• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How is this squeeze named?

#1 User is offline   xx1943 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-April-22, 05:01

South plays in 6NT and leads with 8 tricks in the bag Diamond A as squeeze-card.
Declarer makes 4 of the last 5 tricks in this 5-card ending by means of a squeeze without count.
Does anyone know the name of this squeeze?

Ty for your answers

Al
Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people.
BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa.
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-April-22, 05:21

Squeeze without the count, bridgeguys also calls this a secondary squeeze
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2014-April-22, 08:18

View Postxx1943, on 2014-April-22, 05:01, said:

South plays in 6NT and leads with 8 tricks in the bag Diamond A as squeeze-card.
Declarer makes 4 of the last 5 tricks in this 5-card ending by means of a squeeze without count.

Ty for your answers

Al

This has all the characteristics of a squeeze Clyde Love called a CLE (companion, lead, entry) squeeze. The basic idea is that the opponent has a choice between establishing a winner immediately (by discarding a spade) or discarding a guard n a suit where you have an companion and late entry.
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2014-April-22, 08:43

Double squeeze
variant

#5 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 09:29

I need help...
I don't see a squeeze ..
I assume the A is led. West and North discard a .
Next South leads a low , J, Q wins ... now what ?
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#6 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 10:21

North pitches a spade when W throws a heart. Then heart to W's ace, W leads a spade and you cash dummy's last heart.

#7 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-April-22, 10:46

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-22, 10:21, said:

North pitches a spade when W throws a heart. Then heart to W's ace, W leads a spade and you cash dummy's last heart.

Or if when you lead a heart, West ducks the A, you continue hearts, win the spade return and win the last heart with the king.

This is NOT a double squeeze variant at all.
--Ben--

#8 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-22, 10:49

View PostAntrax, on 2014-April-22, 10:21, said:

Thanks ...I see it now .... even if West ducks the lead, Declarer plays another and ducks... West winning the now stiff Ace.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2014-April-22, 11:03

Nigel's variant is a Double, and cute.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   toonsak 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2014-April-23, 04:18

strip guard squeeze

#11 User is offline   razorsharp 

• PipPip

Posted 2014-April-23, 08:49

Hmmmmmm.....
Tho I don't remember that Love moniker, it is surely appropriate to call it a CLE - "Clyde Love Expert" squeeze! thanx Inquiry!
razorsharp

#12 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-April-23, 12:11

View Postrazorsharp, on 2014-April-23, 08:49, said:

Hmmmmmm.....
Tho I don't remember that Love moniker, it is surely appropriate to call it a CLE - "Clyde Love Expert" squeeze! thanx Inquiry!
razorsharp

Lol... good new moniker.

BTW, I don't like the naming things like two and three (or more) losers squeeze as "squeeze without count." In fact, the loser count for a CLE squeeze is two. You have to have precisely two losers, and when you have two losers YOUR COUNT IS RIGHT.

Yes, yes, sounds pedantic, but, for a CLE to work, you need two losers, a companion, a lead and an entry. So it is most definitely not a "squeeze without a count", the count is precisely right with two losers. Sadly, the ship has sailed for getting that terminology out of our bridge language.
--Ben--

#13 User is offline   Norm_Mtl 

• Pip

Posted 2014-April-23, 16:49

View Postxx1943, on 2014-April-22, 05:01, said:

Ty for your answers

Al

This is basic positional squeeze without the count or sometimes called strip squeeze.
Note that East hand is more or less useless in this position other than J of clubs to gaurd the 2 of clubs. No pressure on East.
West is squeezed because he must pitch before dummy.
Give East the West cards and only 3 tricks get made on best defence. (East pitches the opposite major than dummy pitches.)
Norm

#14 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-April-24, 06:44

I would call it a variant of setup squeeze, or suit establishment squeeze.

#15 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-April-24, 11:48

The two-loser squeeze :delayed duck.To assist in remembering these three essential requirement for this play were coined the word CLE -companion, lead, entry.(With rare exception, the delayed-duck squeeze fails with three losers).(Lovera)

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-April-24, 11:52

View PostNorm_Mtl, on 2014-April-23, 16:49, said:

This is basic positional squeeze without the count or sometimes called strip squeeze.
Note that East hand is more or less useless in this position other than J of clubs to gaurd the 2 of clubs. No pressure on East.
West is squeezed because he must pitch before dummy.
Give East the West cards and only 3 tricks get made on best defence. (East pitches the opposite major than dummy pitches.)
Norm

Norm_Mtl is right on the "positional nature" of the squeeze. I should have included the term positional in the "CLE" title I gave it earlier. Some of the other answers in this thread are wrong. I've already voiced my general dislike for the term "squeeze without a count" and noted that some squeezes are suppose to work with more than one losers, so having more than one loser does not mean the "count is not right". But here I want to discuss the differences between a CLE and a strip squeeze.

EXSAMPLE ONE: CLE SQUEEZE. This would be a classic CLE (companion, lead, entry) squeeze. NS have three winners in the five card ending, so L=2. South leads the Diamond ACE, West has two losing choices. He can discard a spade, setting up an extra trick immediate or he can discard a heart.

On a heart Discard, south's heart heart two is the "lead", south's heart 3 is the companion, and heart Ace is the etnry. It is important to note the north has two hearts (not three as in the original post... we will come back to this later).

South exits a heart and can claim.

EXAMPLE TWO. STRIP SQUEEZE. Norm_Mtl called the squeeze in he OP a strip squeeze. Here is a modification along the classic lines to demonstrate the technical difference between a strip squeeze and a CLE squeeze.

Here, NS have essentially 4 winners as they can establish a heart by ducking one. The problem, when West wins a heart, they will cash a club.

The club FIVE in West's hand stands in the way of developing a long heart suit winner.

The solution is the "Strip squeeze". South cashes the diamond ACE and what can West do? IF he discards a heart, NS will win all the tricks (north unblocking the huge heart four under the DIAMOND-ACE-HEART QUEEN pitch. IF West discards a spade, the spade 2 is a fourth trick. So West is squeezed out of his exit card (which could be any form of an EXCESSIVE WINNER) and then the heart is ducked.

Mechanically the two squeezes are Similar, and they are NOT POSITIONAL, you can reverse the EW hands and both squeezes work equally well (although hearts are blocked so if West's hand is East's you can't score three heart tricks on a heart discard by East because you can't afford to pitch a heart from dummy before EAST plays.

Now, Strip Squeezes can work with any number of losers from L=2 upwards (certainly 3, 4 and 5). A CLE squeeze works only with L=2. Now lets go back to the original post holding with some more minor tweaks, starting with giving North only two hearts.

EXAMPLE THREE. FLAWED CLE ENDING. Here on the diamond ace, North will discard a club, but the squeeze fails when West discards a heart then ducks the first heart.

The "squeeze" will work if West makes a mistake and wins the Heart ACE because he allows the "entry" part of the CLE with the heart king. The strip squeeze does not work either, because West can afford to keep the Ace and the small club (if we exchange the T for the a . The ending is flawed because there is no entry to South.

So this shows the importance of a third heart in NORTH in the ending. But if we give north a third heart does that make it both a CLE and a strip squeeze ending? Let's look at example Four.

EXAMPLE FOUR. FLAWED SQUEEZE. The same club flaw exist on this ending. On the A west discards the J and awaits his club and heart trick. But we know from the original post, that if West has three hearts, the CLE squeeze works.

So the important aspects that separate the CLE from a traditional "strip Squeeze" can be seen by comparing the first two example squeezes above with this one. A strip squeeze removes either safe exits or excessive winners (see Example five). One could call the squeeze in the original post a positional strip squeeze, but it ignores the important characteristics of the need for the third heart in north that is reflected in EXAMPLE THREE where the squeeze fails without a third heart in north and compare to the original post were it works. Its the failure of example three and the way it works in the original post that locks in the CLE nature of the squeeze.

In Example one, North had only two hearts, but that was enough because south had the certain entry in the heart ace and one duck is enough. The general principle is you can duck a trick in the suit you want to develop and then have an entry to the cash the established card. The reason this doesn't work when there is no heart ACE is there is no re-entry. The reason it works with three-hearts opposite three-hearts is West can't afford to fly the ace and if he ducks, you throw him in with it. This is properties of the CLE squeeze.

The reason it doesn't work if West has the A and a club is BECAUSE IT IS NOT A STRIP SQUEEZE, per se, and I hope the illustration of the importance of the companion, lead, and entry from the examples point out the subtitle differences between the two.

EXAMPLE FIVE, STRIP SQUEEZE WITH FIVE LOSERS. I'll just end with this last example of a strip squeeze. In this eight card ending , NS have three winners (the aces) and five losers. So L=5. When South leads the diamond ACE, West can not afford to discard a heart or a spade, so he discards a club. Now on a low heart out, West will win three clubs and his heart, but NS will win the three aces and a long heart. Gaining a trick. So this squeeze worked with FIVE LOSERS.

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2014-April-24, 12:33
Reason for edit: small spade in south in example five as per wynsten...

--Ben--

#17 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-24, 12:07

EXAMPLE FIVE, STRIP SQUEEZE WITH FIVE LOSERS. I'll just end with this last example of a strip squeeze. In this eight card ending , NS have three winners (the aces) and five losers. So L=5. When South leads the diamond ACE, West can not afford to discard a heart or a spade, so he discards a club. Now on a low heart out, West will win three clubs and his heart, but NS will win the three aces and a long heart. Gaining a trick. So this squeeze worked with FIVE LOSERS.

Why can't West discard a spade?

#18 User is offline   wynsten 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2014-April-24, 12:08

Maybe one of South's small hearts should be a spade.

#19 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2014-April-24, 12:34

View Postwynsten, on 2014-April-24, 12:08, said:

Maybe one of South's small hearts should be a spade.

Good catch.. I added the hand too fast to illustrate an L>2 and flubbed it. Fixed in original now
--Ben--

#20 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2014-April-25, 03:00

When you have a simple squeeze,except that there are two losers with no way to correct the count, (look to see if one stopper is vulnerable. Lacking that,) look to see if one threat suit is of extra length: if so, there is a good chance that the other condition for delayed duck will be satisfied.(From Love text pag.116).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users