments, not skipping counting of any hands, I guarantee you that you will find that half of your 50% finesses will work. Besides, in a duplicate tournament, if the finesse is off for you, it's off for everyone else also, so it shouldn't hurt your result (unless there is some superior line that avoids the finesse).

Second:
GIB explanations are often just wrong. Especially concerning the length of the bid suit. But also regarding the number of cards GIB thinks he has.
The screenshot which I attach shows GIB thinks he is holding (at least) 15 cards!

There are tons of bugs and omissions in the GIB bidding database that cause bad bids, and bad definitions for bids, bad explanations. Especially for rarer auctions, it falls back on what rules it has so sometimes explanations combine into something nonsensical. If you post the problematic auctions here, BBO personnel will notice them, and slowly fix at least some of them.

Instead of posting screenshots, try finding the options button, there is an "export handviewer link" or something similar, and just copy/paste the URL. Or better yet, follow the instructions here:
http://www.bridgebas...post__p__612386
That way insures we see the whole auction and possible bugs in earlier bids in the sequence as well.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-23, 13:21

duplicate post deleted

#4 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-April-23, 16:17

The explanation is very likely badly fetched ( probably due network issue at the moment). It doesn't represent what GIB "thinks" it shows.

Explanation you see is usually for client. GIB pokes in explanation DB so it gets the normal explanation.

All calls from North have the meaning:

1 - Major suit opening -- 5+ ; 11-21 HCP; 12-22 total points
2 - Opener rebids suit -- 5+ ; 11-21 HCP; 12-22 total points; forcing to 3N
3 - 11-21 HCP; twice rebiddable ; 12-22 total points; forcing to 3N
4 - 2+ ; 11-21 HCP; twice rebiddable ; 12-22 total points
5 - -- 3+ ; 11+ HCP; twice rebiddable ; 12-16 total points

About finesses, there is no conspiracy in neither tourney as hands are randomly dealt. As more you play as more stats you will get.

In one tourney with 8 boards could get 6 contracts in spades, in another could get 3 slams in row.

GIBs don't pass cards under the table when declarer plays a card :)

#5 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2014-April-23, 16:37

And by the way, this tourney was played in 2012-09-23.

Long long time ago and lots of versions of GIB were deployed since then.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users