• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid this one suiter

#1 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-23, 09:02

Mps.

What is the right approach with this freak - do you need to plough 4 right now, leaving partner to take it on with some values/controls? Or is it better to double as the first action and hope for a more civilised auction?

#2 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2014-April-23, 09:21

When you find out, let me know. :)

I would just bid 4. If I were white on red, I might bid 5.

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2014-April-23, 10:35

Doesn't look like a freak hand to me. It's a hand that will have great play in hearts. I'd bid 4H. Over a possible 4S from opps and silent partner I'd probably bid 5H, breaking the preempt rule that says preemptor only has one call :) This will let partner know I have a more freakish hand than what he might expect from 4H. If partner doubles 4S I'll pass.

#4 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-23, 16:04

View Postel mister, on 2014-April-23, 09:02, said:

What is the right approach with this freak - do you need to plough 4 right now, leaving partner to take it on with some values/controls? Or is it better to double as the first action and hope for a more civilised auction?

I wouldn't recommend doubling 1 on this hand. Think how the auction might go. Nothing much good can happen if you do. I would overcall 4. My second choice is 5 on the grounds that there's a fair chance that I'll have to bid that anyway, so it's better to give LHO a first round problem at a higher level.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-24, 06:31

View Postdiana_eva, on 2014-April-23, 10:35, said:

Doesn't look like a freak hand to me. It's a hand that will have great play in hearts. I'd bid 4H. Over a possible 4S from opps and silent partner I'd probably bid 5H, breaking the preempt rule that says preemptor only has one call :) This will let partner know I have a more freakish hand than what he might expect from 4H. If partner doubles 4S I'll pass.

Seems like a good plan. Preempting "twice" isn't common, but there's nothing wrong with it in situations like this.

An alternative is a jump-cue of 3S, hoping pard can bid 3NT with a stopper (LOL).

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-April-24, 06:33

Seems like a good plan. Preempting "twice" isn't common, but there's nothing wrong with it in situations like this.

An alternative is a jump-cue of 3S, hoping pard can bid 3NT with a stopper (LOL).

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-April-24, 06:34

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

Posted 2014-April-24, 06:38

duuuuupe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users